PDA

View Full Version : Johnson's Elbow

WHEATMAN
12-31-2005, 08:59 PM
that was so dirty, i really hope this kid gets a suspension. The game was clearly over and he turns around to elbow downie in the head after the whistle. classless

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2005, 10:09 PM
that was so dirty, i really hope this kid gets a suspension. The game was clearly over and he turns around to elbow downie in the head after the whistle. classless
No kidding, pretty intelligent thing to do when there is no doubt that the NHL team that drafted him (Carolina) is scouting the game. I can see the scouting report now...

"Million dollar body, 10 cent head."

WHEATMAN
12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
No kidding, pretty intelligent thing to do when there is no doubt that the NHL team that drafted him (Carolina) is scouting the game. I can see the scouting report now...

"Million dollar body, 10 cent head."

and i just heard on sportcentre, that there will be no further action taken toward johnson. what a load of bs.

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2005, 11:07 PM
and i just heard on sportcentre, that there will be no further action taken toward johnson. what a load of bs.
I guess the Canadian players know what they have to work with, if they should play them again, or at least that would seem to be the message they are sending the teams in the tournament.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-01-2006, 12:45 AM
It was bad and very unecessary,it is very sad to hear that no futher action was taken :( He was a very hot topic of disscussion when the NHL Draft was held,but now I am sure people around the NHL and especailly Carolina will know what he did and how irresponisable his actions were,and to top it all off he was named Player of the Game for Team USA, and good on Brent Sutter to tell the team Canada players to keep calm and away.so none of them whould be suspended,It was very unfortunate that it had to happen at all,Team USA has only lost one game and they are not out of the tornament,I do not understand why he did that? I hope he learns his lesson and if he does repeat this in the NHL(I hope he does not,because more serious consquences could result) he would be in serious trouble. This Incedent was almost just like the Bertuzzi/Moore situation,but Steve Downie was not hurt as bad as Moore was. I am not labeling all American Hockey players as bad or cheap,because Todd bertuzzi is a Canadian,any hockey player of any nationality could be in this situation,it is very unfortunate that these type of incedents have to happen. After all hockey is just a game and should be played for fun and for good competetion too,I knoe that hockey can become very intense,but all players have control of their actions and know the consequences. I hope this kind of behavior stops because it gives a bad reputation for the sport of hockey and the player(s),or team(s) invovled.

WHEATMAN
01-01-2006, 01:33 AM
It was bad and very unecessary,it is very sad to hear that no futher action was taken :( He was a very hot topic of disscussion when the NHL Draft was held,but now I am sure people around the NHL and especailly Carolina will know what he did and how irresponisable his actions were,and to top it all off he was named Player of the Game for Team USA, and good on Brent Sutter to tell the team Canada players to keep calm and away.so none of them whould be suspended,It was very unfortunate that it had to happen at all,Team USA has only lost one game and they are not out of the tornament,I do not understand why he did that? I hope he learns his lesson and if he does repeat this in the NHL(I hope he does not,because more serious consquences could result) he would be in serious trouble. This Incedent was almost just like the Bertuzzi/Moore situation,but Steve Downie was not hurt as bad as Moore was. I am not labeling all American Hockey players as bad or cheap,because Todd bertuzzi is a Canadian,any hockey player of any nationality could be in this situation,it is very unfortunate that these type of incedents have to happen. After all hockey is just a game and should be played for fun and for good competetion too,I knoe that hockey can become very intense,but all players have control of their actions and know the consequences. I hope this kind of behavior stops because it gives a bad reputation for the sport of hockey and the player(s),or team(s) invovled.

i just saw on the score that there is a hearing tomorrow, yet on tsn it said no further action would be taken, does anyone know what is happening for sure?

WHEATMAN
01-01-2006, 01:35 AM
No suspension for Jack Johnson
Steve Downie

Canadian Press

12/31/2005 11:46:00 PM

VANCOUVER (CP) - American defenceman Jack Johnson will receive no further discipline from the International Ice Hockey Federation for elbowing Steve Downie in the head after Canada scored the winning goal in Saturday's 3-2 win over the U.S. at the world junior hockey championships.

Johnson, the third overall pick in this year's NHL draft by the Carolina Hurricanes, blind-sided Downie with an elbow to the jaw after Canadian captain Kyle Chipchura scored the winner into an empty-net at 19:27 of the third period. Downie, who assisted on the goal, spent a few minutes laying on the ice while he was treated by the team trainer.

''It was kind of a dirty play, I suppose,'' Chipchura said. ''Downie is a big part of our team. He plays on the edge and I know Jack and I know he's a competitive guy. He's a nice guy and maybe it wasn't the best move.''

Johnson, who plays for the University of Michigan, received a five-minute major and a game misconduct. Only a match penalty imposes an automatic one-game suspension, so Johnson will be able to play in the U.S. quarter-final game Monday.

A IIHF spokesman said tournament chairman Frank Gonzalez watched tape of the hit following Saturday's game and there will be no further review of the incident.

Hockey Canada can ask the IIHF for a review but indicated late Saturday it would not pursue the issue.

Downie, who had two assists in the game, was being evaluated by doctors after Saturday's game, but Hockey Canada personnel said the first-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers was not seriously injured.

Beaner
01-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Well I was at the game, and I completely missed the incident, however, managed to see the Highlight on TV and that was pretty bad. A flagrant attempt to injure IMO.

By all sounds of it the IIHF is not suspending Johnson for this, which I find unbelievebale. The 2 players who fought in the Russia/Czech game get 2 games each, for Fighting, yet a player that deliberatley throws an Elbow to the head in the last minute of a game that his team is losing gets nothing. If that is not a deliberate attempt to injure then I don't know what is.

