PDA

View Full Version : Americans Deal Defenseman

Brad
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Kennewick, WA – The Tri-City Americans today have traded 18-year-old defenseman Phil Magistrale to the Saskatoon Blades for a 7th round bantam draft choice in the 2006 WHL bantam draft. The Blades immediately shipped Magistrale to the Spokane Chiefs in a separate deal for a 7th round pick in 2007.

The 6’2”, 180 pounder is from Tsawassen, British Columbia and appeared in 32 games for the Americans and had two goals, seven points and 45 penalty minutes. He was a -10 defensively.

“We were faced with a surplus of defenseman with the addition of Knudsen and this allows Phil an opportunity to continue his career in the WHL,” said Americans governor/general manager Bob Tory.

Triton
01-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Who hasn't that kid played for?

Brad
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
He will have played for the Americans and Chiefs. Is that a lot?

Stay-Puft
01-10-2006, 06:41 PM
On the whole, I'm not really disappointed that Magistrale was dealt. I don't think he performed that well (-10 defensively) and he was given numerous opportunities to succeed on the power play and increased ice time, but it just didn't seem to work. He seemed to be taking a few too many penalties lately. I wish him luck with Spokane.

Triton
01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
He will have played for the Americans and Chiefs. Is that a lot?

Just seemed like he was tossed around too much.

HAF
01-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Just seemed like he was tossed around too much.Just drop him...not fit for our league obviously.
I dont know about that, He went from a healthy scratch here TC to the first line in Portland overnight. He's young, give him some time to develop.

Brad
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm talking about Magistrale and it seems like you two are referring to McDonald.

Stay-Puft
01-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I dont know about that, He went from a healthy scratch here TC to the first line in Portland overnight. He's young, give him some time to develop.
In the game against Portland on Friday, he took a roughing penalty late in the 2nd. Boom, they score on the power play less than 20 seconds into the 3rd. He didn't get a bunch of ice time after that. I didn't see the goaltender interference in the game against Everett the next night (I watch at the other end), but luckily it turned into a shorthanded goal.

All that aside, a (-10) +/- rating is not good for anyone. I think he has the ability to succeed at this level. Hopefully the new scenery and responsibility will elevate his game. Personally, I think his being here last year, but not playing, really hurt his game, just like Mike McDonald. I hope we will start seeing more of Toll during games so he doesn't start down that same road of all practice, but no play.

Brad
01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
+/- ranting has to be taken in context, but in Magistrale's case that doesn't help his case. If he was playing on the first or second pairing (against the other team's top scorers) and was a -10 that would be one thing, but he sees most of his ice time against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines. When you do that and still manage a -10, that's trouble.

I think you will now see Gillen and Toll trade off as the team's 6th defenseman. I have a pretty good suspicion that Magistrale and possibly Gillen were being shopped the past month or so. Toll was too strong of a player, heck he played on the first pairing until they traded for Butterfield and Jones, to be sitting out for no reason. If a guy is being shopped, teams want to see him play. They can't evaluate whether or not they are interested in him if he is sitting in the stands. Both he and Gillen got a lot of playing time, including special teams play and I think it was for evaluation.

HAF
01-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm talking about Magistrale and it seems like you two are referring to McDonald.
LOL... Yep, you caught me with two different windows open on my computer.... Damn, I hate it when I do that!
As far as Magistrale goes, I really dont think we will be missing him too much. I never saw a whole lot from him that really impressed me. Too many bad penalties and very few positives to show for.

Brad
01-11-2006, 08:16 PM
HAF - Tried answering your question, but it said your private message space was all used up and you needed to delete some before you could receive more.

Brad

HAF
01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Its clear now

Stay-Puft
01-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I hope we get to see more of Toll. With the 2 defensemen we drafted this past year, we should have a decent blueline for some years to come. Toll just needs to get that ice time this year to better his skills and adapt to the speed of the WHL.