PDA

View Full Version : Brodsky unhappy?

scamperdog
01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Brodsky: 'hate me, but support the kids'
Cougars president says players are worthy of larger crowd counts at CN Centre

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor www.princegeorgecitizen.com

Prince George Cougars owner Rick Brodsky has a message for those who may be avoiding CN Centre out of disdain for him — you can hate me all you want, but the players deserve the city's support.
In an interview with The Citizen on Wednesday evening, Brodsky broke a long silence about the attendance woes of the WHL club. The Cougars have the lowest crowd counts in the Western Conference, undercut only by small-market and small-building franchises such as the Prince Albert Raiders, Swift Current Broncos, Moose Jaw Warriors and Brandon Wheat Kings.

"You know, I'd like to get this message across — it's really not the money part that bothers me so much as it's the fact these kids and our staff are working so hard and yet the building is only half-full," said Brodsky, who moved the Cougars to Prince George from Victoria in 1994.

"I think the players who are here are proud to represent the city of Prince George. Forget about the money, and I can look anyone in the eye and mean it when I say it, forget about the money for a second. The players deserve more support, more people in the building cheering them on, than they've been getting. They absolutely deserve it. They have played their asses off. Can you imagine, we win three in a row on the road, tough, tough games, get seven points ahead of Kamloops, then 2,800 people come out to see the top team in the league? Hardly anybody there. I couldn't say much when we were at the bottom, and I'm not saying we're too far from the bottom now the way this division is, but we're nine games over .500, 16-6 at home, it's not like we're not giving them a pretty good product.

"We're not asking people to flog a dead horse. We have a team that is proud to represent them and is playing well."

Three times this season, the Cougars have set new lows for attendance at CN Centre, hitting the bottom in a Wednesday, Jan. 4 game against Kelowna when the announced crowd was 2,453 — under 2,500 for the first time. In reality, less than 2,000 people were in the building because a large number of season ticket holders and suite dwellers didn't show up.

The high-water mark for the season was, not surprisingly, Teddy Bear Toss night on Dec. 17 when 4,170 appeared. For the season, the Cougars are averaging 3,054 through 23 home dates. According to Brodsky, that's 25 per cent short of the team's break-even mark, which brings with it a projected loss of a half-million dollars.

"At one time our break-even was between 3,200 and 3,300 people per game," said Brodsky, who also owns the Wichita Falls Wildcats of the junior A North American Hockey League.

"Because we have not raised ticket prices for so long, the break-even is now 4,000 or just a bit under. One of the things that half drives me nuts is I get the feeling there are still people out there who think I'm making money at this. We haven't made money for quite some time. Now, I don't want to be a hypocrite, when times were good I wasn't going to tell anybody how much money we were making. When times are bad, I'd just as soon not tell them either, except I'd like people to get a little grasp on the size of the losses here.

"Best-case scenario for me is that people would be relatively well-informed what's going on. I'm not going to force anyone to do anything, but if they don't want to have major junior hockey — if there's 3,000 people going, there must be 75,000 staying away. That's too many people staying away. We've done just about everything the organization can think of to get more people in the building, and it's kind of a scary thing when you're playing pretty good and the attendance is going down, not up."

As a private corporation, the Cougars are not required to release profit-loss statements or even divulge the number of season tickets sold. But Brodsky said Wednesday that season ticket numbers have dropped to less than half what they were five or six years ago.

"At our best, we were in excess of 4,000 season tickets, and I would say now that we're somewhere between 1,500 and 1,700," said Brodsky.

"We're trying to double and re-double our efforts in the community. The other point is, you get a chance to see what kind of hockey team we have. I think we have a pretty good hockey team, and it's exciting, too, as far as hockey goes these days. When season ticket numbers go down you keep telling yourself that if you're competitive and put a good product on the ice, you'd be able to attract some walkup. We just haven't been. I mean, 2,400 on a Wednesday against Kelowna? We're playing pretty good and Kelowna's a rival and the defending champs..."

