PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Trade Deadline.

Beaner
01-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Well, tis a week out, and I told Kevanie97 back here, http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=3533&page=1&pp=10, that October wasn't the time to be talking about the Giants unloading half the team for next years cup run. Now being a week away it is the time.

However in that time frame a lot has happened, and the Giants are now one of the top teams in the league, and could be considered a strong contendor to go deep in the playoffs, this year. Getting out of the BC division is going to be tough, predicting who will move on past the first round at this time is anyones guess at this point and time.

So here's some thing to consider for the Giants, IMO, in regards to the Trade deadline.

GIANTS THIS YEAR It all looks good for the G-men right now. Tied for First overall, close to the tops in Goals for and Against, special teams are top 2, and the goaltending is very good. What do the Giants need to make this team even better, if anything?

NEXT YEAR Any trade the Giants make this year, has to take into consideration next years Cup hosting. Picking up players who won't be back to help the Giants next year, would be extremely short-sighted.

BRULE? According to the Columbus post Dispatch, Brule is off crutches and should be back on skates by the end of the week. When he would be able to return off the IR is anyones guess. I still think he will be sent back down, mainly because the CBJ won't want to burn a year of his contract for a losing season. I have a feeling he may be sent down after the trade deadline, and thus he won't be able to be moved.

GOALTENDERS Probably the biggest question for this year at this time. Tartaglione (17), Slade (19), Sexsmith (16). All can play, but can the Giants continue to keep 3 guys around, keep them happy, and, give them playing time?

ROSTER FOR NEXT YEAR Looking to next year, heres where the Giants will sit in regards to overagers, players moving up a level, if they do nothing now. Age for players is in regards to next years age. Giants don't have to worry about the expansion draft since Bonner made a move earlier to avoid that.

Albers (21) D - GRADUATED
Bartley (21) F - GRADUATED
Brule (19) - More than likely NHL.
Festerling (20) D - I expect he will be back.
Fistric (20) D - More than likely AHL, shot for NHL, longshot he returns.
Lamb (20) F - Should be back
Slade (20) G - Shot he may get picked up and move up (AHL/ECHL). Depends on how he does the rest of the year.

Everyone else should be back.

Bertram (19) F - Not sure what he will do. Lots of rumours he may be here next year or even this year, but has changed his mind so often about coming here its hard to say. For my money I dont count on him being here till he pulls on the sweater.

Looking at that list, the Giants for next year will lose, 1 forward, 2 Dmen, and maybe a Goalie. I dont count Brule as a lose because he hasn't been here all year.

Looking at that, and what we have coming up, I personally feel that the Giants are set-up well for next year. Losing Fistric and Albers will be tough, on the D, but with Mikkelson, Franson, Festerling, Flatters and Blum all a year older we should be allright. Forwards will be fine as well with the extra year, and should get even better, someone should be able to pick up Bartleys' point production. Losing Slade could hurt us, but Tommy and Tyson are both very good, and they should be able to step into his role no problem.

So I guess the question is, what would I do?

I say do nothing.

If Brule comes back, that would be a bonus for the team, he would add even more scoring to an already strong offensive unit. The forward lines could use a definate threat foir next year, but its hard to argue with one of the top scoring teams in the league needing more scoring. But really, this team has been fantastic without him, adding him could be just the push for this year, and it costs us nothing. Keep the forwards we got, they are all improving, and another year should make them even better.

The D is solid, could be considered the best in the league, and is setup well for next year. A lot of teams are interested in the Giants D, I say leave it alone.

Goaltending is the biggest question. Not because it is poor, but because it has 3 guys who could all be playing right now. If we see a move from the Giants I think this is where we may just see it. I'd like to see the Giants keep all 3 guys, but I find it hard to believe that they will be able to keep all 3 guys happy, and give them enough playing time. I have 2 thoughts on this.

1) Keep Dustin and Tommy for this year, and send Tyson down to junior A for the rest of the year. Mainly so Tyson can get some minutes in after missing most of this year with his injuries. Regular playing time for him will do him a lot of good, and Tommy and Dustin have worked well together. If either Dustin or Tommy gets hurt you can pull him back up to the big club. Then let the goaltending situation settle itself for next year. This is my favorite idea.

2) Trade Dustin :( for some forwards for next year, and let Tommy and Tyson battle it out for the rest of the year for the starter job. Dustin may not be back next year, and I dont like the idea of trading away extremely good young future Goalies. Trading one of the top goalies for this year away seems crazy to me, and I'm not too sure what Dustin may fetch on the market.

I'm hoping they can keep all 3 for next year, and if Dustin does come back next year then they will be able to trade one of the guys away to get something they need for next year, once they will be able to see how good a team they have next year.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours?

And as we all know you never know what Bonner may do, I really hope he leaves this team intact, and doesn't pull another Kassian like he did last year. I think if we see anything from Bonner this year it may just be Tommy who gets traded. :(

Triton
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Nice Analysis.Got one for what Brandon should do?Crap it all this year and hope to contend next year?

rinkrat
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Again,another great re cap!! :thumb:
I agree with most of what you said,here's some other thoughts...
1)If we get Brule back,it could seriously mess with the team chemistry,especially if he pouts for a month.We may be smarter to just trade him for an excellent 18 or 19 year old.Or even top draft picks to keep the future alive after the M.C.