Whats even more shocking is the "Hockey Minds" cant understand why these cheap shots keep happening. The IIHF wanted fighting out of the game, so they imposed heavy suspensions if you fight in a game. And now, basically, fighting is all but gone from international Competition.

These same "hockey minds" want the cheap shots to the head gone, but when they happen, what do they do? Nothing. And they wonder why players dont fight anymore but try and take each others heads off with elbows/sticks etc.

If they really want to get rid of these cheap shots then they have to be as strict as they are with fighting, so the players wont do it.

He should have got at least 2 games if not more. If he had started a Fight, ie Instigated, that carries a MINIMUM 1 game suspension. A 5 Minute major with a blow to the head, gee that should at least be worth 1 Game.

If Hockey Canada does not demand a review of this they are basically saying to everyone this kind of hit is ok. And that is even worse IMO.

patsdude114
01-01-2006, 01:10 PM
the elbow looks bad on tsn yes it did but after i was watching some american tv and they showed a great shot (different camera angel then tsn had) and the elbow didnt even connect with downie he did embelish it he got a 10 for acting on that 1 but from the tsn clip it looked like it connected with downie but in the end it didnt

SectionNDeserter
01-01-2006, 01:40 PM
tsn clip it looked like it connected with downie but in the end it didnt
Oh ok, so it is ok for someone to TRY to injure someone, but fail. I don't know why they suspended Bertuzzi for so long then, Moore is still alive....

langdak
01-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Johnson was not a fan favourite tonite at the USA/Czech game, which came as absolutely no surprise.

He got the lovely "BOOOOOOO" everytime he touched the puck tonite and you should have heard the place go crazy when he took a penalty.

Good on ya Jack, you clown :clown:

Triton
01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Did Johnson ever get sarinated when he got the penalty and then the Czech's scored and he had to skate back to the bench is where the fans gave it to him the most.Funny!Not a bad game,action just no scoring.I thought the Czechs were going to tie it late.The Finland/Sweden game was a snoozer.Glad Aki Seitsonen and the Finns get a shot at a medal...bronze after were done with them.

Beaner
01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
The real shame in the Swede's game is that Edler maybe saw the ice twice that whole game. How they can not put a 1st rounder out on the ice is beyond me. Why even bring him to the tourney if you won't use him?

Triton
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Kinda like Martin Hanzal with the Czech's.He didn't see any ice time,and he's their best player.Michael Barnett the GM of the Coyotes who drafted Hanzal was shaking his head.In a cruicial game..why wouldn't you put aside any differences for a shot at the medal rounds?Because the Czech idiot benched his best player they are not going to win squat.It fathums me.

Triton
01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Here's what Jack johnson told sportnet...

www.sportsnet.ca

VANCOUVER (CP) - American defenceman Jack Johnson argues his elbow that flattened Team Canada forward Steve Downie wasn't as bad as everyone thinks.

"If you watch the video it's not like his head snapped back or anything," Johnson said Tuesday, prior to the U.S. semifinal game against Russia at the world junior hockey championships.

"If I had really connected he probably would have fallen back."

Johnson, the third overall pick in this year's NHL draft by the Carolina Hurricanes, has become public enemy No. 1 since his cheap shot on Downie on Saturday night.

Johnson caught Downie with an elbow to the jaw after Kyle Chipchura scored into an empty net giving Canada a 3-2 win over the U.S.

Downie, who assisted on the goal, laid crumpled on the ice for several minutes after the hit and needed assistance from the Canadian trainer.

By Sunday he wasn't suffering any effects from the hit.

Johnson suggested there might have been some acting involved.

"I definitely didn't really get him," said Johnson, who has four goals and 16 assists in 15 games with the University of Michigan this season.

"I do hope he's all right and I do have respect for Downie."

The incident happened in the final seconds of the third period. Johnson said he had his eye on Downie, who was trailing on the play.

"I knew what he was doing," said the six-foot-one, 205-pound defenceman.

"I kind of had a thought in the back of my mind he might come and try and pull something with me. I kind of took the offence in that.

"He and I will both probably try to not worry about that and try and win this tournament. That's the most important thing."

Johnson received a major and a game misconduct on the play. He wasn't suspended because only a match penalty incurs an automatic one-game suspension.

Strangely, the official scoresheet listed the penalty as kneeing.

The Canadian team didn't press the International Ice Hockey Federation to review the hit.

Johnson admitted he may have been lucky not to be suspended.

"I suppose there was some luck in that," he agreed.

The crowd at G.M. Place loudly booed each time Johnson touched the puck during the U.S.'s 2-1 win over the Czech Republic in Monday's quarter-final action.

"I noticed it right away," Johnson said with a smile.

"I loved it. I kind of thrived off it. It really didn't affect me at all. I thought it was kind of funny actually."

So Johnson must think what he did was right..as longs as it didn't connect fully.What a idiot..I know I always fling my elbows at opponents heads..Urgh! :burningma

I hope we face his ass again.

langdak
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Johnson got it good again tonite from the crowd at GM Place

He even gave a thank you wave on his way to the sin bin :)

He had his elbows up again tonite against Russia when the game started getting a little out of hand, i was just waiting for him to connect again.

All in all, Canada going for Gold on Thursday afternoon :D

Triton
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
My favourite part was when he got high sticked..twice.Karma's a boomerang.His mouth is all busted up...jeez Johnson it looks like impatego to me.