PDA

View Full Version : We got young quick.

Jimmypop316
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
2 20 year olds.
3 19 year olds.

Good to see we won't have to be shaving off any older players next year. Anyone else think Salmo is going to be back next year? I'm going to be surprised if he is back, because we might be able to get a better player in the import draft this year, hell pittsburgh might even have him play for their AHL team next year.

I am real excited to see Armstrong in net, the last goalie we had that was this promising was Brust, and its about time we have a stellar goalie in net!

rezstyle
01-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm kinda at a loss of words. I really don't believe Stehr is ready to start, but perhaps the new goalie will be our starter. He seems to have a good record, however mediocre save % and G.A.A.

I didn't believe we traded Klassen......hmmm, maybe it's better that way I guess. It causes a dilemma in lines though....who do you move up? do you break up a second line that has good chemistry right now, or move up a third liner? time will tell.

Shulz and logan I had mixed feelings about. I thought moving d-men was a good move, but then we turned around and picked another 2 up???? maybe it's a temporary thing until McCue comes back?

Finally, I'm excited to watch Haw....he's big, tough, and from his stats he can play a little too.

Overall, we needed to revamp, and we did just that. Let's hope we can get a little chemistry going by the end of the year.

Jimmypop316
01-10-2006, 06:03 PM
I feel exactly the same about Stehr, it seems he has a bit of confidence issues right now, but once he shakes those off he can do.

Armstrong is really talented from the sounds of things, hes playing in the Top Prospects game (along with Grabner who deserves it!!) and he has been the CHL player of the week this year already. He will definately be our goalie for years to come I think.

It looks like all the new guys are going to have to step up on the back-end. And hopefully Langkows success in the lower tier level will translate well up here, he sounds like he has quite a bit of talent.

Scout
01-11-2006, 08:39 AM
You picked up an excellent goalie in Armstrong. Got to see him play and he is very quick and good. You will enjoy him. As for Haw? Yes he is big and tough but takes alot of stupid penalties. You won't find many guys standing in front of Armstrong with Haw on the ice. He will hurt you if you do.

Scout

chiefgongshow
01-11-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm kinda at a loss of words. I really don't believe Stehr is ready to start, but perhaps the new goalie will be our starter. He seems to have a good record, however mediocre save % and G.A.A.

I didn't believe we traded Klassen......hmmm, maybe it's better that way I guess. It causes a dilemma in lines though....who do you move up? do you break up a second line that has good chemistry right now, or move up a third liner? time will tell.

Shulz and logan I had mixed feelings about. I thought moving d-men was a good move, but then we turned around and picked another 2 up???? maybe it's a temporary thing until McCue comes back?

Finally, I'm excited to watch Haw....he's big, tough, and from his stats he can play a little too.

Overall, we needed to revamp, and we did just that. Let's hope we can get a little chemistry going by the end of the year.

This trade was made with all intentions of Army being the starter in the pipes. He was the key part in the trade coming Spokanes way. The way I see it the 2nd line should be moved up to 1st status and Lynch-Ryan-Bowman can anchor the 2nd line. The D Spokane has is very questionable. Haw doesnt sound very mobile from most Stoon fans accounts and takes bad penalitys. The Chiefs have enough players who take the dumb penalitys already, hopefully Sawyer works with him on that aspect of his game. These are the combos Im guessing well see from now on. 3rd and 4th lines can be moved around without changing much as they are all the same type of players

Salmonsson-Hobson-Grabner
Bowman-Ryan-Lynch
Bruton-Erickson-Blackwater
Stoesz(Szaszkiewicz)-Compton(Langkow)-Linsley

Zimmerman-Spurgeon
Haw-Magistrale
Lynch-Falk(McCue)

Armstrong
Stehr

Blades 4 Life!
01-11-2006, 04:27 PM
you Spokane fans got to reliable players. I have only saw Armstrong play a couple times but he is very solid in goal. He really controls the rebounds. Haw isn't playing like he should, ya he has pretty good point for a D-man but he is a big guy but he doesn't use he strenght. But when you do see him hitting player left and right and seeing him dropping the gloves you guy will be amazed!

