PDA

View Full Version : Blazers 5 @ Giants 4 (SO) Jan 20th

Beaner
01-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Well, not a very good effort tonight from the Giants in a 5-4 Shoot-out loss to the Blazers tonight. Giants looked tentative all night, and had a hard time getting their forecheck going, as well as with their defensive zone coverage. The 1st period felt more like a game of pond hockey with a total shots of 3-6 in favour of the Blazers but both teams manged to get it going a bit better, in the 2nd and 3rd periods. A tie was probably the right out-come for this game as neither team really dominated or out-worked the other. There was some very nice hits tonight, Bartley just crushed a Blazer at the Blazer blue line, missed who he caught, but he was definatley shaken up. Not sure if the Blazer returned after that hit as he looked dazed on the bench.

Brule did make his return to the WHL tonight, and played better as the game went on, but he definatley looked rusty out there. The third period was his best period by far. Regner made his debut as well tonight, and I thought played allright in very limited ice time, stepping in for the injured Fistric and Mikkelson. I dont think Regner saw the ice after the 2nd period.

NOTES
Slade and Dubnyk got the starts tonight
Mikkelson (knee), Scharff (Shoulder), Fistric (Ankle), Hunt were the Giants scratches.
Regner made his debut for the Giants tonight wearing #4, 0 points,0+/-
Linesman Zenon Chichak left the game after the 2nd period after getting injured and did not return, leaving the third to be called by 2 officials. Not sure what knocked him out of the game.
Shots were 30-26 for the Giants
PP, 2/5 Giants, Blazers 1/5

GOALS
1. VAN Kraus, (21) (Franson), 10:07 (PP) Franson fires a shot from the point towards the net, that Kraus deflects past Dubnyk.
1. KAM Eisenkirch, (2) (Jorgensen, Hayman), 13:48 After taking a big hit on the end boards, Eisenkirch is let go by his man, Jorgensen spots him on the opposite side and fires a pass over to him all alone, and he puts it in.
2. KAM Rome, (21) (Hayman), 3:41 More defensive breakdowns as the puck goes across the slot to Hayman, everyone moves to cover, he passes back across the slot to Rome who puts it home.
2. VAN Bartley, (21) (Kraus, Repik), 5:51 (PP) Bartley is left all alone in the slot, and Kraus spots him, fires the pass and Bartley rips it into the net.
2. KAM Macias, (9) (Stretch, Kassian), 9:27 Macias from behind the net throws the puck off the back of Slades leg right into the net. Slade may have actually kicked this one in trying to avoid it.
2. VAN Lamb, (20) (Czibere, Machacek), 18:43 Czibre breaks into the Blazers zone, Fires the shot, big rebound that comes out to Lamb and he buries it.
3. VAN Brule, (1) (Bartley, Franson), 0:36Shot from the point with a lot of traffic in front of the net, and Brule manages to get a stick on the puck and deflect it into the open cage.
3. KAM Eisenkirch, (3) (Nixon), 11:40 (PP) Eisenkirch all alone at the blue paint, gets a rebound from the Nixon shot, and he tucks it home.

SHOOT-OUT
Kamloops
#1 Reid Jorgensen No Goal Goes for a shot close in that Slade manages to get enough of and deflects it to the corner.
#2 Brock Nixon No Goal I think he tried to go five hole but Slade got the save.
#3 Ashton Rome Goal Goal top shelf stick side. WINNER.
Vancouver
#1Tim Kraus No Goal Dekes to the glove side, and rings it off the post.
#2 Gilbert Brule No Goal Dekes stick side, save Dubnyk as the puck hits the goal mesh.
#3 Michal Repik No Goal Dekes stick side, save with the pad Dubnyk.

FISTICUFFS
None.

OFFICIATING
Matsouka got he call tonight and I think he did a good job. A lot of work for him and Murchison in the third as they lost the 2nd linesman. Matsouka missed some high sticks in the third, but for the most part a pretty good job.

