PDA

View Full Version : Tips prospect Beach in Trouble

Tipped Off
01-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Tips' prospect Beach in trouble

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Everett Silvertips super prospect Kyle Beach has found himself in hot water.

Beach, the Silvertips' first-round pick in the 2005 Bantam Draft, faces a lenghty suspension from his Midget team after allegedly getting into a physical confrontation with an official.

"I know he was involved in an incident that is requiring the league to look at it from a discipline standpoint," Everett coach and director of hockey operations Kevin Constantine said. "I don't know enough about what happened. We'll be tracking that and find out about that within a week."

The Kelowna Daily Courier reported that Beach, who plays for the Kelowna-based Okanagan Rockets of the British Columbia Major Midget League, could be facing a suspension of at least six games. If suspended it would be his second suspension of the season.

The incident occurred Friday in Okanagan's 4-1 loss to Notre Dame. Late in the game a fight broke out and during the melee, Beach allegedly pushed an official. The league was awaiting all the evidence before making a ruling.

Beach, who turned 16 on Friday, is a prodigiously talented player with a notoriously short fuse. A 6-foot-3, 190-pound power forward, he currently ranks fifth in the league in scoring with 17 goals and 15 assists in 19 games. But he's also accumulated 192 penalty minutes, by far the most in the league.

"I've never had a kid like him before," Rockets coach Ken Andrusiak told the Daily Courier. "I've had kids with the temper, I've had kids with the talent, but never both together.

"That kid has to grow up. But I don't know if it's possible."

When called up by Everett earlier this season, Beach was exceptional, compiling two goals, one assist and four penalty minutes in four games. He's expected to join Everett for the stretch run once his Midget season ends.

Top rankings: The NHL Central Scouting Bureau's midterm rankings for the 2006 NHL Draft are now out, and Silvertips find themselves plastered across the top of the list.

Everett has four players listed as potential first-round picks in this year's NHL Draft, which is open to players born before Sept. 15, 1988.

Center Peter Mueller was one of three Silvertip skaters rated as potential first rounders, being ranked fifth overall among North American Skaters and first among WHL skaters. Also considered possible first rounders are right wing Brady Calla (21st) and left wing Ondrej Fiala (24th). In addition, goaltender Leland Irving was ranked second among North American goaltenders.

Other Silvertips who were also ranked among North American skaters were defensemen Graham Potuer, considered a potential second-round pick at 36th, and defenseman Jonathan Harty, rated a possible fourth rounder at 105th.

Around the WHL: Everett moved up one spot to sixth in this week's Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association poll. Calgary took over the top spot, earning 10 of the 17 first-place votes. Medicine Hat, last week's No. 1, slipped to second, Kootenay moved up one spot to third. ... Vancouver took more than a loss on the scoreboard in Saturday's 4-2 defeat against Everett. Defenseman Mark Fistric, the team's captain, suffered a fracture in his ankle and is expected to be out a month. Fistric blocked a shot by Zach Hamill in the waning seconds of the first period and had to be assisted off the ice. He later returned during the second period, but was diagnosed with the injury after the game.

Tipped Off
01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
....is this quote from his coach:

"I've never had a kid like him before," Rockets coach Ken Andrusiak told the Daily Courier. "I've had kids with the temper, I've had kids with the talent, but never both together.

.......That is saying something right there. He could have just left it at, he needs to grow up, but to add the second part means he doesn;t think he is getting through to the kid at all. Maybe KC can, but then again, maybe not. We need a player with attitude, but we've all seen the games where the Tips can draw stupid penalties against the opponent because of "retaliation" or frustration. We don't need that to happen to us.

Beaner
01-18-2006, 02:03 PM
....is this quote from his coach:

.......That is saying something right there. He could have just left it at, he needs to grow up, but to add the second part means he doesn;t think he is getting through to the kid at all. Maybe KC can, but then again, maybe not. We need a player with attitude, but we've all seen the games where teams get stupid penalties against us because of "retaliation" or frustration. We don't need that.

Sounds a lot like Dustin Slade early in his carear.

However, as we have seen this year with Dustin, he has for the most part kept it under control this year.

KC will have a challenge on his hands next year, but only time will tell if he can get Beach under control.

Does anyone know if the WHL has a "respect other leagues" suspensions in place? If Beach gets suspended for a considerable time, rest of the year say, will he still be able to come up and play in the WHL, or will the WHL honour his suspension?

