PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer/Prince Albert

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 12:12 AM
A much better effort tonight, but unfortunately the same result. Started off with some excitement, with Knackstedt and Byers squaring off at center ice, and suprisingly Knackstedt totally thumped him. Lepp looked good in net, capturing the second star in the game. Very unusual goalie, twice he threw the puck with his trapper, like a baseball, can't say I have ever seen that before. Was impressed with Luke Egener tonight too, he combined some jumping into the play and generating some offense, like last game, but unlike last game his defensive play was superb. The only noticeably poor player out there tonight was Dane Byers. He got totally destroyed in the fight at the opening faceoff, and played the rest of the game like he had a concussion (which he may have)

mapletoft
01-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Like I have been saying Luke Egener has a great upside to his game, better than Berube. Do you ever see Berube have a good game in which he can make breakout passes with a man within 12 feet of him? If you think Egener has defensive problems against the Hat - did you observe Berubes brutal game? His giveaway which led to a goal? I am hoping and think Berube will improve, he is a great kid, coachable and all, just struggling with adjusting to Red Deer's game plan. Versteeg carries the puck well and I am sure is struggling to fit in with this team. Who isn't? This is not the Brent Sutter type team that we are accustomed to seeing because....IT IS a rebuilding year.

It is nice to see you give Egener some praise, thank-you! It has been difficult watching these guys but as fans we gotta loook at the positives instead of constantly looking for negatives. I want to see Berube be a positive - he has matured somewhat over the last while with still a lot left to go.

Some of my positves this year without a long explanation:
1. Lamoureux - kid has heart, less giveaways this year.
2. Brandon Sutter - great surprise as a 16 year old, keeps proving to me and others he deserves the icetime he has been getting.
3. Reimer - learning the game at the WHL level, Lepp will help him!
4. Mihalik - slow start in adjusting to this league and team, and see him as Chara in the future.
5. Cline - hard worker, good moves, look out next year.
6. Sutter has made some good trades the results of which we may even see more next year.
7. Guame and Wallin - great teachers of the game!

Go Rebels!

Mapletoft out!

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Like I have been saying Luke Egener has a great upside to his game, better than Berube. Do you ever see Berube have a good game in which he can make breakout passes with a man within 12 feet of him? If you think Egener has defensive problems against the Hat - did you observe Berubes brutal game? His giveaway which led to a goal?I have seen Berube have good games where he both makes breakout passes, as well as carry the puck out of the zone. Berube's problems in the Medicine Hat game were mainly attributed to his defensive partner. The play in question came about as a result of Mihalik's confusing play where for some reason he threw the puck back behind the net, where Berube was starting to leave to join the rush, which never happened of course, because he sent the puck back behind the net. Berube scrambled back and tried to recover, but was unable to. I can't fault him on that one, if I had one of the opposing team's players on his knees behind the net, and all the forwards of my team were streaking up ice, I wouldn't expect my defensive partner to throw the puck back behind the net. There were however other times in the game where I thought Berube was really fighting the puck, probably the worst game he has had this season. Right now I still think Berube has a higher overall skill level and has bettter foot speed and positioning, but Egener has been really been outworking most of the other Rebel blueliners the last few games.

Tinner
01-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Why are we having trouble scoring goals? I'll tell you what I think. The boys are so determined to make the defensive system work that they can't play offensively because of it. Everyone is scared to make a mistake because they'll get yelled at, sit or get the worst of any interviews that are done. Sure, we don't give up many goals, but we can't score either. Maybe its time to change the system, go offense and play defense second. Maybe the guys will respond to that style of play. Lets win a few games 10 - 8 and see how the fans and players like it. It would certainly make the games more fun and interesting to watch.

Rebel66
01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Everyone is scared to make a mistake because they'll get yelled at, sit or get the worst of any interviews that are done. Sure, we don't give up many goals, but we can't score either.

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night while listening to Sutter going on about scoring two or less goals in 30 odd games this season. It went through my mind that the boys are so scared of making a mistake, and the repercussions that causes with Sutter, that they take the easy route every time and many offensive chances go begging. With all due respect Mr. Sutter cannot have it both ways....

RDRebelsfan
01-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Why are we having trouble scoring goals? I'll tell you what I think. The boys are so determined to make the defensive system work that they can't play offensively because of it. Everyone is scared to make a mistake because they'll get yelled at, sit or get the worst of any interviews that are done. Sure, we don't give up many goals, but we can't score either. Maybe its time to change the system, go offense and play defense second. Maybe the guys will respond to that style of play. Lets win a few games 10 - 8 and see how the fans and players like it. It would certainly make the games more fun and interesting to watch.

yep, may be time for a change in playing style...I'm sure a lot of us would rather see them start winning more....even if it meant a bunch of 6-5, 5-3 games instead of losing 2-1.

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 02:47 PM
The boys are so determined to make the defensive system work that they can't play offensively because of it. I think you hit the nail right on the head. Look at Frere, the guy is so scared to make a mistake that will directly lead to a goal, that he ices the puck the second his stick touches it, even if the other team is in the middle of a line change.

