PDA

View Full Version : Giants Whip up on Tips

Tipped Off
01-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Posted : : 01/22/2006
Giants Overcome Silvertips
Everett Falls 3-1
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - The Vancouver Giants toppled the Everett Silvertips in tonight's hockey game by a final score of 3-1. This was the fifth meeting of six and Everett leads the series 3-2. The Silvertips stand tall in the US Division, holding down first place with 57 points and a 27-16-2-1 record. Vancouver, second in the BC Division, rests at 30-12-0-5 and 65 points.

After a scoreless opening period Cody Franson got the ball rolling with a short-handed goal at 3:41 of the second. John Lammers tied it up three minutes later on a power play when he caught a rebound Dustin Slade deflected right to him. Zach Hamill and Ondrej Fiala earned the helpers. Vancouver didn't stop there and Gilbert Brule nailed the coffin shut with his two tallies in the third session. The first came at forty seconds followed by one at 13:26. Milan Lucic, Cody Franson, Spencer Machacek and Paul Albers posted the assists on the Giants' last two goals.

Leland Irving kept his team close by stopping 27 of 30 shots but it wasn't enough for the win. He falls to 24-14-1-1. Dustin Slade, the opposition, turned away 21 shots out of 22 and boosts his goaltending history to 24-8-0-5. On the power play both sides had five chances but only the Silvertips could convert on one. Vancouver out shot Everett 30-22.

The Everett Silvertips are back home on Wednesday, January 25th, where they will once again battle against the Seattle Thunderbirds. Don't miss the action; it all starts at 7:05pm.

Silvertips Box Scores

John Lammers (24) 1 G
Zach Hamill 1 A
Ondrej Fiala 1 A
Leland Irving (24-14-1-1): 27/30 saves
Power Play: Everett 1/5, Vancouver 0/5
Shots on Goal: Everett 22, Vancouver 30
Attendance: 7,336

3 Stars of the Game

1. Gilbert Brule (VAN)
2. John Lammers (EVT)
3. Cody Franson (VAN)

Tipped Off
01-22-2006, 12:27 AM
The Giants, who've outworked the Tips in 4 of the 5 matchups this season, got through for the win. The Tips looked slow and tired again tonight. They didn't deserve a better fate than they got. I'll be shocked if Coach K doesn't send in the tape of Lucic's hit on Mueller. The Tips announcers went berzerk over that one and on the post game show said the Giants announcers were as shocked as they were over the no-call by Smith...who did his typical poor job. From my persepctive in my seat, I was one of the few not booing after the it. I didn't think it was a cheap hit (checking from behind) in person. I'll have to watch it again through the miricle of the archived games..lol. Officiating had nothing to do with this loss. The Giants were the better team on the Ice. As for the fight, both guys knew it was coming and Watt pounded Ellington. In fact, Watt had to put Ice on his hand in the box because Ellington hurt it with his face.

Good recap of the game from "Beaner" on the Vancouver Forum here: http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=5212

Tipped Off
01-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Brule's return sinks Tips
Vancouver phenom scores twice to lead Giants to win

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Friday night Gilbert Brule put on an exhibition of just what the Western Hockey League had been missing.

In his second game back from the NHL, Brule scored two goals, including a fantastic move on the game-winner, leading the Vancouver Giants to a 3-1 victory over the Everett Silvertips.

"He's a good player," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said of Brule. "That's why he was drafted where he was and that's why he spent time in the NHL. He had some key things that he did tonight."

Before an Everett Events Center crowd of 7,336, Brule broke a 1-1 tie 40 seconds into the third period with an NHL-caliber goal. He skated into the zone, undressed Everett defenseman Jason Fransoo with a move, then rifled a shot past goaltender Leland Irving and into the top corner. He later added an insurance goal.

"I just got a feed from (Milan) Lucic and I had some speed going, so I tried to beat the guy," Brule said of his game-winner. "I got lucky getting the puck through him, got around and went upstairs on the goalie."

John Lammers scored for Everett (27-16-2-1) - his eighth goal in five games against the Giants this season - but the Tips couldn't find any other way around Vancouver goaltender Dustin Slade, who made a series of saves from point-blank range. Slade finished with 22 stops.

