PDA

View Full Version : raiders bantam draft 2006

Dwight Schrute
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
safe to say we will be picking top 10 (hopefully not top 5). do you guys think they would try to go for the kid from prince albert ?

1. Jared Cowan, Sask. Contacts Midget AAA
2. Ryan Howse, Prince George Bantam AAA
3. Scott Ramsey, Abbotsford Bantam AAA
4. Cole Penner, Medicine Hat Bantam AAA
5. Collin Bowman, N. Shore Winter Club Bantam AAA
6. Shane Harle, North Shore Winter Club Bantam AAA
7. Brodie Melnychuk, Notre Dame AAA
8. Jeff Regier, Abbotsford AAA
9. Linden Vey, Naicam AA
10. Brant Henry, Norton Prince Albert Pirates Bantam

Top Ten as rated by the International Scouting Service

Drop em' eh
01-29-2006, 09:43 PM
Let's hope they are able to draft some future goal scorers as it is apparent that is what is lacking this year, although that won't help us for about two years from now.

:spineyes:

Triton
01-29-2006, 09:46 PM
You'd be better off taking Vey instead of the kid from P.A.

Dwight Schrute
01-30-2006, 12:00 AM
You'd be better off taking Vey instead of the kid from P.A.
what does one have over the other ? i have never seen either play

Triton
01-30-2006, 10:55 AM
what does one have over the other ? i have never seen either play

The both skate very well.Vey has better game sense,and is a sniper.Vey has good passing and skating skills and backchecks helping out in the defensive zone.Norton does play the body more,but upon playing the body,sometimes finds himself out of the play or turning the puck over.Although both are having good seasons with their respected teams,Vey does lead the league in scoring by a ton.As for size..I'm not sure what they weight in at or how tall they are.

Triton
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Vey has 42 goals and 40 assists in 20 games (first in the league) for Naicam who is 11-7-2 good for 6th place.Brant Henry-Norton has 15 goals and 25 assists and 61 PIM in 18 games played for the 2nd place Pirates.

Triton
01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
(im a little bitter today....lol)

Understandably so.Anholt I think,will be gone if the Raiders miss the playoffs..and for some,they hope they miss the playoffs so he will be canned.What are your opinions regarding the status of the coaching staff?

I sit not too far from the Raiders bench,and Anholts methods of motivating his players are wrong.Kicking your players in the a$$ and yelling at them telling them that their all crap,that is no way to get respect from your players.Putting fear into your players does not work I'm sorry.No wonder they don't want to play for you Anholt..they are only playing for the fans..they could now care less about you Peter.Putting them down in the paper doesn't help either.Just my opinion.

Zookeeper
01-30-2006, 04:08 PM
I agree with you, whatever he is doing is not working. Something must be done. We need to start scoring some goals. With all of the talent we have, we should be scoring goals.

Dwight Schrute
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Vey has 42 goals and 40 assists in 20 games (first in the league) for Naicam who is 11-7-2 good for 6th place.Brant Henry-Norton has 15 goals and 25 assists and 61 PIM in 18 games played for the 2nd place Pirates.
isnt vey playing bantam aa not aaa ? what about henry-norton ? is he in aa or aaa ?
that could explain the stats being differant

Triton
01-30-2006, 04:16 PM
isnt vey playing bantam aa not aaa ? what about henry-norton ? is he in aa or aaa ?
that could explain the stats being differant

Same league.Not sure if it's AA or AAA.If anyone knows please post what league?

FELIX17
01-31-2006, 06:41 AM
They both play in the Centre Four League, Bantam 'AA'.

Dwight Schrute
01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
They both play in the Centre Four League, Bantam 'AA'.
hmmm you'd think these kids are ranked top ten for the bantam draft why wouldnt they be playing aaa ?, another kid i heard is flying under the radar is playing for beardy's as a 14 year old jorden iron 30games 6goals 11assists and 17 points. he started off slow but has been coming along. might make a great mid round steal

Sabes
03-19-2006, 11:14 PM
this is the newest Top 10 and since we get a top 5 pick

3. Cole Penner, Medicine Hat Bantam AAA
4. Burke Gallimore, CAC Alberta Bantam AAA
6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA
7. Erich Binner, Calgary SWAA White Bantam
8. Riley Boychuk, Abbotsford AAA
9. Shane Harle, North Shore Winter Club Bantam AAA
10. Matt MacKenzie, Burnaby Bantam AAA

Dwight Schrute
03-20-2006, 01:25 AM
when do we find out where we pick ?

