PDA

View Full Version : Huge Trade

Triton
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Saskatoon, SK – With the Western Hockey League trade deadline set for Tuesday January 10th at 4:00pm local time, General Manager & Head Coach Lorne Molleken, has announced the details of the clubs roster moves:

The Saskatoon Blades have acquired 19 year olds Joe Logan (D), Jim Watt (G), David Schulz (D) and 20 year old Chad Klassen (C) from the Spokane Chiefs in exchange for 17 year old rookie netminder Kevin Armstrong, 19 year old defenceman Evan Haw, along with the teams 3rd round Western Hockey League Bantam selection in 2006 and their 5th round Western Hockey League Bantam selection in 2007.

In Joe Logan coming to the Blades is a 19 year old defenceman from Gull Lake, Saskatchewan who is playing in his 4th Western Hockey League season. Logan began his Western Hockey League career in Vancouver with the Giants. Logan has played in 15 career Western Hockey League play-off games. In David Schulz the Blades are getting a 6’4” 19 year old defenceman who’s playing in his 4th Western Hockey League season. David was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the 2004 National Hockey League Entry Draft in the 8th round 254thoverall. Schulz played his first three complete seasons in Swift Current with the Broncos. Klassen was the Chiefs leading scorer coming into today’s trade deadline day. The speedy forward is playing in his 5th Western Hockey League season, all with the Chiefs until today joining the Blades. In 282 regular season games Chad has scored 96 goals, added 156 assists for 252 points. Chad has played in 15 Western Hockey League play-off games. In Jim Watt, the Blades acquired a 19 year old veteran netminder who will compliment Anton Khudobin in the Blades net. Jim has played in 4 Western Hockey League seasons, all with the Chiefs until today. Watt has collected 50 Western Hockey League wins and 10 shut-outs.

With all of today’s roster moves the Saskatoon Blades have 22 players on their roster, which includes 2 netminders, 7 defencemen and 13 forwards. All players acquired are expected in the Blades line-up on Wednesday night when the Blades travel to Swift Current. Saskatoon fans will have their first opportunity to see the new look Blades on Saturday January 14th when the Red Deer Rebels visit Credit Union Centre.

Beaner
01-10-2006, 03:11 PM
With this trade their is no doubt that the Blades are going for it right here, right now.

Triton
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
With this trade their is no doubt that the Blades are going for it right here, right now.

Yes I agree they are gonna be tough to beat.Saskatoon just became a contender for the league title as well as the Memorial Cup.

Jimmypop316
01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Kind of bumming right now, those were some key players we lost and I think in no way, shape or form Stehr is ever going to be a quality #1 goalie.

Can anyone tell us about the two players the Chiefs got back, more importantly Armstrong, is he capable of being a #1 netminder?

Triton
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Kind of bumming right now, those were some key players we lost and I think in no way, shape or form Stehr is ever going to be a quality #1 goalie.

Can anyone tell us about the two players the Chiefs got back, more importantly Armstrong, is he capable of being a #1 netminder?

Armstrong carried the load nicely while Anton was at WJHC.He was named to the top prospects team today and has played well all season.Armstrong is 14-7-1-1 with a 2.49GAA AND A 0.916 save %.Haw is tough and a solid defenceman.No Barker but he does have 21 pts with a +7 and 72PIM.

Billy Blade
01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Armstrong will be your number one goalie right now at 17 years old. You got a gem in him, and is the main reason why the Chiefs made this deal. Evan Haw is a big strong defenceman who does not use his size to his advantage often enough. It seems you either like him or you don't. I think he's a fairly solid player and a good kid who is well liked in the dressing room.

Jimmypop316
01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Armstrong will be your number one goalie right now at 17 years old. You got a gem in him, and is the main reason why the Chiefs made this deal. Evan Haw is a big strong defenceman who does not use his size to his advantage often enough. It seems you either like him or you don't. I think he's a fairly solid player and a good kid who is well liked in the dressing room.

Haha, one of those defensive pylons that people either love or hate, always gets blamed if things go bad? Thats pretty much what you are getting in Schulz, a solid defenceman but thats it.

But thats good to hear about Armstrong, I was hoping we would get something amazing out of Klassen because he has been a staple in the chiefs line-up since he joined with us.

Wildeyes
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
hee haw is gone the most overrated d-man in the league u should thank spokane for taking him

westbeach55
01-10-2006, 03:59 PM
wow what a good trade, getting rid of haw was good too

Fight Guy
01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
You had to expect this from Molleken. Just made the Blades better.

WHEATMAN
01-10-2006, 04:20 PM
now they are definetly a skilled team, but do they have the heart? could be kinda like the 03-04 wheatkings who had a loaded team, but couldnt deliver. but if any team can be good im glad its a team from the eastern division.

chiefgongshow
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
hee haw is gone the most overrated d-man in the league u should thank spokane for taking him
Saskatoon may have got rid of Haw, but took Logan who many of us in Spokane are happy to see, same with Schulz to an extent. Both are offensive defenseman who seem to be lazy in their own end. Good thing with them though is that they both have ok to good shots from the point.

Watt has been pretty inconsistent as a starter so far this year. The change of scenery should do him good. Do the Blades have a goalie waiting in the wings. I notice theres a big amount of 86's on this team as of now and they are for sure making a run at it this year.

Klassen is a player who seems to do everything average during the game but at the end of the night you look on the scoresheet and hes got alteast 1 or 2 points. Team him with Seto and theres a good chance he gets back to the 90+ point season he had when Schell was his liney. Hes listed as a centre but has been playing wing over the last 3 years mostly.

Good trade for both teams. Saskatoon got a scorer and players to fill some roles. Spokane got a tender whos proven to be able to start now, and has been netminder of the week this year. Haw is another Schulz but with more of a mean edge to him.

Dwight Schrute
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
i will second that

Dwight Schrute
01-10-2006, 06:29 PM
i was hoping the raiders wouldve got armstrong

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I am sad to see the Blades give up kevin Armstrong for a 19 yr old goaltender,but Anton Khudobin will probably not be back next year,so the Blades are set in goal for next season. I think Chad Klassen will help the offence,lots of firepower up front now,I am also glad that Evan Haw was sent packing,but he is a great guy though. I think that the Blades aquired 2 good defencemen in Logan and Schultz. Finally the Blades picked up a 20 yr old, I knew that was going to happen.

I can not wait to listen to these new guys on the radio on wednesday against Swift Current. I can not wait until Saturday to actually see these new guys in action and give them a warm Saskatoon welcome.

With this trade Lorne Molleken has shown what he is really capable of,it is obvious that he wants to make a deep playoff run and possibly a memorial cup run this year.

I am so excited for the team for the rest of the season and playoffs and I will be definately looking foward to going to the playoff games. This team just became alot better

Billy Blade
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Yes it should make Saturday night's game more interesting now to say the least. It will be a very fun night for me as my son's pre-novice hockey team is playing during the second intermission (I'm an assistant coach) so they are pumped about playing at the Blades game. :)