Tipped Off
01-18-2006, 02:18 PM
...I'd like to know the answer to that one myself...and then to define it. I mean, theoretically, would a "rest of season" suspension, be the the rest of this season period...on any level....or would it just be until his Midget team is eliminated from the playoffs?

FELIX17
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Beach should have probably been a top 5 pick in last year's draft, but because of his attitude and temper, he slipped to 10th. No question, he has talent, but can Constantine control him to help the team or will he hurt what the 'Tips have built over the last couple of years?

Jimmypop316
01-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I can see him get traded quick as pie if Constantine doesn't like his attitude when he's up with the Tips next year.

He sounds like he doesn't fit your sterotypical Silvertip team.

rinkrat
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Trade him to the Tigers,he'll fit in with Dorsett. ;)

Tipped Off
01-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Jan 20 2006
Beach awaits word, Rockets prep for Flames

The Okanagan Valley First Rockets will be without the services of Kyle Beach this weekend. And probably for a few weekends after that.
The 16-year-old forward, whose talent is only rivaled by his short fuse, is awaiting word on how long he’ll be suspended by the B.C. Amateur Hockey Association.
Beach was handed a gross misconduct for shoving a referee near the end of the Rockets game vs. Notre Dame last Friday during the Kelowna International Major Midget Tournament.
Similar incidents in the past have carried a minimum penalty of six games.
It was the latest in a series of flare-ups and subsequent ejections from games for the Everett Silvertips prospect this season.
The Rockets suspended the 6-foot-3 teenager for 10 days before Christmas for his on-ice transgressions. Beach leads the B.C. Major Midget League in penalty minutes this season with 192.
The BCAHA has studied the referee’s game report and plans to interview Beach before making a final decision on his fate.
Head coach Ken Andrusiak said the Rockets will wait for the BCAHA’s ruling on the situation before deciding if the team will take any disciplinary action of its own against Beach.
Meanwhile, the Rockets are doing their best to stay focused on the battle for playoff positions in the BCMML.
Okanagan will host the Southeast Flames in a crucial two-game set this weekend—Saturday at 3 p.m. and Sunday at 10 a.m. at the Capital News Centre.
The Rockets (12-6-6) are a point ahead of the Flames (12-7-5) for third spot in the league, and three back of the second-place Thompson Blazers.
Andrusiak said the Rockets are already preparing for a long stretch of hockey without Beach in the lineup.
“It might take us a little while to adjust our system without him, but we’ll get there,” said Rockets head coach Ken Andrusiak. “We’ve got a pretty good group of 19 guys to work with.”

Jovorock
01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I heard from someone that was there at the game and he said the ref was beaking at Beach the whole game. It doesn't excuse Kyle from pushing the ref, but this isn't very good. I hope this helps the kid and he gets back playing soon.

Consantine is a good coach and I hope he can calm him down and grow up a little. Kelowna Midget coach has a good reputation, but maybe Kyle is too young right now to get his act together.

Tipped Off
01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Beach gets six for shoving ref

Kyle Beach has been handed a six-game suspension by the B.C. Amateur Hockey Association.
The Okanagan Valley First Rockets forward and Everett Silvertips prospect was disciplined for shoving a referee near the end of a game at the Kelowna International Midget Hockey Tournament on Feb. 13.
Beach, 16, received a gross misconduct in a 4-1 Okanagan loss to Notre Dame and was ejected from the remainder of the tournament.
The 6-foot-3, 190-pound forward, who leads the B.C. Major Midget League in penalties with 192 minutes, has already served two games of the suspension. He will also miss the Rockets games this weekend against the Northeast Attack and on Feb. 4 and 5 vs. the North Island Pack in Kelowna.
As for what further action his midget team will take, if any, the Rockets are reserving their decision until after the league-imposed penalty ends.
“We’ll see what happens over the next couple of weeks before we decide anything,” said Rockets head coach Ken Andrusiak. “We want to do the right thing for everybody.”
This weekend, the Rockets (14-6-6) will travel to the Lower Mainland for two games against the first-place Attack (17-5-4).

Beaner
01-27-2006, 01:37 PM
6 games in a 36 game season is a fairly hefty suspension, be the same as a 12 game here in the dub. They have 10 games left so he should be back for the playoffs.

But now I guess we have to wait and see what the team may do for extra discipline.