PDA

View Full Version : Heshka Greyhound POW

Tipped Off
01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Calgary - The Greyhound WHL Player of the Week is defenceman Shaun Heshka of the Everett Silvertips. Heshka earned player of the week honours by recording a goal and seven points in three games during the week of January 9th to January 15th. Heshka also had a plus-minus rating of +6 while helping the Silvertips to a perfect record for the week.

On Wednesday, January 11th, Heshka recorded four assists in an 8-1 win against the visiting Tri-City Americans. On Friday, January 13th, Heshka recorded an assist in a 5-1 win against the visiting Portland Winter Hawks.

On Saturday, January 14th, Heshka scored a goal and added an assist in a 4-2 win over the Giants in Vancouver.

Heshka, a 20-year-old native of Melville, Saskatchewan, is a free agent.

Tipped Off
01-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Published: Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy to be back in Everett
Heshka would prefer to be in AHL, but he's having a big season with the Silvertips

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Was it worth coming back?

In Shaun Heshka's perfect world, the Everett Silvertips are no longer part of the equation. In his perfect world he's suiting up on defense for the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights of the American Hockey League. And in his perfect world he's earning a decent wage playing the game he loves.

The Silvertips' Shaun Heshka is the top scoring defenseman in the Western Hockey League with 41 points.
But perfection wasn't in the cards for Heshka.

Instead he's spending his 20-year-old season back in junior hockey, when that dream of professional hockey seemed within his grasp just months ago.

So was it worth coming back? Is Heshka receiving value from his added season of junior?

Being an overager in the Western Hockey League can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, making a team as a 20-year-old is a significant achievement because the limit of three overagers per team squeezes several players out of the league each year.

On the other hand, for some players returning to junior as an overager is a disappointment. A substantial percentage of 20-year-olds sign professional contracts and end up playing in the AHL, or even the East Coast Hockey League. It's not unusual to find a 20-year-old whose production drops from his 19-year-old season because he's just going through the motions, his mind instead focused on what could have been.

Heshka found himself in just that position this preseason.

Heshka, who was never selected in the NHL Draft, was invited to attend the Calgary Flames' preseason training camp. He departed believing he had a good shot of impressing the Flames enough to earn a pro contract and play for the Flames' AHL affiliate in Omaha. The Silvertips themselves were holding their breaths, wanting the best for Heshka but also concerned they may lose their top defenseman.

"I was hoping I'd get signed," Heshka said. "They told me there wasn't anyone there who shouldn't be able to go pro. I thought I played pretty well and I did well at all the testing."

But instead of signing him, the Flames sent Heshka back to the Silvertips, along with recommendations on improving his game and the knowledge the scouts were keeping a close eye on him.

"It was a little disappointing just because I wanted to sign," Heshka said. "But I definitely wasn't disappointed by any means in coming back."

No kidding. Heshka embraced his return to Everett and has thrived this season. He currently has 41 points, which ranks first in the league among defensemen, and is one of the unquestioned leaders on the team.

He's also taking heed of the words of wisdom imparted by the Flames.

"I think they were looking for a player who could be more competitive on a consistent basis," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "So I think his challenge this year has been to compete hard every night. I think he's done a pretty good job of that. I don't think you'd give him an A+, you'd give him more of an A- because there's still the occasional night where he's not going as hard as he can."

Heshka's greatest influence is on the power play. Five of his nine goals and 20 of his 32 assists have been recorded on the power play, where he mans the point. His efforts are one of the major reasons why Everett ranks first in the league in power-play efficiency at .206.

That's the same power play that lapsed into chaos when Heshka missed six games in November because of a back injury, going a pitiful 1-for-34.

"I think we saw where we'd be when he got injured," Constantine said. "Now there were other injuries at the time, but we really struggled to develop any offense five-on-five and on the power play. So there's no doubt he's a key component."

And by coming back to Everett Heshka's been able to experience the Tips' transformation into the offensively-gifted team that's flying high atop the U.S. Division.

"I think we have a great team here," Heshka said. "We have a team that has a chance to do it all, I think. This being my last season, being a part of that would be unbelievable. I'm just glad I can play here and I'm excited for the end of the season and the playoffs."

So was it worth coming back?

In Heshka's case, the answer is an unqualified "yes."