2)We have Scott Orth as another Goaltending option,he had a good camp and is on the U-17 team with Sexsmith right now.

3) It may be hard to move Slade or another goalie early next season,most trades happen later in the season and we would be carrying three goalies again.

Keep up the re caps... :clap:

Big Daddy
01-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Again, nice recap. I agree for the most part. The goalie situation is touchy to say the least. I have said a couple of times to trade Sexsmith and this is still my thought. However, what Bonner thinks is the key and I think he will trade Tommy T and keep Sexsmith.
Brule will be back and anyone with his skill set will only improve the team. Everyone needs to separate the "nutty dad" from the kid and I think the kid is a team guy. If I'm wrong about this and he is more of a headache than an asset then shelve him.
I think Rutherford, Dulle, and maybe Bliznak might be worthy of a trade. Rutherford can't add anything to this team. Dulle needs work and won't develop for a year or so. We also have some stud young forwards in the system. Bliznak could bring an equal age forward to the team. I don't think he is living up to the expectations he came with. Him and crashing the net are strangers and maybe its a pet peeve of mine but I can't stomach forwards who won't get dirty.
The D looks solid and potentially losing Fistric and Festerling is not good but I think Franson, Mikkleson, Blum, Flatters are a solid core. I like the prospects Molle and Regner for some play next year.

Beaner
01-04-2006, 01:49 AM
The only problem with moving Bliznak is that he is a Euro, and the receiving team needs to have an open Euro spot. I like Bliznak, he is our #1 defensive center, takes almost all the key faceoffs etc. Sure he may not rack up points but every team needs a guy like this on it. A bit more point production would be nice to see, but I think that will come.

Rutherford and Dulle, sure maybe we move them, but I don't think its a pressure thing to move them now. They may grow into better players, if not we can always move and add for next year, after this year. Its not as though we are struggling for forwards right now, and most of the team next year will be back.

Orth is another question mark, but I think until next years Training camp, he is not in the picture, but it is nice for depth at Goal.

The only way I see us moving Brule is if we get a deal we cant refuse. McCardle for Brule as an example? That is not a rumor, just an example. :)

The only teams who would go for Brule are those that think they have a legitimate shot for this year. Kelowna and Kootenay are out of the mix as I doubt the Giants would trade in division, Medicine Hat is a maybe, but they have plenty of scoring. Saskatoon needs D, and thus I think the only team out of the Top 5 would be Calgary. They are lowest among the top 5 in scoring and an added scoring threat would probably help them; the question is what would they give up to get Brule? Calgary is also nice for the Giants since it is out of Conference. Brule may be the piece they need to push them over the top. I still think Bonner keeps Brule.

hollcan
01-04-2006, 11:44 AM
One thing that is different this year with the Giants from past years is that we now have a "Don Hay Team". Last year he had 20 some players but only 1/2 a team, the rest out there for their own reasons(some to sign contracts, some to fight, some homesick, some who thought they were bigger than the team). Last year you just had to stop 3 players and the Giants were in trouble. The difference with Hay's team this year is that you can go ahead and stop the top "3" players but there's 12 more that are just as good. Rolling 4 lines, putting "all" players in powerplay, penalty kill, starting line-ups, and crucial situations has every player feeling equal. Heck the other night against Swift and Medicine Hat, the Giant's probably used 12 different combinations on pp and pk. Of course when push comes to shove, you need Albers on the pp, Lamb on Pk, Fistric, Lucic & Flatters vs tougher teams, Biznak on face-offs etc. etc.
I'm not sure how Brule will fit into this situation. If he wants to have a good shot at winning the MC this year and is willing to only score 25 points and play 2nd line checker(if that's what Hay wants him to do), then I think the Giants have a legitimate shot at it. However, if he comes back and wants to be a "look at me" player and can't fit his head into the hard hat then we will be out in the 2nd round of play-offs. There is no doubt of his ability nor his work ethic but if a million dollar gold key doesn't fit the ignition then the car ain't going nowhere.
Let's hope all Giant fans can stay supportive of the management and the players because "NOBODY" was expecting the fun we have all experienced this year.
John Wooden once said, " The main ingredient of stardom is ................
.................the rest of the team!"

Beaner
01-04-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with everything you said there Hollcan, very nicely put.

Beaner
01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Nice Analysis.Got one for what Brandon should do?Crap it all this year and hope to contend next year?

Unfortunatley not, since we just don't see them play enough. But you are rebuilding and that takes patience, team needs to stay that course, not blow it up to just make a small run to try and get into the playoffs this year. Playoffs for this year is a bonus, the plan should be to build for a while to get ready for a push in say 3 years.

Beaner
01-10-2006, 06:18 PM
No trades, no moves, will Tyson be being sent down soon, or will they continue to carry all 3 goalies?