PDA

View Full Version : McGuire & TSN

Tinner
12-27-2005, 09:09 AM
is anybody getting tired of hearing McGuire continually talk of the upsides of some of the OHL kids while giving the WHL kids little or no respect. In particular, Dustin Boyd, "who is this guy". We know, why doesn't McGuire?

Jovorock
12-27-2005, 10:02 AM
I use to like McGuire, but after last years WJ's I hate him with a passion. He was so pro Dion I was sick and tired of him. Even this year he had Paneuf on the Olympic team for sure. After Dion wasn't he didn't even mention it. He was sad his boy didn't get a invite.

Sure Phaneuf is a up and coming player, but he is getting use to the NHL level what does anyone think he is ready for the next level? Boumeester and Hannan have alreay played at the higher level, why would Dion be ahead of these two?

Nielson11
12-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry but I can't say anything nice about Pierre Maguire.....he is just a complete Jack Ass.

I'm not even too sure why TSN uses him.....he uses stupid words that don't even relate to hockey....over-hypes everyone and knows **** about players in the West....or anywhere in the United States.

Let's see he coached with the Hartford Whalers in the early 90's....hmm not successful.....Senators from 94-96.....I'm pretty sure they didn't improve until he left.

I personally think he is trying to use broadcasting as a way to get back into the NHL coaching scene. Sadly it's not going to happen.

He is just brutal. I feel sorry for Miller having to work with him. Unfortunately i can't stand to watch hockey games when Maguire is working it, so I just change the channel, I'd rather watch American announcers who atleast don't think they are the balls.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand him.

Nielson

SectionNDeserter
12-27-2005, 10:55 AM
is anybody getting tired of hearing McGuire continually talk of the upsides of some of the OHL kids while giving the WHL kids little or no respect. In particular, Dustin Boyd, "who is this guy". We know, why doesn't McGuire?

I much prefer the analysts etc. on Sportsnet, I don't really like any of the ones on TSN. Pierre McGuire was a lousy coach in the NHL, is annoying to listen to, and has a really great face.... for radio. How TSN ever dug this guy up is beyond me.

Willis on the Welfare
12-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Another World Junior Tournament and more fresh discussions about why Pierre McGuire sucks and we know ten times more about hockey than he ever will.

He knows plenty about western players. On one hand you say he doesn't know anything or care about players from the dub, and then you say he talk too much about Phaneuf, a player born in Edmonton, played junior in Red Deer who now plays for the Calgary Flames!

Pierre has his own style, is head and shoulders above any crappy WHL color guy, adn is the best on TV. Do you honestly think Harry Neale is better? American announcers hwo don't even know the rules?

Pierre isn't for everyone, but he IS the best.

Willi$

Nielson11
12-27-2005, 11:17 AM

Willi$

Everyone can have their opinion, but I'm afraid you will be in the minority here.

SectionNDeserter
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear that Pierre McGuire hacked your WHLfans password Willis. :)

Jovorock
12-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Pierre McGuire hacked your WHLfans password Willis. :)
Willis must be Pierre, I can't see anyone saying McGuire is the best?

Tinner
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Willis is only stirring the pot. Come clean Willis, because u lose a lot of credability by dissing Harry Neale over McGuire. The States guys are homers not announcers, but they aren't as annoying as McGuire.

Willis on the Welfare
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Harry Neale is only coasting on his reputation. Watch hockey night in Canada and listen to what he adds. Nothing. Bob Cole carries that show. Harry worked hard to get where he is, but is coasting on reputation.

Pierre's delivery can be very in your face and he can come across as pompous. No other commentator in sports would have caught the official being out of place the way Pierre did during the 1st period of the Finland game. He sees things no one else sees and notices.

Here's a homework assignment for all of you; Watch a period of Harry Neale color and Pierre McGuire color. I guarantee you'll learn more and get ten times the insight from Pierre than you would from Neale or any other color guy in the business. You may get annoyed from time to time, but you will get the best insight in hockey.