LifelongChiefsFan
01-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I cannot stand Speltz. Year after year this guy pulls off bonehead trades. I don't have any clue as to why this guy is still our GM. Why would he trade away two 19 year old defensemen just to get an 18 and a 19 year old in return? Where is the logic in that? We already have too many Dmen, plus we downgrade in the people we get. I like getting rid of Watt, but why not get a scorer?? That's what we needed. If we could have gotten someone to compliment Klassen instead of shipping him away, we really could have had things turned around. I really don't see it. Trade away our biggest offensive threat and get no forwards in return?? That's just stupid. I don't think picking up Armstrong is all that great either. Goalie of the future? Didn't we already have one in Stehr? Is Speltz really that good to say already that Stehr can't handle it? I loved Speltz's quote that said we addressed problems we have now. REALLY? Tell me Speltz what problems exactly did you solve? I am so upset about this trade, I guess the Chiefs are content to finish out of the playoffs once again. Speltz says one of the primary goals of the franchise is to be successful in the league. Well why don't you get your ******* head out of your *** and make trades that actually HELP the team and not hurt it. I can't stand that guy anymore all he does every year is just make dumb trades over and over again. It's gonna be another long year of being on the outside looking in. Oh well, that's the end of my rant i guess...

Jimmypop316
01-12-2006, 12:17 AM
I cannot stand Speltz. Year after year this guy pulls off bonehead trades. I don't have any clue as to why this guy is still our GM. Why would he trade away two 19 year old defensemen just to get an 18 and a 19 year old in return? Where is the logic in that? We already have too many Dmen, plus we downgrade in the people we get. I like getting rid of Watt, but why not get a scorer?? That's what we needed. If we could have gotten someone to compliment Klassen instead of shipping him away, we really could have had things turned around. I really don't see it. Trade away our biggest offensive threat and get no forwards in return?? That's just stupid. I don't think picking up Armstrong is all that great either. Goalie of the future? Didn't we already have one in Stehr? Is Speltz really that good to say already that Stehr can't handle it? I loved Speltz's quote that said we addressed problems we have now. REALLY? Tell me Speltz what problems exactly did you solve? I am so upset about this trade, I guess the Chiefs are content to finish out of the playoffs once again. Speltz says one of the primary goals of the franchise is to be successful in the league. Well why don't you get your ******* head out of your *** and make trades that actually HELP the team and not hurt it. I can't stand that guy anymore all he does every year is just make dumb trades over and over again. It's gonna be another long year of being on the outside looking in. Oh well, that's the end of my rant i guess...

I think these were good moves. There is no way we were going deep in the playoffs with our current team, hell I'll be surprised if we make it to the second round.

Stehr, is awful. I will say it now, he reminds me a lot of Aren Miller, overrated a lot. With Armstrong we get a goalie who can step in and not only has he shown amazing ability in Saskatoon, but he will be in the pipes more and will be getting more experience for next year.

I will agree with you that the offence is definately lacking now, but we do have a solid backend in place for next year, and we will only be losing two players this year if we don't want to make any players. We have a lot of draft picks to throw around if we need to get some quality scorers.

rezstyle
01-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I think these were good moves. There is no way we were going deep in the playoffs with our current team, hell I'll be surprised if we make it to the second round.

Stehr, is awful. I will say it now, he reminds me a lot of Aren Miller, overrated a lot. With Armstrong we get a goalie who can step in and not only has he shown amazing ability in Saskatoon, but he will be in the pipes more and will be getting more experience for next year.

I will agree with you that the offence is definately lacking now, but we do have a solid backend in place for next year, and we will only be losing two players this year if we don't want to make any players. We have a lot of draft picks to throw around if we need to get some quality scorers.

I'm somewhat in favor of the move also. I'm gonna miss Klassen, and that move hurt, but Logan and Shulz were best average D-men. Logan was undersized and Shulz didn't seem to have any physical presence in the game even though he's of size to do so.

Brust was way too inconsistent. He's have awesome nights and he'd have awful nights. Being he was the started the last season and a half, look at the record....he's had more awful nights.

