PDA

View Full Version : Trades

SectionNDeserter
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Ok, we made all of our trades already (I think), but all other cellar dwellers and top teams boards are all talking about potential deals, and I felt left out. :)

Tinner
01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I think we will see 1 more trade. My crystal ball says a goalie and a D man will be moving out and a scoring forward in.

3rebels
01-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Whom do you forcast will be moving?? :D

mapletoft
01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I sure am happy with all of Sutter's trades except one - Walker for Berube. Walker scored a hattrick tonight which just reminds of the fact that Berube IMO hasn't completely made the best of impressions to fans. Walker wasn't a Sutter type player unfortunately - I hope Berube is better next year while Walker will likely have a greater run with the Cougars.

The Versteeg/Chapman trade continues to look great and I am sure Cunning will continue to adjust and finish the season strong. I'm looking forward to seeing Petkau, Knackstedt, Cline and Brandon Sutter next year.

Rebrevs
01-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Am I the only one that gets really annoyed with Versteeg? The part that I liked about the Versteeg/Chapman trade was Chapman. I find Versteeg to be too much of a "me" player and there aren't enough flashy moments (that is what he is really good at) to make up for the "me" moments. I realize that they needed to put someone on the point to replace injured dmen but I can't help but believe that there has got to be someone.........ANYONE, who can do at least as good a job, if not better, than Versteeg. I don't question the coaches often but SERIOUSLY, I can't understand why they put him back there on the powerplay. Argh!!!!!! As for the Walker/Berube trade, I am not a Walker fan. I felt he always underachieved. I think its great that he is doing better with different coaching but its sad that that is what it takes, especially if he really wants to be a true PRO player. As for Berube, I fully accept the fact that he is only 17. I will wait until next year to really see where this kid goes. I don't really have any problems with him this year!

mapletoft
01-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Versteeg has only been here a short time. He is a talented hockey player let there be no doubt. He is doing just fine...a couple of tough games but who hasn't had those in a Rebels uniform. He can carry the puck and make moves holding onto it...that takes talent...we don't have a lot of players that can do that. For me and some of the guys at talk to at the rink he is an exciting hockey player...again we have few of those. You are right...I need to be patient with Berube and see him next year as an improved more experienced player. The same must go for Versteeg in a Rebs uniform. The players around him will be stronger and more improved and experienced next year and you may appreciate him more. Cut him some slack from a poor couple of outings and watch his talent...Sutter will do his career a lot of good just like he did for Justin Taylor, Kyle Wanvig, Carsen Germyn amongst others, after arriving in Red Deer! :)

loudi94
01-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Versteeg has only been here a short time. He is a talented hockey player let there be no doubt. He is doing just fine...a couple of tough games but who hasn't had those in a Rebels uniform. He can carry the puck and make moves holding onto it...that takes talent...we don't have a lot of players that can do that. For me and some of the guys at talk to at the rink he is an exciting hockey player...again we have few of those. You are right...I need to be patient with Berube and see him next year as an improved more experienced player. The same must go for Versteeg in a Rebs uniform. :)

I asked before why was he traded from the Blazers when he was top 10 in scoring? Sounds like his "me" moments may not be confined to the ice.

mapletoft
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Because he was traded for Rome, currently a much stronger player...I have full confidence in Sutter working with Versteeg. If there were issues I am sure they either were or are being dealt with.

Tinner
01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I really don't think anything will change, with or without Brent. This could be a trade that we got burnt on because Rome is still providing points and leadership.

Rebel66
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I really don't think anything will change, with or without Brent. This could be a trade that we got burnt on because Rome is still providing points and leadership.

I don't think that we got burnt at all on this deal. Rome is 20 as is Chapman. Throw in a 19 year old Versteeg and will likely be back next season and the Rebels come out of this one quite nicely. Chappy has done very well too so it's a no brainer for me.

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I sure am happy with all of Sutter's trades except one - Walker for Berube. Walker scored a hattrick tonight which just reminds of the fact that Berube IMO hasn't completely made the best of impressions to fans. Walker wasn't a Sutter type player unfortunately - I hope Berube is better next year while Walker will likely have a greater run with the Cougars.Walker will be on the ice for more goals against than for, for the most part, because he is a total floater. For that hat trick you saw, next game he might be on the ice for 3 goals against, thats why he doesn't play for Sutter anymore. He will be hard pressed to make a WHL team next season as an overage, as he is a slightly better than average offensive talent, and an absolute defensive liability, and he has no real leadership qualities. I am not entirely sure what you mean by Berube not making the best of impressions with the fans, he competes hard every night, and to his credit, he is only -3, which is a pretty big accomplishment on this team this season, for a player that takes as regular of a shift as he does. In my opinion, releasing Walker would have improved the Rebels this year, we were fortunate that we were able to actually get a somewhat decent player out of the deal too!

The Versteeg/Chapman trade continues to look great and I am sure Cunning will continue to adjust and finish the season strong.Versteeg and Chapman have looked solid for the most part. Cunning has thrown his weight around a lot, but he hasn't shown the ability to carry the puck more than a few feet, or make any plays whatsovever. Unfortunately, as an overage player he hasn't got much more time to develop these skills, so I am afraid that he is little more than a scrub that we gave up a 4th round pick for. That is the only trade that I am dissapointed in so far this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing Petkau, Knackstedt, Cline and Brandon Sutter next year.Me too, Petkau has shown blistering speed when he wants to. You can use that kind of speed to do so many things. I am definately looking to Brandon Sutter and Cline for some big performances in the second half, and even more next season. Knackstedt is a bit of an enigma to me, he plays GREAT when he is on one of the top 2 lines, but completely vanishes when he is on a checking line. Maybe he is trying to tell Sutter something with his play? :)

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I asked before why was he traded from the Blazers when he was top 10 in scoring? Sounds like his "me" moments may not be confined to the ice.Thats a no-brainer, he was traded from the Blazers when he was top 10 in scoring, because we gave up a player that was in the Top 5 in scoring to get him and a defenseman. Not that being in the top 10 in scoring or being in the top 5 in scoring means anything 14 games into the season, but it wasn't like the Blazers were dumping this guy by any stretch.

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Throw in a 19 year old Versteeg and will likely be back next season and the Rebels come out of this one quite nicely.This is exactly why this was a good trade, Versteeg is a little small and non-physical yet to play the pro game as a 20 year old, so there is a very good chance that he will be back as an overage player.

mapletoft
01-07-2006, 10:18 AM
SectionNDeserter we have debated Berube a couple of times. We'll have to pick up this debate in the middle of next season and I hope you're right on your prognosis. Maybe we'll bring Egener into the debate as well...again!

Looks like we agree on the Versteeg / Chapman / Rome deal as well. #10 we will be fun to watch next year!

SectionNDeserter
01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
SectionNDeserter we have debated Berube a couple of times. We'll have to pick up this debate in the middle of next season and I hope you're right on your prognosis. Maybe we'll bring Egener into the debate as well...again!No need to wait till next season, the stats don't lie, he is playing better than most of the blueline right now. :)

mapletoft
01-08-2006, 12:32 AM
There you go again....stats can lie...what I see from him makes me shiver at times especially when he is paired with Frere and wow did I ever see that in two recent games aginst the Hat and the Rockets. We'll have to see....