PDA

View Full Version : Martin Hanzel

Nature Boy
01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I heard that Red Deer might be interested in aquiring him from the pats. He played for the Czec Republic at the world juniors but is wanting to stay in North America. He is a draft pick of the Phoenix Coyotes. Has anyone else heard of this rumor?

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I heard that Red Deer might be interested in aquiring him from the pats. He played for the Czec Republic at the world juniors but is wanting to stay in North America. He is a draft pick of the Phoenix Coyotes. Has anyone else heard of this rumor?What would we possibly give up for him? At this point we are obviously not buyers.

Tinner
01-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I certainly dont think we would give anything up for him in the way of draft picks. The Rebels might give up a roster player who, if we stay healthy, may not play much the rest of the year.

SectionNDeserter
01-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I certainly dont think we would give anything up for him in the way of draft picks. The Rebels might give up a roster player who, if we stay healthy, may not play much the rest of the year.And who would that be? Bearing in mind that it would have to be a player that is both going to play a small role next season, and that Regina would actually want. And would Hanzel play/be eligible to play next season? Might be worth it then.

Tinner
01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, we are carrying 8 (1 extra) D man and at least 2 forwards who most likely wont play much. I hesitate to name who I would move, only to suggest there are 3 players that I could move, without giving up much, provided the trade would help the team.

SectionNDeserter
01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I hesitate to name who I would move, only to suggest there are 3 players that I could move, without giving up much, provided the trade would help the team.I won't hesitate! If I were Sutter, I would try to move Vandermeer, if he can make it to the trade deadline without someone cheap-shotting him--again and injuring him--again. My other 2 choices? Why its our other 2 overage players! Hansen is another hospital case, and I don't think Cunning really compliments the current players we have on the team very well.

Tinner
01-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Rest assured, it won't be any of them. Vandermeer is Brents type of player and there's no way that Hanson or Cunning will be moved, the price to bring them here was to big. That said, if they swing a big deal, as in acquiring draft picks in the first 3 rounds or highly rated 16 year olds, they may be involved. At any rate, I think we are "sellers" not buyers and we dont have much to sell if you believe we are in a rebuilding year.

SectionNDeserter
01-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Rest assured, it won't be any of them. Vandermeer is Brents type of player and there's no way that Hanson or Cunning will be moved, the price to bring them here was to big. That said, if they swing a big deal, as in acquiring draft picks in the first 3 rounds or highly rated 16 year olds, they may be involved. At any rate, I think we are "sellers" not buyers and we dont have much to sell if you believe we are in a rebuilding year.Yeah, I like Teddy too, but he has only played a handful of games in his career as a Rebel, because for one reason or another he is always injured. Overage players are always expendable at the trade deadline in a rebuilding year, as they are not going to be around next season. Vandermeer hasn't put up any numbers in the few games he has played this season, is sound defensively, though not overly physical, and he is a strong leader. If someone were willing to 'gamble' on him, it could pay off for them. :) If Sutter managed to get Hanzel for one of our 3 overage guys, and Hanzel was back next season, I think it would be an ok deal. As for giving up a lot for Hansen and Cunning, we gave up Johnson (which is basically nothing, does he even still play in this league?) for Hansen, and a 4th round pick for Cunning. That being said, Johnson is Johnson, and we know what we gave up for him, but the 4th round pick could turn out to be anything. Also Hansen hasn't done much for us either, because he is always injured. I agree with you on the Cunning part, we should probably hold on to him now, regardless of how much of a scrub he is, but I think if someone gives the right offer for Hansen or Vandermeer, Sutter should jump at it.

Rebels30
01-08-2006, 12:15 PM
IMO if teddy could stop getting hurt he would be a GREAT :clap: player for us ...and he can come back next year as a 20yr old :)

...now that ted is back is brett an assistant captin...and is brandon still an assistant captin?

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2006, 02:19 PM
...and he can come back next year as a 20yr old :)
Yep, though he will have a tough time making the team as an overage player if he is always injured. :( I for one don't count on him being back next year, unless something miraculous happens with him. It would be nice, if he is healthy to have him back next year but, I don't see it.

Tinner
01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree, but unless there is some trading on or before next seasons start, there are only 4 - 20 years on our protected list. Versteeg, Leslie and Vandy are roster players and a kidd by the name of Irving (G) from Swan Hills is on the ppl.

So really, there are no spots to challenge unless there are off season moves made, and I'll bet a dollar there will be some.

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I agree, but unless there is some trading on or before next seasons start, there are only 4 - 20 years on our protected list. Versteeg, Leslie and Vandy are roster players and a kidd by the name of Irving (G) from Swan Hills is on the ppl.

So really, there are no spots to challenge unless there are off season moves made, and I'll bet a dollar there will be some.Yeah, I never realized that overall in our entire system we were so low on '86 born players. I can't imagine Leslie will be back next season as an overage third-string goalie, so realistically I think Vandermeer is currently our ONLY prospective overage player for next season (at this time). Could make for some interesting trades at the deadline, or over the summer.