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
mihilak a future chara..come onHis size, speed, and overall skill level is identical to what Chara's was when he was in the WHL (And Chara was overage when he played here, Mihalik is 18), his physical appearance is even similar to Chara's at that age. Chara was.... nothing spectacular in the WHL 20 points and a minus player as I recall. I have to agree with you, he is no Chara--I think Mihalik will be BETTER than Chara.

Hatguy
01-22-2006, 04:50 PM
"3. Reimer - learning the game at the WHL level, Lepp will help him!"
Lepp will help you do nothing but lose more games. (Same situation that Moose Jaw went through last year) I thought he was going to help our terrible team last year, but he let in weak goal after weak goal. Lepp is a waste of a 20 year old. Lepp didn't have a good record with Kelowna, Seattle or Moose Jaw, maybe the Rebels have a good defence. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Lepp will help you, he certainly hasn't helped any other team he has played with.
Leslie played a solid game on Friday against Swift Current, letting in one goal on 24 shots, it was deflected off of a defencemen's stick
What do Rebels fans think of Lepp so far?

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 05:11 PM
"3. Reimer - learning the game at the WHL level, Lepp will help him!"
Lepp will help you do nothing but lose more games. (Same situation that Moose Jaw went through last year) I thought he was going to help our terrible team last year, but he let in weak goal after weak goal. Lepp is a waste of a 20 year old. Lepp didn't have a good record with Kelowna, Seattle or Moose Jaw, maybe the Rebels have a good defence. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Lepp will help you, he certainly hasn't helped any other team he has played with.Reimer has learned as much by now as any goalie can possibly learn by watching, he just needs more experience now. Lepp is here because he is the best goaltender we could get for our 3-25 19 year old goaltender Leslie. He is here to do little more than give Reimer a rest now and again down the stretch.

Leslie played a solid game on Friday against Swift Current, letting in one goal on 24 shots, it was deflected off of a defencemen's stickHe should do ok there as long as the other team doesn't figure out that dumping the puck in from outside the blueline, or sending a weak backhander from the point in on him is pretty much a a sure goal every time.

What do Rebels fans think of Lepp so far?He flashed the glove a few times, stopped every goal that he could be expected to, only allowed a penalty shot goal (which it looked like he got a good piece of), and a goal where our defenseman (yes, we only had one out there) hung him out to dry. He was named the second star in the game. I did notice on 2 occasions the ref told him to move the puck, and instead of playing it with his stick, he threw it right out of his trapper, overhand like a baseball into the corner, thought that was a little unusual, but aside from that he looked ok, he at least gave the skaters on the team a chance to win the game.

Rebels30
01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
IMO Lepp was really good last night... :clap: ..i hope he keeps playing like he did :)

3rebels
01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I keep thinking that Reimer looks as good as Cam Ward did at the same age. Ward had a VERY GOOD D-Corp in front of him. Lepp looked very Comfortable last night and I dig the baseball throw. You don't know where the puck is going, Eggy looks good, Berube WILL improve and Mihalik has to get his body into sync, It looks like he grew to fast and hasn't adjusted everything into a flow yet. Yes, Leslie had a good game and I think he will do well in Moose Jawbone. Taking second fiddle to a younger goalie has to hurt the OL' ego. So new surroundings and a tame on the up should bode well for him. I am not in the least upset with Lepp nor Henry. It does bother me that Versteeg is suddenly the smallest D-man (A featherweight) and seems to get caught behind the big guys, which has cost us a few too many penaltie. Overall, I think we have a very good crew for next year.
AND YES. GO REBELS GO ! :groovy:

charlie
01-22-2006, 10:08 PM
lepp was ok last night but it was his lousy clearing attempt from behind the net that led to the winning goal. that was a giveaway...pure and simple...no different than if a dman had done it...and he was still out of position when the puck was shot back to the net which is why the goal went in so easily. you guys can ***** about the defence at will, you do anyway but it was goaltending that cost both those games this weekend.

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2006, 11:19 PM
you guys can ***** about the defence at will, you do anyway but it was goaltending that cost both those games this weekend.There was nothing wrong with Reimer's performance on Friday, we only had 1 defenseman on the ice for 3 of the goals, and the Medicine Hat players were all alone in some way or another on all 3 of those goals. Lepp's clearing attempt wasn't bad so much as it just took a bad bounce, and there isn't too many goalies who could be 'in position' for a forward cutting around the front of the net and across the crease full steam unchecked like that, and even then he didn't get beat by much.

hockey4
01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
why would sutter change the system, its been working for 6 years. Because we are young we should change it. it aint gonna happen. So when we get good next year that means were gonna have all these players playing an offensively minded game which will costy us games. Even if he really did want to change the system, we dont have enough offensively minded older players to step up and show the way. By us scoring 6 goals would mean we would have to put every effort we had in to just scoring goals, meaning we would likely let in 10. Our game plan is fine the way it is