PDA

View Full Version : Shane Doan takes legal action against Liberal MP

westbeach55
01-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Phoenix Coyotes forward Shane Doan filed an introductory motion in Quebec Superior Court against Liberal MP Denis Coderre on Tuesday.

CBC Sports

Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan is seeking damages from Liberal MP Denis Coderre. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
The motion seeks reparations for damages in response to remarks Doan considers false and defamatory made by Coderre. Doan claims Coderre, a former minister in charge of sports, made damaging statements that were falsely attributed to him during a game between Phoenix and Montreal last month.

Doan found himself in trouble after Coderre, an MP from the northeastern Montreal riding of Bourassa, wrote to Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson. In the letter, Coderre asked Nicholson to expel the Coyotes captain from Canada's Olympic team unless he formally apologized for an alleged ethnic slur he made against francophones.

During the Dec. 13 contest at Montreal's Bell Centre, referee Stephane Auger assessed Doan a 10-minute misconduct penalty after concluding he verbally abused an official and made culturally insensitive comments against the referees. Both referees and both linesmen for the game were francophones from Quebec.

The NHL reviewed the allegations and concluded that they were unsubstantiated since there wasn't any proof Doan made any racial slurs. The NHL did not take any additional disciplinary action against Doan.

Shortly after Coderre contacted Hockey Canada, Doan's lawyer sent a letter to Coderre, stating that the Coyotes forward considered his allegations to be "defamatory," and that his client would pursue legal action if no formal retraction was made within 10 days.

Doan, a native of Halkirk, Alta., has publicly denied the allegations and has always maintained that Coderre wrongfully accused him.

"Such remarks are completely incompatible with the values I espouse as both a hockey player and a proud Canadian citizen; and I reaffirm that I would never use derogatory language towards members of any community or group, including those who speak either of Canada's two official languages," Doan declared in an affidavit attached to the motion.

Doan is seeking $250,000 from Coderre, including $200,000 for moral damages and $50,000 for punitive and exemplary damages. Doan plans to donate to charity any and all damages he may be awarded.

Doan also wants Coderre to make a public retraction.

www.msn.ca

The_Vulk
01-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I hope Doan wins.

The Liberals are nothing but a bunch of croaks, whom use slander and attacks if things don't go their way. (Just look at what they do during elections. They know their policies are worthless, so they attack the opposition directly). This is just another example of what is surely to be an ex-liberal MP trying to do anything to get sympathy votes.