PDA

View Full Version : NHL discussions Feb 3, 2005

Tinner
02-03-2005, 08:11 AM
With todays meetings, including the 2 big guys, is there any hoppe that a settlement can be accomplished?

I say this season is toast and unless there is a real genuine attempt to get something done before September, I see next season being all or partially wiped out.

One thing I'm a little unclear of is this little known fact.

It has been reported that there are about 700 members in the NHLPA and as of right now about 250 of them are free agents. At the end of this "season" another 300 will join them.

How or will this fact impact any discussions? Is it something the NHL is using or could use to pressure the NHLPA?

Just my random thoughts say; the more free agents, the more likely there will be guys crossing the line.

froliker2000
02-03-2005, 11:41 AM
With todays meetings, including the 2 big guys, is there any hoppe that a settlement can be accomplished?

I say this season is toast and unless there is a real genuine attempt to get something done before September, I see next season being all or partially wiped out.

One thing I'm a little unclear of is this little known fact.

It has been reported that there are about 700 members in the NHLPA and as of right now about 250 of them are free agents. At the end of this "season" another 300 will join them.

How or will this fact impact any discussions? Is it something the NHL is using or could use to pressure the NHLPA?

Just my random thoughts say; the more free agents, the more likely there will be guys crossing the line.
do u think ur funny or something cause ur not theres never going to be a season :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tipped Off
02-03-2005, 11:55 AM
This season is over. Won't happen. The thing is, Hockey has a grip on Canada, so once they return next year or midway through next year the fans will return. Here in the U.S. it won't happen so fast. There all ready is a tough sell to get fans to the games.

ScottyWazz
02-03-2005, 12:44 PM
If the NHL season is wiped out, then you can bet that with the way the negociations have been happening, the first part of next season will be wiped out as well.

That being said, I don't think the players or the owners are stupid enough to lose 18 months of money. Sure the owners have other assets and the players have gone elsewhere for hockey, but it's not the same bank that it is in the NHL.

With the two leaders coming in, something could happen. I wouldn't think that they would meet up when they are so far apart to just say to one another, "Thanks for playing, we'll talk to you in September." I think they want something done sooner rather than later.

Is this season done?? Meaningfully, yes.

Will there be some kind of tournament or playoff format?? If they want to get the US fans back, more than likely yes. If they don't care about the US fans coming back this year, so be it.

I think the players and owners would want to get some kind of revenue (players more than the owners) than to sit on their duffs for 18 months making a fraction of what they would in the NHL over in Europe or some North American minor league.

The_Vulk
02-03-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't think anything positive will come out of this latest talks (with both leaders present).

We KNEW before that last labour stopage over 10 years ago, that the system needs an overhall, in order for ALL the teams to be COMPETATIVE, and financially healthy.

The PA's players whom stole those jobs in Europe are enjoying the atmosphere, since those fans can afford to watch them play, and have one hell of a time at the games.

I'd say, most of them should just stay there. :mad:

kelownakarl
02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
At this point of the lockout I dont give two craps what either side has to say. if they are greedy enough to wait this long they will be greedy enough to wipe out the season. they dont care one bit about the fans, so why should we care about them? I am happy watching the WHL live, and OHL and QMJHL and even the AHL on tv. I don't need the NHL to get my hockey fix. I live in Kelowna, home of a WHL team, 35 minutes north a BCHL team, an hour (or so) south another BCHL team. 45 minutes south a KIJHL team. Thats good enough hockey for me.

IceMan
02-03-2005, 06:05 PM
What I still don't unerstand is why, with every day since September that a settlement wasn't reached, games were lost, yet the 2 sides never talk.

We're already talking about losing next season, too. Seems to me like if they talked WEEKLY instead over every 90 days, they could get a resolution sometime before summer.

Instead, they're going to cancel this season, breathe a sigh of relief that the pressure is off, and then not chat again until next September.

That's bull****, IMO. Sit down, figure it the hell out, and get playing again.

Chipper
02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I realy never thought that they would settle this fight this year. the two sides are dug in for a good long lockout. I would be very suprised if they even talk at all till next sept and probably won't see hockey till jan 2006

Number_4
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I realy never thought that they would settle this fight this year. the two sides are dug in for a good long lockout. I would be very suprised if they even talk at all till next sept and probably won't see hockey till jan 2006

I agree, however, I do wonder why they havent bothered even talking really. And I dont mean those small meetings- that was a last ditch effort to save face and we all know it- I mean actual negotiations. IMO, the main reason that there isnt more pressure to negotiate settlements is because so many players are comfortable playing in Europe. Why bother trying to salvage a season when your playing elsewhere?

IceMan
02-03-2005, 08:59 PM
At least you canadians get some hockey on TV. Down here, we have NOTHING, other than the 30-odd home games for our dub team ...

kelownakarl
02-03-2005, 09:35 PM
At least you canadians get some hockey on TV. Down here, we have NOTHING, other than the 30-odd home games for our dub team ...

36 to be exact, plus exhibition a nd playoffs. ;)

Kassian
02-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Screw the NHL. I don't care if they come back or not. There are so many problems with the game it isn't even funny. Besides, the WHL is more entertaining....

HAF
02-04-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm buying one of those Canadian satelites they were talking about in another post. I'll get my hockey fix that way. I'm gonna check it out online today. I'll get the prices for you if you want....
Any Canadians want to loan me there address?

IceMan
02-04-2005, 10:11 AM
I missed that thread ... can you repost the URL ?

HAF
02-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Heres the thread.

http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=457

The_Vulk
02-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I hate how sports negotiations operate! :mad:

As they said on "HockeyCentral"...

They MUST put into any CBA, that serious talks must be made at least 6 months before the current one expires. If a new agrement is not made, and one month has lapsed since the previous one ended, it is automatically sent to (I forgot what exactly they called it) a neutral abritrator to settle it.

None of these strike/lock-out crap.