PDA

View Full Version : ID'd at the doors??? ***

fightstrap50
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I dont want to go on a big rant here but it may just turn out that way.
At tonights game in Cranbrook which turned out to be the busiest game of the year, I was asked for ID to prove I'm a student with my seasons ticket.

I have been taking courses at the college here for 5 years and as such I have purchased student/senior season tickets for each of them. When you buy your tickets in May or June you are asked for student ID which is totaly acceptable and nessesary, but when I go to the game tonight they would not let me and my girl friend in with my tickets without proving to the girls at the door that I along with my girlfriend were students! Because of this I missed the player introductions as well as the anthem while standing there arguing with this young lady and being totaly embarassed in front of everyone behind me and at the other doors beside me like I was a common crook!!

Of course I was getting rather annoyed at this and told this Lady to go talk to the front office about it as they sold me my tickets year after year with no problems. Finally after 10 minutes of arguing she has the nerve to tell me "Oh I'll let you in this time but not next time" like a big proud power tripper would.

So in the intermission I went to the office to complain and was told that this is policy from day one and there is nothing they will do about it. Keep in mind I have purchased student tickets for 7 years, 5 of which have been seasons tickets and I have never been asked or harassed by anyone like this. So when I got home I read the back of my ticket as well as my seasons ticket book and found nothing indicating any policys what so ever, nor is it posted above the entrance doors or anywhere in the entire arena! I was pissed.

If this is the way they want to treat seasons ticket holders in a small fluctuating market and if this happens to ther people as well, ticket sales will be down next year for the annoyance of it all alone, I will not be embarrased like this again

What is the difference if my grandpa purchased student/senior tickets and gave one away to me or someone else? The ticket is paid for and someone is using it. SO WHAT? Would they rather have empty seats and rip people off for paid tickets that would go unused? What a crock, I know the ICE have nothing to do with it and its the buildings operators doing it, but at least coordinate with the ICE office that sells the dam tickets and leave the seasons ticket holders out of it! The tickets look totally different.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

GO ICE GO!!!

Cougar Guy
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Are you sure that the Ice have nothing to do with it? I would suspect that they are the ones setting the various prices for the tickets and advising the rink people how they would like the policies enforced to ensure that the appropriate tickets are sold to the appropriate people. I realize that the Ice officials are not checking tickets at the door, but I'm sure those people have received their directions from above. I'd contact the Ice organization and express your concerns directly to them.

For the record, I have been asked for student ID in PG . . . this is going many years back when I was still in school. Now that I'm out, I buy adult tickets so I wouldn't be subject to it. I suspect they may still ask for ID if they think that someone is buying student tickets when they should be buying adult tickets and I suspect that they do that under orders from the Cougars.

OHLArenaGuide
12-30-2005, 08:18 PM
In the OHL Windsor is so cheap that student pricing only applies if you're a student within the city of Windsor. If you're a Windsorite attending university out of town, or a student coming to cheer for the visitors, tough luck.

Sucks that students get shafted everywhere.

SectionNDeserter
12-30-2005, 08:48 PM
What is the difference if my grandpa purchased student/senior tickets and gave one away to me or someone else? The ticket is paid for and someone is using it. SO WHAT? Would they rather have empty seats and rip people off for paid tickets that would go unused?
If they didn't check the tickets periodically, eventually everyone in the building would just purchase student tickets, and the team would lose thousands of dollars per night in revenue, causing ticket prices to skyrocket or possibly cause the team to move to another city--again. Just be happy that they are actively checking that people have paid the correct amount to attend their hockey games.

Tipped Off
12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I have to agree with the last couple posters. The Tips are doing an after game New Years eve party tomorrow night after the game. We all got a letter/e-mail stating how much the tickets cost, etc... One thing it mentions is you can buy the tickets individually or as a "family plan" for a discounted rate. The problem is, the "family plan" ticekts don't specify 2 adults & 2 children or whatever. I assume they did this so one adult could come with three children as the event is geared toward the kids. Anyways, over on the Tips board there are people going in together to get the 4 tickets at the discounted rate. Not a "family" as you would traditionally think of it, just 4 people (two couples I believe) getting together to get a discount. People will figure out a way to get things for less. IF there are no random checks, as one poster stated, everyone would just buy student tickets. I would buy cheaper tickets if I found a way. Maybe you've been lucky not to get checke duntil now. Maybe after five years you finally look old enough that someone thought your ID needed to be checked proving you are a student (reverse of the alcohol check...lol). Who knows.

loudi94
12-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Dude, you've been going to college for 5 years? I went to Selkirk College for 3 years on a 2 year program, but 5 years? Your mom's cooking can't be that good.. ;)

Seriously though, it would have absolutely drove me nuts if I got flack at the door when I was a student. A simple smile and a "please remember to bring it next time" probably would have left you puzzled but satisfied. A little courtesy by Arena staff goes a long ways.

fightstrap50
12-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Dude, you've been going to college for 5 years? I went to Selkirk College for 3 years on a 2 year program, but 5 years? Your mom's cooking can't be that good.. ;)

Seriously though, it would have absolutely drove me nuts if I got flack at the door when I was a student. A simple smile and a "please remember to bring it next time" probably would have left you puzzled but satisfied. A little courtesy by Arena staff goes a long ways.

Yes Ive just finshed a five year program at the end of October so please dont doubt my education ok, on top of schooling I also work full time and support myself along with my girl friend who is also a working student.

As for the rest of your post, yes that would have been the case if it were a polite incident and solved quickly, but became an embarrasment as the people behind us were lined up out the doors and we could here people cursing us and the ticket girl. Courtesy people, courtesy. I will however be bringing it tommorow night to save the hassle though unlikely it will happen again. I realize she was just doing her job so no offence taken really i guess.

GO ICE GO!!!

loudi94
12-31-2005, 12:40 AM
Yes Ive just finshed a five year program at the end of October so please dont doubt my education ok, on top of schooling I also work full time and support myself along with my girl friend who is also a working student.

GO ICE GO!!!

I was teasing. What graduate programs does the College of the Rockies offer? A buddy of mine got his teaching degree there about 10 years ago but I'm not sure if they still do it there.

LifelongChiefsFan
12-31-2005, 04:36 AM
Sorry to hear about that problem. It seems to me that if you purchased season tickets and proved that you were a student at the time of purchase, then having to prove you're a student again after having the tickets, is not only a complete waste of time but stupid as well. I would imagine that the line to get in slowed down considerably, and if I was a fan stuck outside, I would not be happy about it.

I know here in Spokane, whenever I purchase walk up tickets, I always get the student discount and they have NEVER asked me to show student id, and I haven't heard a thing about them starting to check now. As far as I know they have never asked anyone to show id at the door either.

Spungy
12-31-2005, 08:27 AM
ok now i'm not a happy camper :(

The Ice pick THE bussiest night of the year so far to check for id on tickets? We got to the rink at normal time, but we were stuck standing in line waiting to get through the crowds at the doors for almost 20 minutes. We got inside in time to see play after the second whistle.

I sure hope they don't choose tonight to do stupid things like that again. I thought there was a 'good' explaination for why things were so slow. that definately isn't a good reason.

Flathead
12-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I came back to Swift, with my student card and was told that I had to pay adult price because I was over 18 and that it didn't matter if I was attending school, and that the pricing is all about age! I was a little P.O. myself. this was a few years ago and things may have changed?

Rebels30
12-31-2005, 11:38 AM
.....well i'm 13 now but when i bought my season tickets i was 12 so i got them for the price of a child but they still stop me and i have to explain it all lol