PDA

View Full Version : Tips Back to Work (Hamill cleared)

Tipped Off
12-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Silvertips go back to work
Everett begins second half of WHL season

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Rested and recharged, the Everett Silvertips are ready to get back to work.

Having had 10 days off, the Silvertips return to the ice for the second half of the Western Hockey League season tonight, playing host to the Tri-City Americans at the Everett Events Center.

"It's always nice to get back to playing," Everett left wing John Lammers said. "Watching some hockey games back home you almost want to be right back out there right away. But it's always good to get a break, too."

Everett rode the roller coaster during the first half of the season. Everett had the longest winning streak in franchise history (eight games) in the process of winning 11 of 12 and taking control of the U.S. Division. However, a rash of injuries led to a franchise-worst seven-game losing streak as the Tips had their division lead evaporate into nothingness. But Everett recovered late, winning seven of its final nine heading into the Christmas break.

The net result was Everett (21-14-1-0) found itself at the halfway point in first place in the division, leading second-place Portland by 10 points - though Portland had four games in hand.

Because of the tumultuous first half, it's difficult to get a grasp on exactly how good the Silvertips are as they head into the second half.

"We're looking to try and put the first half behind us," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "There were highs and lows and a little bit of a roller coaster ride early on. We want to take lessons from that experience and set goals for the future. But really we try to focus on - not to be cliche - a shift-to-shift, period-to-period, game-top-game basis and not worry too much about what's happened or what's in front of us. I think the future will take care of itself if we just work hard every day."

Given Everett's position in first place in the division, despite the injuries and the losing streak that marred the first half, the Tips like their chances heading into the second half.

"I think we've got a really good team," Everett goaltender Leland Irving said. "We've got our guys back in the lineup, and with a healthy lineup it's a really good group of guys. I think we can accomplish a lot in the second half."

Foremost among those returning players is center Zach Hamill. The 17-year-old playmaker, who had 17 points in 18 games before being sidelined by a bout of mononucleosis, has been cleared to resume playing. Although Constantine refrained from guaranteeing Hamill would play tonight, Hamill did practice at full speed the last two days and is considered probable for tonight's game.

"I feel good," Hamill said following Wednesday's practice. "I feel similar to how I felt when I came to training camp. It's going to be a little tough getting back the first shift or so, but hopefully I'll get used to it pretty quick.

"My hands were a little rough the first couple times I went on the ice when I was home for Christmas," Hamill added. "So it wasn't really a break for me, it was about getting back in game shape."

Everett's other injury concern, defenseman Jonathan Harty, is also considered probable for tonight's game. Harty missed 13 of the last 14 games because of a groin injury.

Though Everett is nearly back to full health, the Tips won't be at full strength. Leading scorer Peter Mueller and key left wing Karel Hromas are both away at the World Junior Hockey Championships, and defenseman Eric Doyle is away at the U-17 World Hockey Challenge.

Mueller is expected to miss five games - two games while playing for Team USA, then an additional three as he's given an further week off to recover. Hromas and Doyle, who each missed time in the first half because of injuries, are not expected to be given an additional week off and should therefore miss just two games.

But once those players return, and if Everett remains healthy, the Tips could be in position to run away with the division title.

"You're always shooting to be first, and in the end your choice would always be to be first," Constantine said. "It gives you home-ice advantage in the playoffs and that's something you always want, so at the end of the day that's where we hope we end up. But we're not going to spend a lot of time thinking about it or worrying about it because there's just so much to get done on a day-to-day basis."

That work resumes tonight.

Tipped Off
12-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Quoted from the article above...Why does Mueller get the extra week off? Is this a coaching decision or did Mueller ask for this? Is this the first step to a demanding, non team-oriented player?

"Mueller is expected to miss five games - two games while playing for Team USA, then an additional three as he's given an further week off to recover. Hromas and Doyle, who each missed time in the first half because of injuries, are not expected to be given an additional week off and should therefore miss just two games."

Kristi
12-30-2005, 01:41 PM
This has been beat to death on the other board. But in case there are people who do not go there.

This is a common practice for players playing in World Juniors to get time off to go home and see family and friends they would normally get to see during the break.

There is no hidden agenda in there or anything just simply time off.

Tipped Off
12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I understand it is "common" practice, but: Hromas and Doyle are not getting a week off. Hromas is in the WJC and Doyle is at the U17. Both are coming straight back to help the TEAM win the U.S. division. I compare it to a baseball trade where players technically have a week to report to their new team. The ones that care about making a good impression fly right in and are ready to go. The ones that don't care take the whole week. I am wondering if this is a coaching decision (because Mueller was a little banged up entering
the break) or if this is Mueller's decision.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation, and as I asked, is it a coaches decision or his? If itis a coaches decision because of a back issue, etc..cool. No problem. Commitment to team is a huge scale in my book. The fact he doesn't play much defense is already weighing heavily on me when ranking this kid. Especially with today's faster paced game where you need your skill guys to step up and prevent the breakaways.