Willi$

Tinner
12-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I think the differences in the two are; McGuire thinks we are all dummies and that his job is to teach the novice hockey fan the game and to help coach more experienced fans on the facets that make up the game, all while using big words with no reason to use them. Neale on the other hand, tries to input some fun into his color commentary by giving little axioms and background on what players are doing both on and off the ice. He is direct in his comments about players making mistakes and lets Cole interpet the on ice events.

Colors commentary guys have to inject the personal touch into the game without getting to carried away on trying to tell us that because a player uses a wood stick, his passing is better. Useless information or patronizing fans is an annoying quality and McGuire does just that.

I'll take Harry Neale/Bob Cole, Sam Rosen/John Davidson, or Jim Hughson/John Garrett before the TSN tantam of McGuire/Miller. In fact, I'm sure there's a tantam in the WHL that would do a better job. Being prepared is half the battle, and McGuire's knowledge is limited.

In the crowd
12-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I can't stand McGuire, he is y far the most annoying color man I have ever heard, even when he makes a good point he's annoying about it "He was double Dion'd". What a joke. I wonder if TSN is waiting for his contract to expire, or if they are to blind to see that nobody can stand him. I got sick of hearing his comparisons to Steve Larmer last night. I wish CBC was covering the tournament.

iggy_23
12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
WOW i guess i am in the minority when it comes to mcguire i think he is one of the better Color men in Hockey, right behind John Davidson. I dunno how you people can like harry Neale with all of his useless stats every boardcasts. Anyone can spell out those useless facts.

RunTheGoalie
12-27-2005, 02:18 PM
McGuire's most common trick is to simply ignore what doesnt suit his view of the world. The two-line pass thing at last year's WJC's was the most blatant: The one time in ten a breakaway-stretch pass worked, he spent 15 minutes talking about it and how the NHL needed to adopt that rule. But the nine times in ten that that pass ended up as an icing, not a word...

McGuire knows hockey, there is little doubt of that. He is a pitifully terrible color commentator though, and yes, Neale is better, even though both are terrible.

langdak
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
All i know is thank god i am attending all the games he is doing the commentary for.

I dont know if i could stand listening to him through another tournament.

Its bad enough that i have to sit at the rink and look at him and Miller on the opposite side calling the game, let alone being subjected to listening to him.

WHEATMAN
12-27-2005, 03:12 PM
WOW i guess i am in the minority when it comes to mcguire i think he is one of the better Color men in Hockey, right behind John Davidson. I dunno how you people can like harry Neale with all of his useless stats every boardcasts. Anyone can spell out those useless facts.

gotta agree, i think i am one of the few who likes mcguire, the only anoiance i have noticed is he tends to compare every player on the ice to a hall of famer ex. boyd-larmer, toews- trottier, but for the most part mcguire does a hell of a good job

Oh-Vee
12-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Pierre has his own style, is head and shoulders above any crappy WHL color guy, adn is the best on TV. Do you honestly think Harry Neale is better? American announcers hwo don't even know the rules?

Willi$

I am going to have to agree with willis on this one. I think that John Davidson is the best colour guy out there right now and Pierre is second (not that I have heard every colour guy). The guys from Colorado are so brutal that I will put the game on mute. Harry Neale is too good of friends with Pat Quinn to give any meaningful insight. It is always pro Leafs with Harry.

Pierre is way better than the WHL guys I have heard espessially the guy we have in Swift.

Willis on the Welfare
12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Pierre is way better than the WHL guys I have heard espessially the guy we have in Swift.

You must be talking about Switzer. He's a joke. However he is quite handsome....but still terrible on the radio.

langdak
12-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Speaking of WHL broadcasters.........

****Warning, this is nothing against the PG Cougars, the fans or the residents of the city****

OH MY!!!!!!!!! These guys are homers

Beaner will agree with me on this one i am sure

I am honestly surprised they know their a$$ from a hole in the wall

If anybody gets a chance to listen to their radio guys, give it a go, i will guarantee non stop shaking of your heads, i was ready to off myself after listening to those guys on one of the webcasts

I am not sure if they are the only 2 guys that volunteered for the jobs, but there has to be something better up there, those guys are absolutely brutal

They are good for a little comic relief if nothing else, they may have endulged in a few wobbly pops before the game i listened to :spineyes:

Flathead
12-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Personally I like Harry Neale the best, John Davidson the worst and Pierre McGuire some where in between.