"He played pretty good tonight," Lammers said of Slade. "He's a good goalie. I think we could have worked a little harder, but we tried pretty hard and he came up with a good night."

Irving made 27 saves in goal for the Tips.

Vancouver improved to 30-12-0-5.

Everett suffered what could be a devastating blow in the second period when center Peter Mueller suffered a concussion after a vicious hit into the boards by Lucic.

"That was the hardest angle to see from our bench, but from all indications it was a charge," Constantine said about Lucic's hit, on which no penalty was called. "I just think we get so many guys injured in this league, I really wish we'd protect our players more by calling the rules."

Brule, selected sixth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in last year's NHL Draft, was brought straight up to the NHL as an 18-year-old. However, a cracked sternum and broken leg limited him to seven games with Columbus, and the Blue Jackets decided to return him to Vancouver last week.

Brule scored once, but was still rusty in his first game back, Friday's 5-4 shootout loss against Kamloops. The Tips kept him contained in the first two periods, but couldn't stop him in the third. His second goal came with 6:34 remaining, redirecting the puck in at the far post after a two-on-one feed from Spencer Machacek.

"I think (Friday) night against Kamloops I was just trying to get a feel for things again," Brule said. "I think tonight was a big boost for my confidence, having not played in a while."

There were no goals in the first period. Vancouver out-shot Everett 12-9, but Everett had the best scoring chances, with Slade making big saves on Mueller, Lammers and Zack Dailey.

Vancouver then took the lead with a short-handed goal 3:41 into the second period. Franson intercepted a Zach Hamill cross-ice pass and broke away three-on-one. Franson skated into the zone on the left, took the shot himself and found the far corner to give the Giants the lead.

Everett tied it up 2:39 later on the power play. Hamill's shot from a tight angle on the left rebounded out to Lammers on the right. Lammers collected the puck and scored, tying the score at 1-1.

Slap shots: Everett captain Torrie Wheat sat out Saturday's game with a leg injury he suffered in Friday's 3-2 shootout loss to Seattle while blocking a shot. His loss was offset by the return of Brady Calla, who was rested Friday after returning from the CHL Top Prospects Game. ... Vancouver also played without its captain, defenseman Mark Fistric, who has a broken ankle. The Giants were also without defenseman Brendan Mikkelson because of a knee injury.

At Everett Events Center

Vancouver 0 1 2 - 3

Everett 0 1 0 - 1

First Period-No goals. Penalties-Mueller, Everett (checking from behind), 0:42; Flatters, Vancouver (unsportsmanlike conduct), 10:59; Sonne, Everett (roughing), 10:59; Watt, Vancouver (roughing-fighting), 14:08; Ellington, Everett (roughing-fighting), 14:08; Bliznak, Vancouver (boarding), 14:58; Thoring, Everett (slashing), 19:55.

Second Period-1, Vancouver, Franson 10, 3:41 (sh). 2, Everett, Lammers 24 (Hamill, Fiala), 6:20 (pp). Penalties-Kraus, Vancouver (slashing), 1:52; Watt, Vancouver (interference), 4:54; Fransoo, Everett (tripping), 10:21; Harty, Everett (roughing), 14:10; Czibere, Vancouver (slashing), 16:50.

Third Period-3, Vancouver, Brule 2 (Lucic, Franson), 0:40. 4, Vancouver, Brule 3 (Machacek, Albers), 13:26. Penalties-Hamill, Everett (hooking), 6:33, Franson, Vancouver (delay of game), 13:32.

Shots on goal-Vancouver 12-11-7-30. Everett 9-8-5-22. Power-play opportunities-Vancouver 0 of 5. Everett 1 of 5.

Goalies-Vancouver, Slade 24-8-0-5 (22 shots, 21 saves). Everett, Irving 24-14-1-1 (30 shots, 27 saves).

Tipped Off
01-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Silvertips tripped by Giants phenom
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

EVERETT — Gilbert Brule showed why he belongs in the National Hockey League.

Brule scored two goals in the third period to lift the Vancouver Giants to a 3-1 win over the Everett Silvertips.

While Brule showed off the skill that made him the sixth pick overall in the 2005 NHL draft, the Silvertips lost their most talented player when Peter Mueller was checked from behind and suffered a concussion.

