PDA

View Full Version : As happy as I am ...

WHL Rules
01-12-2006, 05:24 AM
As happy as I am about Team Canada winning the gold medal and the outstanding coaching performance of Brent Sutter, it sure got the rumor mill up and running once again about Sutters future as an NHL coach.

Last week it was 'Sutter will be the new NJ Devils coach', today after the Islanders fired their 9th coach in 10 years it's 'Brent Sutter will take over as headcoach and GM of the NY Islanders' - if they can get rid of Mad Mike, who has to be the front-runner for the title of "Worst GM in the NHL" - and of course there is the all time classic about a possible brother act in Calgary, once Darryl decides to step down from his coaching duties.

While I think that Brent might be interested in the NY Islanders job (according to Bob McKenzie he once stated that this would be a "dream job"), I sure hope he will stay in Red Deer. I don't know, but I think Brent Sutter and junior hockey is just a perfect fit. :)

Although the prospect of Brent telling some overpaid NHL star to get a haircut is intriguing. :D

Rebel66
01-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Brent Sutter is the best coach not coaching in the NHL for sure. I just wonder why he would jump to the NHL now though, given the remarkable situation he has here in Red Deer?

He has as much stability as anybody could possibly want here, the franchise is regarded as a model for all junior teams. Not only that but his son plays on the team and will for a few years, his nephew plays for the team, his wife runs the mechandising, his brother coaches just down the road, his farm is local etc. etc. I could go one but you get the point.

That said, does he need a new challenge? Has this season's grind with a less talented team taken it's toll? The Islanders are a team obviously close to Brent's heart but is it the best fit for him? They hardly have any fans, by all accounts they have, say we say, interesting owners. It would certainly be a huge challenge for him.

I've always wondered about the Flames being the team where he makes the jump to coaching in the bigs. That would seem like the ideal situation for him.
What's the liklehood that he sticks around while Brandon plays here and tests the NHL waters after that time?

Shinyshoes
01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I do agree that the Islanders would be a good fit, however, as WHL Rules stated, I dont think he is going anywhere untill Brandon Graduates from the WHL. On top of that, I dont see Mike Milbury and Sutter being the perfect Pair either. If/When Sutter takes the Step to the NHL, I think it will be a similar situation that Darryl has in Calgary, with a Dual GM/Head Coach duties.

WHL Rules
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I do agree that the Islanders would be a good fit, however, as WHL Rules stated, I dont think he is going anywhere untill Brandon Graduates from the WHL. On top of that, I dont see Mike Milbury and Sutter being the perfect Pair either. If/When Sutter takes the Step to the NHL, I think it will be a similar situation that Darryl has in Calgary, with a Dual GM/Head Coach duties.

Looks like Milbury will step down at the end of the season as GM and the Islanders will go with an interims headcoach for the rest of the season and then look for a new headcoach/GM in the summer. Sutter is the most named candidate. Although I don't think that Brent would be very happy with the owner Charles Wang. According to the NY Post Wang has "developed a Steinbrenner-like, hands-on approach to hockey operations, with Charles Wang making suggestions on everything from line combinations to coaching philosophy to the videos played on the scoreboard before games." And this from a guy who was reading "Hockey for Dummies" the day that he bought the team. :laugh:

Tinner
01-13-2006, 09:51 AM
well, that situation has now happened, that is, the dual GM/Coach for the Islanders is open and as I understand it, Brent has turned it down. So one must assume that the timing isn't right, for whatever reason.