Rebels30
01-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I won't hesitate! If I were Sutter, I would try to move Vandermeer, if he can make it to the trade deadline without someone cheap-shotting him--again and injuring him--again. My other 2 choices? Why its our other 2 overage players! Hansen is another hospital case, and I don't think Cunning really compliments the current players we have on the team very well.

Do you have any idea who would want teddy? :(

nivek_wahs
01-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Hanzal may yet help Pats

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Martin Hanzal saga has taken an unexpected twist -- one that could have a happy ending for the Regina Pats.

The forgotten Czech superstar, who has been on Regina's suspended list for almost two years, recently informed GM Brent Parker that he's interested in joining a WHL team for the rest of the 2005-06 season.

Hanzal was Regina's top selection in the 2004 CHL import draft, but he refused to report and has been playing overseas ever since.

The 18-year-old power forward, a first-round pick (17th overall) of the Phoenix Coyotes, was the No. 1 centre for the Czech Republic at the world junior championship in Vancouver.

"He and his agent would like him to be in North America," confirmed Parker. "As far as we know, he went back to Europe with the Czech team (Friday), but we were told he definitely wants to come over."

Just not as a member of the Pats.

Hanzal's agent has remained firm on the stance that his client won't play in Regina. Even if that changes, Parker won't introduce an unknown element to his roster at the expense of Russian Denis Tolpeko or Czech Petr Kalus, who played with Hanzal at the world juniors.

WHL teams are not permitted to carry more than two imports, which means trading Hanzal is the most viable option.

"We're not going to get rid of Petr or Denis; that's just not going to happen," insisted Parker. "The chemistry in our room is good and those two guys have been a big part of that. They've been very good performers for us."

Given the history of mistrust between Hanzal's agent and the Pats, Parker refused to explore the open market until he received a signed transfer agreement from the player. Hanzal's representative agreed to the terms and Parker is now waiting for the papers to be returned.

Once the documents are in hand, Parker said he'll have three options: 1. Keep Hanzal in hopes he'll have a change of heart; 2. Trade him for young prospects and draft picks; 3. Trade him for older players who could improve the team immediately.

The problem with option No. 2 is the Pats would run the risk of overloading their roster with young players who could be lost in this summer's expansion draft for the Chilliwack Bruins. Therefore, Parker is leaning heavily towards Option No. 3.

"If we trade him," the GM said, "we want guys who are older and are going to help us now and will not affect our younger core come expansion time."

Parker has until Tuesday's WHL trade deadline to find a home for Hanzal -- and there's no shortage of interest.

The possibility of a deal raises some intriguing possibilities for the Pats, who believe they're not far from having a team capable of a meaningful playoff run.

A player of Hanzal's calibre -- he's a projected first-line NHL centre -- would potentially fetch a handsome price, but Parker's hands have been somewhat tied by further stipulations from the agent.

"They've affected our ability to make a fair trade by telling everybody there are only certain places he'll go," explained Parker. "We had a lot of teams that were interested and a couple that were more than prepared to make very fair offers. One did make a very fair offer that would have been a good fit for us and them but (the agent) told them 'No. He doesn't want to play there.' "

Parker has given all interested teams permission to speak with Hanzal directly, hoping the situation might be ironed out through third-party intervention.

"Unfortunately the young man is getting some very, very poor advice," the GM added. "They're hurting his long-term development. It would be in his best interest to find some new representation."

Rebels30
01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Do you know which teams he is willing to go to? :)

Number_4
01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
This whole saga is getting a bit tireing... Its almost like the kid thinks that he is good enough or special enough to be able to pick where he wants to play. Personally, I think its crap. Suck it up and play.... Also, do you not think that this could backfire on him? What team is going to want a player that may or may not show up after the trade... change his mind and stay in Europe. Im not sure if anyone is willing to take that risk.

Another question: Does anyone know of his status over in Europe? I believe that he has a contract over there. Can he get out of it to play in Canada?

And this was in todays leader post in Regina... kinda puts a spin on things:

Hanzal would like to complete this season in North America after participating in the Vancouver-based world junior hockey championship. However, Parker said Hanzal's agent, Robert Spalenka, has issued a list of only three teams to which his client will report.

"I'd say it's unlikely we'll move him,'' Parker said.

By retaining Hanzal's rights, the Pats would be hoping he signs with the Phoenix Coyotes, who picked him in the first round of the 2005 NHL draft. The Coyotes' brass, with whom the Pats have good relations, would then be in a better position to dictate where Hanzal plays as a 19-year-old.

Trade talks are ongoing regarding Hanzal. If a deal is made, Parker would prefer to land a player or two who can provide immediate assistance. The snag is that the teams with the most enticing offers are not on Spalenka's short list.

Rebels30
01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
lol..... i completley agree with what you saying...even if he's a good player..he isn't any specialer than any other player in the dub!

jeepers
01-28-2006, 09:08 PM
He is playing in Omaha Nebraska for the Lancers of the USHL. The website is www.lancers.com he's has played in 2 games so far, I have yet to see him play in person though.