PDA

View Full Version : 2 out of 3 ain't bad..

Triton
01-09-2006, 11:16 AM
www.wheatkings.com

Singer Meatloaf once belted out the lyrics "Two out of Three Ain't Bad". Well the Brandon Wheat Kings would be able to say for sure after winning two of three games during a grueling three game in three night Western Hockey League weekend schedule.

After beating Lethbridge 5-1 at the Keystone Centre on Friday night, the Wheat Kings opened up a mini 2-game Saskatchewan road trip Saturday night with a dramatic 2-1 Overtime Shootout victory over the Prince Albert Raiders. The busy schedule may have caught up with the Wheat Kings Sunday night as they surrendered three third period goals at the Brandt Centre in Regina, losing 4-1 to the third place Pats.

Sunday's loss, coupled with Prince Albert's 2-1 overtime victory over Swift Current, leaves Brandon in fifth place in the WHL's Eastern Division - one point back of the Raiders, with two games in hand. Brandon hosts Red Deer Wednesday while the Raiders will travel to Regina.

By collecting four points this past weekend, Brandon improved its record to 13-22-4-1 on the season and 3-3-0 since the club's Christmas break.

18-year old center Codey Burki, who was recently chosen the club's Tip Top Tailors Player of the Month for December, scored the lone goal for Brandon on Sunday night, giving him a team leading thirteen goals and 27 points on the season. Former Neepawa Natives' goalkeeper Kurt Jory made 26 saves for the Wheat Kings as he made his first start since blanking the Rebels on December 16th.

Brandon right-winger Ryan Reaves missed Sunday's game after being suspended by the WHL for an elbow that he dished out during Friday's win over the 'Canes. The league has yet to decide on the length of the suspension.

Veterans Tyler Strautman, Riley Day and Cole Hunter did not dress Sunday as they continue to nurse injuries. The most recent, Hunter, hurt his back during Saturday's win over the Raiders.

Joe Hallenback
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Not too bad. Watched the game on Sunday kinda of a snoozer both teams looked tired.

I think Brandon is looking not bad. The top line of Burki,Derlago and Sandell looked really good in both wins and gives a bonfide scoring threat when there on the ice every time.

Is it me or is Aulie starting to look really really good out there. Clark also looks pretty good as the puck seems to bounce towards him alot.

Hopefully we have a good second half and squeak into the playoffs. Who knows then maybe we ride a hot goalie for an upset or two.

WHEATMAN
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
ive also been impressed lately with the dittmer kauk clark line, espicially dittmer, he has really shown up these last few games and is proving he belongs, like you said clark has been playing great lately and if we can keep up with the scoring depth we have now, there is no reason we shouldnt make the playoffs.

Joe Hallenback
01-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Agreed. That line would have a tough in the MJHL let alone the WHL earlier in the season. Its nice to see them finally having some success.

One player I am worried about is Wikner. I thought he was good at the start of the season but really has disappeared lately. I wonder if the travel and amount of games played is starting to affect him.

WHEATMAN
01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
agreed wikner has been a disapointment, KM should have kept sindels rights traded the euro pick and left morgan mclean on the team, but now PG has picked up sindels rights and i have heard rumors of him joining the cougers, hopefully we can fet rid of wikner and maybe louis (who hasnt stepped up to the next level) for a 18 or 19 year old scorer.

Triton
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
We should trade John Wikner to PG to be with his brother in exchange for Jakub Sindel.John might be motivated to play with his brother.

WHEATMAN
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
its still not a givin sindel will join the cougers, and if he does i think we would have to give up say wikner and a 3rd or 4th round pick to get him cause he is high end talent, and if he does report he will in all likely hood just be here for the remainder of the season, as he will likely be playing in the AHL next season