The hit by Milan Luckc in the second period did not draw a penalty from referee Pat Smith, and Mueller was finished for at least the remainder of the game.

Brule, 18, scored a pair of goals in seven games for the Columbus Blue Jackets at the start of the season before suffering a fractured sternum. He later broke his leg before being reassigned to the Giants last week.

It was only the second game back in the WHL for Brule, and he already has three goals.

His first score Saturday was a highlight-reel goal 40 seconds into the third period that broke a 1-1 tie.

Brule took the puck just inside the blue line, skated around a defender and fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net. He then made it 3-1 when he tapped in a goal after a perfect pass from Paul Albers.

John Lammers scored the only goal for Everett as Vancouver goaltender Dustin Slade stopped 21 of 22 shots to hand the Silvertips (27-16-2-1) their second straight loss.

Lammers, who grew up playing against Brule near Vancouver, was as impressed as the rest of the crowd of 7,336 at the Everett Events Center.

"He's an NHL-caliber player, and he'd still be there if he hadn't gotten hurt," Lammers said. "He makes the difference in the game. Good players make good plays, and that's just something he does."

Everett coach Kevin Constantine admitted he didn't see the hit on Mueller clearly from the bench.

"From all indications it was charging," he said. "We get so many guys injured in our league, you hate to see our players not protected more."

GIANTS 3, SILVERTIPS 1

Vancouver 0 1 2 — 3
Everett 0 1 0 — 1
Second — 1. Vancouver Franson 10 (un) 3:41 (sh). 2. Everett Lammers 24 (Hamill, Fiala) 6:20 (pp). Third — 3. Vancouver Brule 2 (Lucic, Franson) :40. 4. Vancouver Brule 3 (Macharek, Albers) 13:26. Shots on goal — Vancouver 12-11-7 — 30. Everett 9-8-5 — 22. Power plays — Vancouver 0-5, Everett 1-5. Goaltenders — Vancouver: Slade (W,24-8). Everett: Irving (L,24-14). Att — 7,336.

ihlemic10
01-24-2006, 02:48 PM
The whl site says Undetermined Head injury for Mueller. Still was a nasty hit on him, should be a suspension for it. Hopefully he will be back soon, we need him to boost the team.

Beaner
01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
The whl site says Undetermined Head injury for Mueller. Still was a nasty hit on him, should be a suspension for it. Hopefully he will be back soon, we need him to boost the team.

I believe any suspected Concussion is an automatic sit for 7 days, mainly for the players health, until they have a full evaluation from the Medical Staff. I'm not 100% sure on that but I'm pretty sure that's what they do in the WHL, just like they do in the NHL.

Still nothing on the WHL site saying Lucic has been suspended, considerig it was Saturday night that it happened, and it's after 3pm Calgary time, I don't think anything is coming down from the league office.

Vancouver Radio should have a preview soon for the game tonight, I'm sure we will hear soon if he has indeed been suspended or not.

Tipped Off
01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
after watching the reply many, many times...I have to say it's inconclusive at best. If I were a governing body I would say, based on the information I've seen, no suspension should be warranted. To me it look slike Mueller turned away.

rinkrat
01-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Vancouver Radio should have a preview soon for the game tonight, I'm sure we will hear soon if he has indeed been suspended or not.

Bill Wilms was supposed to do the update on the Blake Price show,but opted out for the golf course... :spineyes:

Beaner
01-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Joey Kenward was on the Mojo show and did not mention it, and since there is still nothing up on the WHL site, I am assuming no suspension.

I agree Tipped Off, inconclusive is probably the league decision.

Beaner
01-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Lucic is playing tonight for the Giants vs. the Americans.

Tipped Off
01-25-2006, 12:30 AM
thanks for the updates guys, way to keep the information flowing. I think no suspension is the best way to go. I'm a firm believer that you only suspend guys for very obvious stuff. If you start suspending guys everytime someone gets hurt, you'l start having a product where guys are afraid to play "their" game. Kind of like the NHL this year.

Stay-Puft
01-29-2006, 03:30 PM
The local talk radio here in Tri said that KC didn't even send the tape in to the league. Kind of interesting, IMO.

Beaner
01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Interesting, maybe he felt when he watched it on tape it was too close to call.