PDA

View Full Version : Regina vs. Red Deer

SectionNDeserter
01-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Quite possibly the worst game I have seen the Rebels play this season. Kris Versteeg and Luke Egener were BRUTAL the entire game. :burningma The only 3 players that I saw playing out there were Leslie, who was getting shelled while Egener stood and watched his man take 2 or 3 cracks at the rebounds, Berube who I include because he had to try to play both defensive positions whenever he was paired with Versteeg or Egener, and Tanner Gillies for (despite being quite possibly the slowest skater in the league) beating 2 Regina defenders to the puck in the neutral zone, and blowing past them and going in on a breakaway and scoring.

Also getting particularly low grades were Brett Sutter, who was totally invisible out there save for a few dramatic dives that he took, and Cunning who save for his first game, has looked like a total scrub. How on earth did he play in the AHL? If we weren't short so many players, I would say that Versteeg, Egener, and Cunning probably need to watch 5 or 6 games from the press box to gain an appreciation for what they have as players on this team, and in this league.

The worst part of this is that the majority of the Regina players didn't even put forth any effort either and had they been on top of their game, I am sure they could have scored 10 or more goals.

Tinner
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I thought the first period was OK as there seemed to be some life and the Rebels were winning the small battles (first to the puck, hard forecheck) which led to the 2 goals. Also, most of the players, looked like they were "into" this game.

As Dallas said in his post game interview, "the last 2 periods is the worst we've played all year", I would agree (although the first game at home against MJ was worse imo) the game changed. Our leaders weren't leaders, in fact, they were watchers. Aside from Leslie, Berube, Gillies, Scott and maybe to a limited degree Smith, the rest of the team played with their glass slippers on. Most of the stuff that certain players have been doing while Brent has been gone, will stop as of right now, as Brent won't or doesn't let that individual, I'll do it all, style of play happen. Yes, were are playing with less skill and talent but that's not an excuse for every player not to play at maximum effort and his game. Our so called big guy (Klotz) has his role and its not puck handling, its hard hitting and he's not even close to fulfilling his role. I think everyone has been a little too comfortable because they know they are playing but that is about to change.

Rumor has it, that ALL our injured players will return for Friday's game in Kamloops. Also, Mahalik and Sutter will be back (both Sutters). Thats 6 players that could be all back in the line up, which means 4 current players will be sitting (we have only been dressing 16 skaters) and I'm sure anyone who has been watching, including Dallas, may be able to determine who those players will be. Again, I'll agree with Section, that some players need an "eye opener" but I don't think you'll see them sit yet. We'll play our #1 line up and decisions will be made from there, that is, provided the players all return.

I look for better things to happen and just maybe we'll be rewarded with some much needed wins and points.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Our so called big guy (Klotz) has his role and its not puck handling, its hard hitting and he's not even close to fulfilling his role.
I have seen him handle the puck pretty well for a big guy this season, and he can actually carry the puck for more than 10 ft (which is more than I can say for our 'AHL' player, who can ONLY seem to hit). But Klotz does need to throw his weight around a lot more than he has been, especially when you consider that he usually only sees 2 or 3 shifts per game (he needs to make the most of his opportunity).

Rumor has it, that ALL our injured players will return for Friday's game in Kamloops. Also, Mahalik and Sutter will be back (both Sutters).

That is good news, though there seems to be some speculation about Hansen, as some people say he has a concussion, some people say he has the flu. If he has a concussion, I seriously doubt he will be back so soon, as it has only been barely a week.

loudi94
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I've wondered if Red Deer could handle Versteeg. Why does a guy who was top ten in scoring get traded by Kamloops? Once he gets to Red Deer he pines for Lethbridge as soon as Hoffard got fired. Ton of talent but verrry immature.

Hockey101
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
That is good news, though there seems to be some speculation about Hansen, as some people say he has a concussion, some people say he has the flu. If he has a concussion, I seriously doubt he will be back so soon, as it has only been barely a week.[/QUOTE]

I belive there is a league rule that guys that have concussion have to sit for 1 week.

Tinner
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
OK, a very good source has indicated ALL roster players will be back. I had also heard about the concussion to Hanson. Never have heard of any rule with respect to automatic time off for any type of injury, but it could be.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I've wondered if Red Deer could handle Versteeg. Why does a guy who was top ten in scoring get traded by Kamloops? Once he gets to Red Deer he pines for Lethbridge as soon as Hoffard got fired. Ton of talent but verrry immature.
In his defense, I have to say this is the first time I have seen him turn in a poor performance since he has gotten here, but... wow, what a poor performance.

Shinyshoes
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I have trouble Believing that Lamereoux will be back. His hand is still 2-3 weeks away... I talked to Pieper personally and he said he will be back next game, and Vandermeer has said the same. Dont know about Hanson, however.

Red celtic
01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Hansen will be back for friday and I am not sure Klotz will be playing on friday as he hurt his arm in the first period of the regina game. I also think this was the worst hockey I have seen from this team this year. It will be good to get some players back even though some of them have not played in a month or so.

frontrow fan
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I too thought it was good for about..uuummm...15 minutes...then the bottom fell out! I have been less and less impressed with Versteeg as the season has gone along. He's a puck hog, and never passes...thinks he can do it all!! Also, agree that Brett hasn't played near as hard since Brent has left.. maybe Uncle Brent puts a real fire under his Highney!! Cunning is a mystery!! his first game he was hitting everything that moved, and now seems to try to MISS everyone that he tries to line up... I like to watch Gillies, and Knackstedt, and Cline, and Brandon S. play, they play with more Heart than the rest of the team put together.. They might not be the most talented (excluding Brandon) but they sure have heart (I.M.O.) you can tell that they WANT to play here, and that's something I'm not sure all the rest of the players could say.
Not jumping ship or anything...but I'm really sick of losing!!! :(

SectionNDeserter
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
I have been less and less impressed with Versteeg as the season has gone along. He's a puck hog, and never passes...thinks he can do it all!!Well, on a good night he can (well except hit), and he has hogged the puck a lot this season, though mostly out of neccesity. But in the Regina game he didn't carry the puck, he didn't dig for the puck, he didn't hog the puck, he didn't do anything but put about 50 passes into the skates of the Regina players.

Also, agree that Brett hasn't played near as hard since Brent has left.. maybe Uncle Brent puts a real fire under his Highney!!
Yeah, I wonder how impressed Brent would be with all the exaggerated dives he took in the Regina game, it got embarassing after the first couple.

Cunning is a mystery!! his first game he was hitting everything that moved, and now seems to try to MISS everyone that he tries to line up...Hit them or not, if that is all he brings to the game--a guy who can hit, but can't score, set up plays or carry the puck more than 10 feet without losing it, there are about 4 or 5 hundred unprotected guys in the WHL protected areas who the Rebels could sign for nothing to go out there and do that, some of them might even fight.

I like to watch Gillies, and Knackstedt, and Cline, and Brandon S. play, they play with more Heart than the rest of the team put together.Yep, Gillies looks like he has a locomotive chained to his butt when he is going up the ice, but he still gets the job done. Cline gets noticably better every game he plays, with the exception of Brandon he is our best young guy out there night after night. Knackstedt is the sort of player who plays TONS better when paired with more talented linemates.