PDA

View Full Version : Parker has kind words for Hanzel and his Agent.

Golks
01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
As seen on the Global supper news.....

"They can sit on their fat asses in prague and wait....."

"He will just have to be happy in the Czech division 9 league or whatever they call it...."

and the best....

"I am not about to open a jar of vaseline so I can bend over and take it in the sphincter."

These aren't exact quotes but close enough. :)

Triton
01-11-2006, 01:05 PM
As seen on the Global supper news.....

"They can sit on their fat asses in prague and wait....."

"He will just have to be happy in the Czech division 9 league or whatever they call it...."

and the best....

"I am not about to open a jar of vaseline so I can bend over and take it in the sphincter."

These aren't exact quotes but close enough. :)

Here's the press release for that:

Parker refuses to be intimidated

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A defiant Brent Parker stuck to his guns -- and his principles -- at the WHL trade deadline.

Unable to find an acceptable deal for holdout forward Martin Hanzal, the Regina Pats GM indulged his itchy trigger finger on Tuesday by firing a verbal volley at Robert Spalenka, the European-based agent for the Czech superstar.

Spalenka drew Parker's ire with a trade request that included a list of just three WHL teams for which his client would be willing to play: The Red Deer Rebels, Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers.

The stipulation ultimately handcuffed Parker from making a deal that even resembled fair market value for Hanzal, a first-round pick (17th overall) of the Phoenix Coyotes. The 18-year-old power forward is considered a can't-miss NHLer.

"We could have just gone out and got something for him but we were backed into a corner," explained Parker, who remains open to trading Hanzal in the summer -- provided the offers improve significantly. "We'd love to (make a deal in the future) but I'm not going to bend over while someone gets the jar of Vaseline . . . Enough is enough. I'm not getting pushed around anymore. These guys who think they can dictate where players play, to hell with all of them."

Parker received multiple offers for Hanzal, including one he was prepared to accept late last week which would have bolstered Regina's lineup for the playoff drive.

However, that offer came from a team that wasn't on Spalenka's list.

"Quite frankly, (Hanzal) and his agent can go sit in Prague on their fat asses and do whatever they want because I'm so fed up with the whole thing," said Parker. "It's a disgrace the way they've handled it. To me, it's a slap in the face of a lot of real good hockey people. I'm not even just talking about us. If they don't want to come to Regina, fine. But there are a lot of good hockey people and good operators in this league that they just flat out turned their noses up at. To hell with them. He can spend the rest of his life playing in the Czech Division 9 or whatever the hell he wants to play in. Until we get something that's worthy we're not going to move him."

Parker spent the past two days attempting to negotiate a last-minute compromise, but to no avail. The best offer he received was from Red Deer's Brent Sutter, who was prepared to part with a young player and draft picks.

That wasn't going to cut it.

"I feel bad for Martin, quite frankly," added Parker. "He's getting really, really bad advice from somebody who quite apparently knows nothing about our league and is not doing anything in the best interest of the player's development."

Parker's frustration also stems from the fact that he felt a Hanzal trade would have given him the ammunition to make a second deal for established WHL talent.

Now the Pats will have to settle for what they have.

"We looked at a couple of things to try to upgrade our toughness a little bit, but it just didn't make sense (from a compensation standpoint)," said the Pats GM, whose club sits third in the East Division at 23-18-0-1. "We like our team, we like our chemistry. We've done a lot of (good) things the first six months of the year. We were more than prepared going into this to go forward with this group."

That's fine with the players, many of whom had some sleepless nights leading up to the deadline.

"No matter what year it is, there's always speculation and rumours," noted veteran centre Kyle Ross, who was acquired from Red Deer at the deadline two years ago. "There's always relief when it's done.

"Coming into this year we weren't really sure what to expect but I think we have a good group of guys in the room, the chemistry is good in the room. It's kind of nice to not have a big shakeup at the deadline."

JDubb
01-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Typically everyone is bashing Parker for what he says or does, but he does speak what is on his mind. I say good for him in wanting full value. We don't have to cater to Hanzel and we are doing just fine with our two Euros right now.

If the Pats can find a way to be consistent on the road (in all positions) they can be a force. We will see how the season plays out

Beaner
01-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Glad to hear that Vancouver wanted nothing to do with this cancer.

I feel bad for PA, but full marks to Parker for making the kid rot.

Time for a new agent for this guy IMO.

Bran
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Typically everyone is bashing Parker for what he says or does, but he does speak what is on his mind. I say good for him in wanting full value. We don't have to cater to Hanzel and we are doing just fine with our two Euros right now.

If the Pats can find a way to be consistent on the road (in all positions) they can be a force. We will see how the season plays out

I don't think Parker will be bashed too much for this. He has every right to be angry. Maybe it wasn't something he should have said so publicly, but I don't think there are many people who can't see where he's coming from. I have so very little respect for the man, but he does speak his mind and I have to at least give him credit for that.