PDA

View Full Version : Giants at Hitmen

Hitmen1
12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Could be along night for the Hitmen who are short 2 more men tonight. I sure hope Merkleys injury is not serious. I am trying to watch the game from the live webcast and its not going so well.

RunTheGoalie
12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
I dont think I have ever seen a worse effort from any junior hockey team in my life. The Hitmen not only did not want this game, they didnt even want to try. Contrast that with a Giants team that clearly wanted this game, and clearly outworked the Hitmen at every turn, and we are very lucky that the score was only 3-0.

Especially given the brutally terrible officiating tonight. I've never seen this Vetter referee before, but if tonight is any indication, he does not belong in this league. The third goal was scored as a direct result of two Giant players colliding and knocking Spence over, yet Vetter let it stand. No idea how he could do that.

The Hitmen went 38 minutes without a shot on goal at one point, and mustered exactly one quality scoring chance. This after getting shutout by Kootenay the night before. Way to respond to adversity boys. :dead:

Gotta say that everyone on the Giants impressed me tonight, except for JD Watt, who came off as an immature clown at the end of the game. Throws a major league elbow at the end (which Vetter chose to ignore), then goes and high fives his bench like he did something great, and finishes off by taunting the fans behind the bench. Real classy you childish fool.

Of course, the Hitmen barely responded to that with a half hearted attempt at going after the loser. Given a cheapshot like that late in a 3-0 game, Watt should have left the ice bloodied, not high fiving his teammates.

rinkrat
12-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I guess the Hitmen are the King of the cheapshot.Sheesh,Slade was bowled over twice,Repik was crosschecked in the teeth,Albers was given a suplex in the corner.Holy,talk about dirty!
At least the Calgary play by play guys were good,they said the Hitmen deserved the penalties.
Giants won't get into cheapshots,they will just punish the opposition with their PP.

Big Daddy
12-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Could be along night for the Hitmen who are short 2 more men tonight. I sure hope Merkleys injury is not serious. I am trying to watch the game from the live webcast and its not going so well.

I know the feeling hitman1, I've had a bad run of luck trying to watch the Giants home games. Away games no problems, go figure.

I thought both teams competed hard but it appeared the hitmen ran out of gas in the 3rd. Both teams played well defensively but the giants made the best of their scoring chances. I saw cheap shots on both sides, but what does anyone expect when the meatheads are on the ice.

Beaner
12-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Especially given the brutally terrible officiating tonight. I've never seen this Vetter referee before, but if tonight is any indication, he does not belong in this league. The third goal was scored as a direct result of two Giant players colliding and knocking Spence over, yet Vetter let it stand. No idea how he could do that.

Gotta say that everyone on the Giants impressed me tonight, except for JD Watt, who came off as an immature clown at the end of the game. Throws a major league elbow at the end (which Vetter chose to ignore), then goes and high fives his bench like he did something great, and finishes off by taunting the fans behind the bench. Real classy you childish fool.

Vetter was fine. Maybe I'm slanted right now because of the bad officiating in the WJC, try watching it to see what I mean, but I thought he did a good job. Now maybe they could have waved off the third goal, but watching it three times, Spence was barely bumped by Watt, and Blum was prone outside the crease, with Watt on top of him after getting shoved towards the net. It was a slight bump with Watts head, but Spence was completely out of position on the play and was already on his knees when he got tapped by Watts head.

The Watt hit at the end of the game was not an Elbow, it was a bit High and a huge hit, but his elbows were down. Didnt see any antics after that, but thats because the camera didn't show it. I think if his antics had been that bad the Calgary commentators would have mentioned it, and they didnt say a word about any antics or an elbow.

On the Yeo cross check to Repiks' head, I personally feel that hit is worth more than 2, it probably should have been a 4. No reason to do that all in a game. Thats the one thing I like about the International rules, any hit to the head is an automatic penalty, and quite frankly, I agree with it. Hits to the head can cause just too much damage, and the league should adopt a zero tollerance for it, even though it would mean more calls. I would even live with an automatic 1 game suspension for any hit to the head.

RunTheGoalie
12-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Vetter was terrible. You can't compare him to the garbage officials that Europe sends over and say he was fine. I would expect our officials to be held to a higher standard. Every single whistle in the first had either Carson or Kisio arguing some call or non call as the Giants got away with a ton in the first period. Vetter responded by letting both teams get away with a bunch of crap the rest of the game. I was waiting for that game to get out of hand becuase of his brutal officiating, but to the credit of both teams, they policed themselves quite well.

"Barely touched" is a wild understatement for Spence getting knocked down by the Giants players, but even that would enough to negate the goal. It wasnt worthy of a penalty, since it was obviously incidental contact, but that is enough to negate a goal scored, and it should have.

Course, given how disinterested the Hitmen were last night, it would not have mattered anyway.

Not going to defend Yeo. He is a good defenseman, but he has had a constant habit of taking stupid penalties since he came over from PG. The crosscheck wasnt really a surprise.

As far as Albers getting "suplexed", he deserved it. He was interfering with Carson all the way up the ice. Personally, I was glad that Carson threw him down. That was about the only time the entire game that any Hitmen player actually responded to anything.

Beaner
12-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Ok, well, I didnt see any of the stuff you are talking about during the broadcast, and the Hitmen commentators weren't mentioning it at all, so, I'll just leave it that we saw 2 different things going on.

As to giving Vetter a pass because of the Europeon Officials, its not that Im trying to do that, but seeing what is going on at the WJC is really making the WHL guys look good, which is brutal I know.

langdak
12-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Giants 3 - Hitmen 0 :thumb:

On a side note, i am enjoying watching Pogge play at the WJ's :D