Finally, looking back over the last month or so of play, the Chief's are not losing games 0-1, they are losing games 4-5, 3-4, etc. For having too many defensemen already, it doesn't seem like we have the quality we need, so you look at who are suppose to be leaders and who aren't getting the job done. You have a solid backbone in Lynch and McCue and a potential x-factor in Spurgeon, but you still need veteran leadership that will lead by example, which, hopefully Haw will do. If nothing else, Haw brings the potential fighting ability and physical game to hang with teams such as Portland, T/C & Seattle. Let's just hope he puts effort into his games as I have heard he's been known to be lazy, but maybe the move will rejuvenate him.

It may not be the best move for immediate success, but I just don't think we're contenders with Brust/Stehr....hell, the only contending we've been doing over the last year and a half was for the cellar.

chiefgongshow
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm somewhat in favor of the move also. I'm gonna miss Klassen, and that move hurt, but Logan and Shulz were best average D-men. Logan was undersized and Shulz didn't seem to have any physical presence in the game even though he's of size to do so.

Brust was way too inconsistent. He's have awesome nights and he'd have awful nights. Being he was the started the last season and a half, look at the record....he's had more awful nights.

Finally, looking back over the last month or so of play, the Chief's are not losing games 0-1, they are losing games 4-5, 3-4, etc. For having too many defensemen already, it doesn't seem like we have the quality we need, so you look at who are suppose to be leaders and who aren't getting the job done. You have a solid backbone in Lynch and McCue and a potential x-factor in Spurgeon, but you still need veteran leadership that will lead by example, which, hopefully Haw will do. If nothing else, Haw brings the potential fighting ability and physical game to hang with teams such as Portland, T/C & Seattle. Let's just hope he puts effort into his games as I have heard he's been known to be lazy, but maybe the move will rejuvenate him.

It may not be the best move for immediate success, but I just don't think we're contenders with Brust/Stehr....hell, the only contending we've been doing over the last year and a half was for the cellar.
Why are you talking about Brust? Did you mean Watts been inconsistent and later in the post that you dont think the Armstrong/Stehr this team would be contenders?

rezstyle
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Why are you talking about Brust? Did you mean Watts been inconsistent and later in the post that you dont think the Armstrong/Stehr this team would be contenders?

sorry, meant watt. I don't think with watt/stehr we'd be a contendor. Don't know about armstrong/stehr, but at least it's something to look forward to.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I know it has not been long, but how have they played since being traded to the Chiefs?

Jimmypop316
01-15-2006, 03:46 AM
I know it has not been long, but how have they played since being traded to the Chiefs?

Armstrong has been impressive in net, too bad we are a bit jumbled and its going to be a pretty tight battle to make it into the playoffs now. I wasn't expecting us to get far into the PO, but now I'm going to be surprised if we make it in.

Haw has also been pretty good, hes played on the PP these last two games and has a nice shot, and threw a big hit down in TC last night.

The team as a whole is obviously hurting from the trades. The PP right now is in shambles and a couple of the lines got screwed up. Watching them on wednesday after they made the trades was like watching a bunch of thrown together players trying to feel eachother out. The Powerplay is an absolute horror, we lost Klassen and Logan, pretty much the top guys who run the PP. I think they really need to get a couple practices in and get some chemistry going because it just looks horrid right now. The offence right now is like non-existant for lack of a better term.

That backend now is so young and is going to be a force in a year or two, Haw, McCue, Lynch, Falk, are all 6'4" and up and everyone is is 6'2" exluding Spurgeon.

LifelongChiefsFan
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
This team has basically played like crap since the trade. At least they scored a goal in the second game against T/C!!! I really wouldn't be surprised if Spokane didn't get more than 25 wins this year. I would love to see them go on a winning streak here and prove me wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

Jimmypop316
01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
This team has basically played like crap since the trade. At least they scored a goal in the second game against T/C!!! I really wouldn't be surprised if Spokane didn't get more than 25 wins this year. I would love to see them go on a winning streak here and prove me wrong, but I just don't see that happening.

yea the trades Speltz made were so made for the years to come, kind of bums me out but really you've got to thank about the future big time especially in the CHL. I just hope everything pans out as planned and players dont disappoint

rezstyle
01-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I'll admit, I've only seen a couple games, but although Armstrong shows promise, he's let in a couple goals he should have stopped. Haw is very slow. I hope he picks up the physical part of his game to make up for it.