PDA

View Full Version : Serious goaltending issues

loudi94
01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Leclerc is not ready (may never be) and the tall drink of water scares the hell out of me. I'm worried someone is going to literally put one through him. He's 6'6 and paper thin.
5 goals against last night and at least 3 of them should have been routine saves. Someone explain to me how Opsahl wasn't contributing to the development of Leclerc to the point where he had to be moved. The mess in the 'Canes net rest squarely on the new GM.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Saw the game on Sportsnet last night, and Hurricane goaltending looked a little rough.

I'm almost surprised that the Hitmen didn't get a few more in, they had some great opportunities. And while, 'Canes goaltending looked like it was hurting, I have to say their offense looked a little more like their old selves.

Yellowhorn was playing a great game out there, and same with the rest of the offensive line. Defense was looking good too, sacrificing the body to block shots all game. There had to be a few bruised players after that.

Pogge, as always, was playing great and it took some great manuevers to beat him in net. This guy has proven that he has what it takes to move to the big leagues.

And I'll even go as far as to say the reffing looked half decent for once. Agar let the game flow pretty well, while still making calls when appropriate.

Good game to watch in the end.

taylor0017
01-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Both these goalies are young and will need time , neither has played alot this year. Opshal was horrible. Let in at least one bad goal a game. I think both goalies will get better. To blame the goaltender situation on the new GM is wrong because he did not trade for Opshal and the Canes are not deep with goalies in the depth Chart. Thats why we had Adam Ward , we released him for Opshal. Sorachan was aquired through a trade. Koopmans was the only goalie that has come up through the Bantam draft. So we need to start to develop our young goalies. And yes I agree Leclerc may not be ready yet , but at his time it is the best that we can do.

loudi94
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Both these goalies are young and will need time , neither has played alot this year. Opshal was horrible. Let in at least one bad goal a game. I think both goalies will get better. To blame the goaltender situation on the new GM is wrong because he did not trade for Opshal and the Canes are not deep with goalies in the depth Chart. Thats why we had Adam Ward , we released him for Opshal. Sorachan was aquired through a trade. Koopmans was the only goalie that has come up through the Bantam draft. So we need to start to develop our young goalies. And yes I agree Leclerc may not be ready yet , but at his time it is the best that we can do.

How many bad goals are we going to see from now until the end of the season? Opsahl let in a few stinkers, but made some incredible stops also. With these two minding the nets, we've pretty much declared this season is over. No miracle upsets to be had. A 16 year old has no business being the starter for any WHL team. As a season ticket holder I feel like management kicked the fans in the nuts all year. This is just the icing on the cake. I know they're building for something, but goalie shouldn't be your weakest spot, especially for the reason given for Opsahl being dealt.

iggy_23
01-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Geez everyone needs to settle down it was one game, and do u really think the hurricanes were goin to beat the hitmen or the tigers with Opshal in net?? NO FRICKING WAY, I think this GM has done a great job so far like look at what hes done with Kootney over the last 5 years. This is goin to be great experience for both of the goalies and the GM has said there building for the future so how about everyone just get off the GM and the goalie's back.

loudi94
01-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Geez everyone needs to settle down it was one game, and do u really think the hurricanes were goin to beat the hitmen or the tigers with Opshal in net?? NO FRICKING WAY, I think this GM has done a great job so far like look at what hes done with Kootney over the last 5 years. This is goin to be great experience for both of the goalies and the GM has said there building for the future so how about everyone just get off the GM and the goalie's back.
It's not everyone, it's just me. Our goaltending is worse today than it was a week ago. That's the GM's decision. If they've decided that this season's a wash, then fine but don't BS about it. I think the fans deserve better than what we're going to see in goal and quite frankly there are three 20 year old players on this team that deserve better too. Leclerc should be starting in Junior A to get his much valued mentoring and experience.
BTW what did he do with Kootenay over the last 5 years? Watch the GM make moves and learn I would hope. When did Kootenay have a 16 year old as their starting keeper?

iggy_23
01-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I believe if i remember correctly Dan Blackburn was 16 when he lead the Kootney Ice to the WHL Championship.

Nielson11
01-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I believe if i remember correctly Dan Blackburn was 16 when he lead the Kootney Ice to the WHL Championship.
You are correct and I was in Cranbrook at the time. Danny Blackburn may have been the best goalie the WHL ever saw.a..it's a damn shame he only played 2 years before the Rangers ruined him

loudi94
01-18-2006, 08:03 PM

Was Roy there?

Some quotes about Mr. Blackburn:
"At 16, it is amazing. I've been in this league for years and I've never seen a goaltender as well prepared and mentally tough. Even when I played I never saw a goalie get prepared like this." - Ryan McGill, head coach Kootenay Ice, 1999-00

"With Dan it helped that he was playing Tier II at 14. He was able to play with older players so you could see him at an advanced level." - Bob Tory, Kootenay's Director of Hockey Operations, 1999-2000

"We projected he'd be an impact player. So, is he ahead of schedule? Yes. Are we surprised? No." - Bob Tory

There was a pretty good article in the Lethbridge Herald about the situation in Lethbridge. I see the point, but it is still frustrating to say the least. I will lump it for now, but if next year brings about more sweeping changes, then all bets are off.

Tinner
01-18-2006, 08:55 PM
why would you say the Rangers ruined him? He retired because of a recurring injury that wouldn't get better, even with all the time off. That injury could have happened anywhere. Injuries, the last time I checked, have ended many a players careers.

As for the Lethbridge goaltending, we have a 16 yr old as the starter in Red Deer, and he isn't the reason we are losing!!! He might even be the reason we are staying in a lot of games.

SectionNDeserter
01-18-2006, 11:43 PM
why would you say the Rangers ruined him? He retired because of a recurring injury that wouldn't get better, even with all the time off. That injury could have happened anywhere. Injuries, the last time I checked, have ended many a players careers.I think what he means is that they ruined him by bringing him up to the Rangers as an 18 year old straight out of junior , and throwing him out in front of a brutal team to face 50 shots per night from NHL calibre players, rather than develop him in their farm system (or in Junior).