PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Russell vs Nigel Dawes

Icemancmd
01-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Hello all, New York Ranger fan here and I was wondering how you guys view Russell to Dawes? Obviously Dawes is playing pro hockey now (and doing VERY well might I add for a Rookie) and Russell is in his 3rd year of Juniors...who has higher NHL upside? Is Russell a better skater then Dawes was? Dawes was a sniper and Russell doesnt seem to be as good of a shooter but still scores a bucket of goals. How does Russell handle the league with his height...One of the big concerns with Dawes was that he was to small to play pro hockey but he came into the AHL and that has not effected him at all.

Any info on Russell would be great! Thanks guys! :)

Rammer
01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello all, New York Ranger fan here and I was wondering how you guys view Russell to Dawes? Obviously Dawes is playing pro hockey now (and doing VERY well might I add for a Rookie) and Russell is in his 3rd year of Juniors...who has higher NHL upside? Is Russell a better skater then Dawes was? Dawes was a sniper and Russell doesnt seem to be as good of a shooter but still scores a bucket of goals. How does Russell handle the league with his height...One of the big concerns with Dawes was that he was to small to play pro hockey but he came into the AHL and that has not effected him at all.

Any info on Russell would be great! Thanks guys! :)

I can't give you a comparison other than size much. Dawes for some reason just seems to be able to more with his limitation of size than I ever thought he could. From seeing him in his first year with the Ice, he shows up in the big matches. He is wider in frame and is why he can produce in traffic, where Russell has always had to battle with his size, probably why he isn't on the World Jr team this year. Having seen limited action from Russell 4 games maybe, I sure noticed Dawes moreso in his days with the Ice at an equivalent stage in their careers.