PDA

View Full Version : Howarth unlikely to Report

Tipped Off
01-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Everett Herald Article: "Slim Chance Tips See Howarth"
January 12 2006 at 5:36 AM
No score for this post Redwic (Login Redwic)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: Thursday, January 12, 2006

Slim chance Tips see Howarth

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - It looks like the Everett Silvertips will be left holding an empty bag.

Again.

Everett's trade-deadline acquisition of Kyle Howarth from Prince Albert is in limbo as Howarth appears unlikely to report to the Silvertips.

Everett coach and director of hockey operations Kevin Constantine characterized the deal as "still up in the air." But it seems the chances of Howarth joining the Tips are slim.

If the deal falls through, it will be the second time this season an Everett trade was nullified because a player chose not to report.

"My guess is I'll know in a day," Constantine said about the status of the trade.

Everett acquired Howarth, a 19-year-old left wing, from Prince Albert on Tuesday in exchange for 16-year-old center Jesse Burt and a fifth-round pick in the 2007 Bantam Draft.

The 6-foot-1, 196-pound native of Belair, Manitoba, was supposed to add some size and depth to Everett's front line. Though notching just one goal and eight assists in 38 games between Prince Albert and Spokane this season, he was solid with Spokane last season, netting 15 goals and 10 assists in 61 games.

In initial discussions between Everett and Howarth following the trade's completion, Howarth indicated he would report to Everett. However Howarth, who has been traded three times in two years, contacted the team later Tuesday night to say he changed his mind. It was subsequently reported that he had joined his former Junior A team, the Selkirk Steelers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

"I think it was a case of a player unhappy with playing hockey," Constantine said. "We were hoping we could get the guy who scored 15 goals a year ago in Spokane. It turns out his only scoring one goal I think is related to the fact he wasn't having fun playing anymore."

Everett had a near-identical situation occur earlier this season. In October Everett traded for 18-year-old right wings Brady Leavold and Boris Leckovic from Swift Current in exchange for two conditional draft picks. However, the deal fell through when Leavold, the primary target in the trade, decided to play for the Burnaby Express of the British Columbia Hockey League instead of reporting to Everett.