The danger in all this, of course, is that Brodsky's franchise is on pace for revenue totals that will allow the Cougars to enact the opt-out clause in the recently agreed-to lease for CN Centre. The three-year pact lets the club pay a penalty and leave the deal behind — and presumably leave the city behind.

"As we go here, the attendance is going down here, not up, and we were on target to miss it in the first place," said Brodsky.

"Now that attendance is going down more, we're going to miss the target by a bigger amount. For this year, we need to reach ticket revenue of $1.25 million. If we don't reach that on ticket revenue, from exhibition right through playoffs, then we have an opportunity to buy our way out of the lease.

"We can't make it on 3,000, just as simple as that. I have no intention on trying to make it on 3,000 for too long. The only incentive I'd have to move is that we're winning and no one is coming to the games."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jovorock
01-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I can see what Brodsky is saying, but he made the Coug fans pissed off for so long, now he has a bleeding heart? If he would of said this 3-5 years ago maybe the fans would do something. From what I of heard of the man is he would rather move the franchise than to sell it to another local person just to piss the fans off.

I don't know what will happen, hopefully the Cougar fans will maybe get the numbers up?

Sput
01-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Its a sad state right now. I heard a rumor that there is talk of having a town hall meeting of sorts with the public and Cougar brass there to get it all in the open and either kill the rumors and bring out the truth, or it might just throw gas on the fire.

I expect to see a decent number at the games this weekend, mostly because of Pogge, and it is minor hockey night Saturday. Hopefully the guys come out hard and at least have a good game, or win both, and some of these bandwagon fans/Brodsky haters will realize there IS good hockey beoing played by the home team now.

If it comes down to a move situation I hope the League will give PG the option that Tri-Cities got. Exhaust all options of a local buyer before they comcider moving the team. Maybe it will work then, and fans come back to the "Sea of Green" (the seats are gross green at CN Center). I hope the GM's of the rest of the teams will give the city another chance and not sell us out just because of the travel.

FELIX17
01-20-2006, 03:39 PM
What are the main issues with Brodsky? Why do so many people detest him? Please give some examples to fill us in on why no one wants to head out to the games.

Tinner
01-21-2006, 10:03 AM
I think its the old "take, take, take" and never give deal where now its switched to "the team needs help, help me" and the people are saying you took and never gave and now you want help.

Triton
01-21-2006, 11:27 AM
And when the team leaves PG the fans will be crying.Funny how when a team goes through the ups and downs as an organization fans are scarce.Then when the team needs fans to come out nobody responds,then when it's announced that the team is moving to another city..all the fans come out and sell the building out to say goodbye.Makes me sick.Whats a matter with people?

PG FANS GET YOUR ASSES TO THE GAME AND PUT YOUR PETTY DIFFERENCES ASIDE AND SUPPORT YOUR HOMETOWN COUGARS!LIKE THE SAYING...YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT TILL IT'S GONE.

Cougar Guy
01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
It is sad and it makes me physically ill just thinking about it. There are so many things that I think the Cougars could be doing to try and build the fan base back up, yet all I see is the same basic efforts. Their basic philosophy is one of "put a hockey team on the ice, win some games and people will come out".

They are totally missing the boat when it comes to marketing, customer relations, understanding who their market is, taking advantage of new customers (we have a university & college in town and housing starts are at record highs and they can't find new customers?), etc. They would appear to run this thing like a lemonade stand instead of a complex business and that is why I think they are having problems. There ARE other entertainment options in town and now that they are not the "new thing", people are spreading around their entertainment dollar and the Cougars have been unable to get it back. They took the fan base for granted IMHO and they have not demonstrated an ability to market their product and retain customers.

Just because it is hockey in Canada does not mean you can be simplistic in running your business, ESPECIALLY when the product has been horrible for many years (prior to this year) and when you have the customer relations problems that they do.

It's not the fans that read these message boards or go to the games that they have to get back . . . they are still going to the games. It's the fans that they have lost for various reasons that they need to take a look at. They don't even understand why they have lost them (as proven in the article . . . no Rick it's not because you aren't around to shake hands) AND they have not made any real attempt to get them back. To me that is a sign of a business that it completely out of touch with its market.