Chipper
12-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Speaking of WHL broadcasters.........

****Warning, this is nothing against the PG Cougars, the fans or the residents of the city****

OH MY!!!!!!!!! These guys are homers

Beaner will agree with me on this one i am sure

I am honestly surprised they know their a$$ from a hole in the wall

If anybody gets a chance to listen to their radio guys, give it a go, i will guarantee non stop shaking of your heads, i was ready to off myself after listening to those guys on one of the webcasts

I am not sure if they are the only 2 guys that volunteered for the jobs, but there has to be something better up there, those guys are absolutely brutal

They are good for a little comic relief if nothing else, they may have endulged in a few wobbly pops before the game i listened to :spineyes:

I think all whl brodcasters are homers. They are all paid by the teams the brodcast for , they ride on the bus with the team and I think they get access to alot of inside information. They are just doing their jobs and keeping their local fans happy. how can they not be suportive of the team that pays them.

Tinner
12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
got to agree with chipper. because they ride on the bus, because they work for the team, and in some cases even billett, they are going to call the game from their teams point of view.

reminds me of Fred Kusik and Derek Sanderson doing the Bruins games, they'd lose 4-3 and they'd pick all 3 stars from the Bruins. That said, I like Harry Neale, but if you ever get a chance to listen to him when he works for the Leafs network, you'll see a homer in its greatest moment.

Flathead
12-28-2005, 01:58 PM
reminds me of Fred Kusik and Derek Sanderson doing the Bruins games, they'd lose 4-3 and they'd pick all 3 stars from the Bruins..
Are these the same two guys that still do games on NESN for the Bruins? I had been forced to listen to them a few times, they'll go four or five shifts not calling the game, instead they're telling some terriblly boring story that has nothing to do with the game or even hockey. Mind you their boring non hockey related story is better than when they actually call the game. If you weren't asleep before the game started you will be by the end of the first, regardless of how good the game is. American announcers are way to big into the stats, must be from years of boring baseball stats.

Beaner
12-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I think all whl brodcasters are homers. They are all paid by the teams the brodcast for , they ride on the bus with the team and I think they get access to alot of inside information. They are just doing their jobs and keeping their local fans happy. how can they not be suportive of the team that pays them.

I agree with that. However, there is a difference between supporting the team you comment for and giving an accurate report of what is going on. The PG guys are brutal, and I have listened to almost every broadcast team in the dub now thanks to the broadcasts.

The Rebels guys for example, last night, were definatley pro-Rebel, as they should be, BUT their commentary was an honest reflection of what was going on. When the Rebels made a mistake they said it. When a Rebel took a bad penalty, they said good call. That I can live with, a blatent version where the team you are commenting on can do no wrong, as what happens with PG, drives me nuts.

Sput
12-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I have to agree with Beaner and Langdak. The PBP guy in PG is HORRIBLE! He is the only reason I don't take a radio to the games anymore. He doesn't know who is on the ice, who passed the puck to where, hell....he's even forgotten what team the Cougs are playing at times, and what city he is in. This guy can make the most exciting game sound boring. Not really what you want from your PBP guy. The only conselation is he isn't paid by the team, but by the radio station that brodcasts the games. The color guy has been mostly volunteer lately. Hard to fire someone who doesn't get paid right?

ScottyWazz
12-31-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm not a huge fan of McGuire, but I'm not a "hater" (as the kids say). He has his own style and his own little niche that makes him who he is. Harry Neale, it seems like he could fall asleep, wake up, give out a stat which is just out of nowhere, then go back to sleep.

However, if you want to hear bad-- watch a Washington Capitals broadcast and try to listen to Craig Laughlin. I had to endure that punk for 17 years before I moved to Calgary. Every time I heard Laughlin talk, I wanted to punch him in the throat. Everyone is his buddy, he has to jump on Joe Beninati's play-by-play, and he's an egotistical hack. Now that's bad color commentating.