PDA

View Full Version : Dane Byers

westbeach55
01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
BYERS HOPING TO SPARK RAIDERS RESURGENCE - The Prince Albert Raiders had high expectations coming into the 2005-06 Western Hockey League season.

The team was coming off a lengthy run in the 2005 playoffs, having taken the Brandon Wheat Kings all the way to a seventh game in the Eastern Conference Final, and was returning many of the veterans and key players for this year's edition.

Yet, the first half of the 2005-06 season has been a struggle for the Raiders. The team currently sits with a 10-21-1-8 record after 40 games and finds themselves 23 points behind first-placed Saskatoon in the East Division.

19-year-old forward Dane Byers is one of 15 players on this year's Raiders squad who were part of last year's team that went all the way to the third round of the playoffs. As one of the team's veteran leaders, Byers knows full well the Raiders haven't lived up to their potential through the first half of the 05-06 campaign.

"As a team, we haven't been doing the little things right that will enable us to win a hockey game," said the product of Nipawin, SK. "We know we have the personnel on this team to turn things around."

Looking at the Raiders lineup, it's clear that Byers is correct in saying they have the talent to be an upper-echelon team in the East Division. For instance, a defense corps that boasts several NHL prospects like Mike Gauthier, Jeff May, A.J. Thelen and Evan Schafer should be able to handle the league's most potent of offenses.

One would also conclude that a group of forwards featuring names like Kyle Chipchura, Aki Seitsonen and Brett Novak should be able to get the job done in the offensive zone.

Yet, the team has struggled both defensively and offensively through the first half. Consequently, a Raiders team that was supposed to be in contention for a division title currently finds itself fighting for a playoff position.

So, how does a team with the talent level of the Raiders turn the ship around? Byers says what it really comes down to is work ethic.

"We just have to work harder," said Byers. "The only way you can get yourself out of a slump is by working hard.

"If we work, it's just a matter of time before things will start to go our way and we start clicking a bit better," said the 2004 second-round pick of the New York Rangers.

While the team has been generally underachieving through the first half, there have been some positives, including Byers' play. The 6'2", 191-pound left winger currently leads the Raiders with 12 goals and 27 points - both career highs - and has been one of the team's physical sparkplugs as well.

"Obviously, I've gotten more points this year than I have in the past, but that's a reward for going into the tough areas," said Byers, who suited up for Team WHL at the 2005 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge.

"I like to play in front of the net and battle, especially on the power play," he said. "For me, a big key is just to get into the corners or get to the spots where it's a hard place to play and dig pucks out."

Confidence also has helped Byers elevate his game this season. For Byers, the biggest confidence boost came from attending training camp with the Rangers in the fall of 2005.

"Just the experience of seeing elite players like (Jaromir) Jagr and (Michael) Nylander, and learning stuff from them that I could take back with me was big," said Byers.

"(Rangers' Management) told me they liked my skating, and to keep working on my hands around the net with finishing chances, and to keep working hard and try to improve each day," he said about the feedback he received while in New York.

The Raiders have a long uphill climb if they want to get back into the East Division through the second half of the 2005-06 season. However, the team certainly possesses the talent to make a run up the standings down the stretch...and Byers will be a key factor in sparking a turnaround.

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

Triton
01-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm sorry but your not going to win based on who your daddy is,your draft status or your reputation.You actually have to go out and work for 60 minutes.If you don't do that and in the process your undisciplined than your not going to have much success.Look at the upper echelon teams..Vancouver works their ass off.They don't have superstars on their team.Jeez their even without Brule and look at them.It's because they outwork you every shift,every night.

Sometimes,just sometimes you'll dominate based on skill.But majority comes from effort.In all honesty P.A doesn't have all that much in the skill department.So thats where the hard work is going to have to come into play.Apparently their record speaks for the amount of effort being displayed.Maybe if P.A worked for 60 minutes every game they'd be where the Kelowna's,the Vancouver's,the Kootenay's,the Tigers,the Hitmen are.

I always wondered why teams don't put forth in intensity during the regular season as they do in the playoffs.In that case P.A was very tough to play against.Anholt you better figure out how to get them fired up in all games other than against the Blades..cause your even failing in that aspect.