Ricobob
01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I think its the old "take, take, take" and never give deal where now its switched to "the team needs help, help me" and the people are saying you took and never gave and now you want help.

You're probably right Rebel. It seems that Brodsky is generally very arrogant towards a lot of people in the area. I might be wrong but after talking to some people from PG, that's the impression I got. You simply can't have that perception in a small city like PG. What local business and community people say about Hamilton in Kelowna and Sutter in Red Deer is likely a lot different to what people in PG say about Brodsky.

saskdevil
01-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Could this be the start of the rumor of a the being bought and moved to Edmonton??

Tinner
01-22-2006, 09:49 AM
No, I can't see Brodsky selling.......his daughter and her husband (GM Dallas) work for him. If he sold, what would they do?

saskdevil
01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
No, I can't see Brodsky selling.......his daughter and her husband (GM Dallas) work for him. If he sold, what would they do?

Maybe stop sponging off the family and get a job in the real world, where the regular joes reside. :D

Jovorock
01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
PG FANS GET YOUR ASSES TO THE GAME AND PUT YOUR PETTY DIFFERENCES ASIDE AND SUPPORT YOUR HOMETOWN COUGARS!LIKE THE SAYING...YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT TILL IT'S GONE.
During the good times in PG the fans spoke and Brodsky didn't reply and didn't care what they said. Now he crys in the paper and the Coug fans are suppose to listen to him? I'm not a Coug fan but I have listened to them for five years and I know more of their concerns than Brodsky does!

He didn't make much moves to ever win, he just tried to make money. Now the team isn't making money and he is now crying in the local paper, your five year late buddy.

You better worry about the Wheaties, because you don't know anything what the Cougar fans are thinking and have gone though!

Tinner
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
i heard a song that applies to Brodsky....its called "lets talk about me" by Toby Keith.

Sput
01-24-2006, 11:27 PM
You can't really pin it on one or two things around here. For years Rick had his fingers deep in how the team was run, and people said if he would step back and let the coaches coach ect ect things would be better. Now that he has another team (witchita Falls Wild cats in the USHL) and a home in Kelowna, people say that if he were here watching his business things would be better. The problem is it is the same people saying both things. Many people don't respect Brodsky as a businessman, so he hires his daughter, who HAS a business degree, to run the team. People aren't happy. He hires his son inlaw as GM, with no experience, who in my opinion hasn't done to bad of a job, people aren't happy. Once he finally got around to firing Dempsey, a coach with no systems, and no playbook, he listens to 'the people' and hires a coach with systems, who on paper should have lead this team to the playoffs, instead hockey got so complicated that none of the players knew what the hell they were supposed to be doing on the ice. If memory serves me correctly it was Dallas who got pissed with Lambert for looking to an AHL job, and dumped his contract, and pushed to hire Vandekamp (who he wanted to hire in the first place, but Rick said no).

Yes there are things that can be improved, but at what cost untill the fans do start to come back? Will give aways and gimmicks during the intermissions make that big a difference? I heard sooooo many "hockey fans" around the rink last year that said if the team were 500 or better come Christmas 2005, they would start coming back to games. Well where are they now? On a good night PG used to put 6000-8000 butts in the seats between the Cougars and Spruce Kings. Now we are lucky if it is 4000 betwwen the two. So far the public outcry has been all focused on the Cougars, but the Kings aren't winning, made a bunch of wholesale trades at the deadline, dumped the best business manager they ever had (he did more for the team and the community than any of his predecessors), cut all the game night promos, and affectivly fired their volunteer "cheerleader" squad. So far it seems I'm the only one that has really noticed all these goings on, but thats different. The Kings are the "community owned" team, so I guess that makes it all OK.

Tinner
01-25-2006, 07:49 AM
All credit to the coaching staff and players for doing their part.

Prince George is 27-18, Red Deer is 12-32. We are sold out effectively every game. The economy in Red Deer is hot, there are 4 junior teams within a 35 mile radius, and numerous senior/midget teams in the same area. Population is close to the same as PG..........so what is causing the fans to stay away?