Dumb penalty of the Night Award
Goes to Slade tonight for the WWE wrestling match he created tonight. Theres a big goal mouth scramble, some pushing and shoving after the whistle, Kassian comes in late, give Slade a wack, then Slade grabs onto Kassians leg for dear life, dragging him down to the ice. It progressed from there, but Slade ends up getting 4 for roughing, Kassian 2 for Slashing and 2 for Roughing, Franson 2 for Roughing. Leads to the tie goal for Kamloops. Dustin your lucky Mat didnt get loose and beat the you know what out of you.

OVERALL
Well, not a great effort from the Giants tonight, but not a bad one either. Giants are going to have to improve the defensive zone coverage and quick. I thought the Team overall was trying to be too fancy all night long, they didnt seem to want to dump the puck into the zone and then go get it. Kamloops played well, but I think they could have done better tonight as well, both teams seemed to be a little off-kilter tonight.

No real line combinations tonight as it seemed everyone played with everyone tonight as Don really juggled the lines up all night long, trying to get someone to work. Lucic and Machacek I thought were the best Giants as they just kept doing what had brought them success all year, and they got some really good chances to score but just couldn't finish.

I saw a lot of people looking for Brule when he was out there, the guys are just going to have to learn that they dont need to get Brule the puck, the puck will find him. Just keep doing what you were doing before, it worked well, and Brule will just add to that.

3 Stars
1. KAM - 30 Devan Dubnyk
2. VAN - 17 Gilbert Brule
3. KAM - 32 Joel Eisenkirch

Ok Eisenkirch sure, but Brule and Dubnyk? Who Picked these stars tonight? Dubnyk and Brule were hardly the best players out on the ice tonight.

rinkrat
01-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Good job again Beaner...
Let me add my two cents.
Mason was the player that Bartley hit with the open ice check,I don't know if he returned??
Linesman Chichak had a face injury.He was writhing in pain along the boards for a while and play continued,I don't think Matsouka even noticed.He was holding his jaw area after play stopped.
On the Repik shootout,it looked like he had a wide open cage and missed,but he deked to your side of the rink,so you had the better angle!
I thought ref Matsouka did a poor job.It wasn't one sided,just missed alot of calls,which is better than too many calls I guess...

I tracked some of the line combos,here are some.

!st period

27 17 15
11 20 19
13 20 26
13 20 15
27 17 26

2nd period

13 12 11
19 17 26
15 20 27
10 18 9
13 9 11

lost track in the 3rd...lol

Beaner
01-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Yeah Repik did have a lot of net, but he couldn't get the puck up and over the pad of Dubnyk. Hit the top of the leg pad. Another inch and its in.

Yeah Matsouka did let a lot go, and the third I think he just missed a lot of stuff, as he had too much to watch as he had to play Linesman as well.

It was definatley a jaw injury but I have no idea what happened to Chichak to cause it. Did he maybe get hit with a stick?

Nice work on the line combos. Don was sure shaking them up tonight.

Biscuit
01-21-2006, 02:15 AM
0-3 without TNT's vocals from the bench. Give him a suit and make him an assistant to the assistant.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Hated the game. The Giants were outworked and outsmarted. No forecheck. Not much agression. And too many Chinese firedrills in their own end. Too much of a gap between the forwards and the defence. And all 4 Blazer goals scored from the Fistric Zone. Bartley was great. Brule was quite good, all things considered. The forwards had better be much more prepared to help the defense down low until Fisty gets back or this train might come off the rails. Expecting someting a whole lot better tonight in Everett.

Beaner
01-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Hated the game. The Giants were outworked and outsmarted. No forecheck. Not much agression. And too many Chinese firedrills in their own end. Too much of a gap between the forwards and the defence. And all 4 Blazer goals scored from the Fistric Zone. Bartley was great. Brule was quite good, all things considered. The forwards had better be much more prepared to help the defense down low until Fisty gets back or this train might come off the rails. Expecting someting a whole lot better tonight in Everett.

Much better put then the way I put it. I agree fully with your statements.

If anyone is watching online tonight Ill be in the chat room.