PDA

View Full Version : Bonner Trade Deadline update

Beaner
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Bonner was on the radio today and offered these updates;

1) Lots of Teams calling about acquiring Vancouver D-men. Bonner basically said no dice, Team is happy with the D and they arent going to touch it. Sounded like the majority of calls for Bonner were in regards to getting the Giants D.

2) Brule, still waiting for word, didn't sound like they would be moving him as they would like him back. Should hear later in the week if/when he will be back.

3) Teams calling about the Goalies. No names/teams were mentioned of course.

No names and everything was very vague, but the general feeling I got was don't be surprised to see a goalie moved, which makes sense. Besides that nothing else much going on with the Giants. Bonner was implying that the Giants had to make sure they didnt mortgage next year to make a run this year, and they are very happy with the group they got.

Listening to Hay the other day it didn't sound like they were shopping much, but he did say if they got an offer that would improve the team they would look at it. Pretty standard non answer if you ask me. :laugh:

Anyway 24hrs to go to Deadline day.

N.W. Bruin
01-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't know if there will be a trade though with three goalies on the team's roster one would think that will be where it is. Slade wouldn't be moved as he is the goalie for the present (future?). Sexsmith and Tartaglione both have upsides and would hate to part with either. Sexsmith being a first round bantam choice and highly regarded would be a team's goalie of the future and Tartaglione has been dependable when called upon. Best situation I think would be to send Tyson to Junior A to get playing time.

Basically the team is set for next season as right now it appears the only missing pieces from this year's team will be the current overagers, Mitch Bartley and Paul Albers and Mark Fistric who will go pro and maybe Brett Festerling who has signed a pro contract (but that was with Burke's team so he just might send Brett back). Only definite overage next season will be Lamb and maybe Festerling and Slade if he returns and Chad Scharff might be in the mix because of his ability to play different positions.

The defence will be the biggest building block next season as they will need two maybe three new guys (to replace Fistric and Albers for sure and maybe Festerling though Schraff could move back). The goalie situation depends on whether Slade returns as a overage so they will likely need nothing there if he returns and if not if they hold onto Sexsmith and Tartaglione will still be set. Forwards the only guy to be replaced is Bartley (maybe Scharff) and they have Bouma and Wright who can jump in as 16s. There is also Brule who is still eligible to play junior next year which is the only place he can be outside of the NHL as still a underage.

Will the team add a overage this trading deadline? Doubt it as they is a shortage of them throughout the league and one doesn't give up a roster player for that (trade a mid or higher (3rd) round bantam choice if any up for grabs.