Dwight Schrute
03-20-2006, 06:06 PM
when do we find out where we pick ?
if anybody knows where we pick or when we might pick in both the bantam and european drafts please post. as we will have high picks in both. also does anybody know what picks we have aquired/traded ?

westbeach55
03-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I really don't think we can sit here and blame anholt, at the awards banquet the other night they said they won't blame anyone but things will have to change. this year the expectations were set so high from a long playoff run last year. I'm glad we picked up deckert i think he gave us a chance at winning. I think size could be an issue (hellyer, doucet, dowhay) might want a couple more bigger skilled forwards. what you guys think about the schedule this year, do you think it might have played a factor in it. I guess i'm tired of hearing people compare the minto's to the raiders, I think the minto's are on a great run and its exciting hockey but people have to be realistic. for example brandon seems to have a strong team year after year i think our drafting needs to adjusted. well there is my little rant oyeah we need to get rid of drew wilson.

FELIX17
03-21-2006, 06:29 AM
I really don't think we can sit here and blame anholt, at the awards banquet the other night they said they won't blame anyone but things will have to change. this year the expectations were set so high from a long playoff run last year. I'm glad we picked up deckert i think he gave us a chance at winning. I think size could be an issue (hellyer, doucet, dowhay) might want a couple more bigger skilled forwards. what you guys think about the schedule this year, do you think it might have played a factor in it. I guess i'm tired of hearing people compare the minto's to the raiders, I think the minto's are on a great run and its exciting hockey but people have to be realistic. for example brandon seems to have a strong team year after year i think our drafting needs to adjusted. well there is my little rant oyeah we need to get rid of drew wilson.

Good points. I agree the scouting system needs to be looked at. I'm starting to think next year won't be as bad as everyone thinks. The Blades on the otherhand, will have their hands full. I hope CKBI sends Wilson for some special training this summer. He sure is tough to listen to.

Triton
03-21-2006, 11:34 AM

Who's comparing Mintos to Raiders...two different leagues and styles of play.

westbeach55
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Who's comparing Mintos to Raiders...two different leagues and styles of play.

i'm not saying anyone on these boards but i have heard at work and around cause the raiders didn't make the playoffs and how the minto's are doing so good. why would you want to watch the raiders when you have the minto's .damm i didn't know that there was so many band wagon jumpers in this city

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2006, 06:31 PM
i'm not saying anyone on these boards but i have heard at work and around cause the raiders didn't make the playoffs and how the minto's are doing so good. why would you want to watch the raiders when you have the minto's .damm i didn't know that there was so many band wagon jumpers in this city
i think it is simply that nobody knew how entertaining midget aaa could be. i know i didnt. and with no other live hockey it give raider fans a chance to see some live hockey and open them up to it. nobody is bailing on the raiders they are just very impressed with the mintos. they are well coached also, perhaps tim leonard could be a future raider bench boss ???

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
lets get jonathon toews whl rights from tri city
then we will get his childhood friend and former teammate ryan depape to convince him to come play here. that would be a big boost eh ??? lol i wish that would happen

Dwight Schrute
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4053

so we are hoping we win the lottery and get #2
we are also hoping kamloops doesnt win
if spokane chilliwack or red deer win the lottery we get # 4
if we win its # 2
if kamloops wins its # 5 for us
# 2 would be nice , but # 4 is the most likely

if anybody knows what picks were dealt or aquired please post

Triton
03-22-2006, 01:32 PM
lets get jonathon toews whl rights from tri city
then we will get his childhood friend and former teammate ryan depape to convince him to come play here. that would be a big boost eh ??? lol i wish that would happen

Jonathan only would play close to home.

Dwight Schrute
03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
lol i know i bet mcrimmon would do anything to get him.

westbeach55
03-22-2006, 11:48 PM

whats your source in saying he would only play close to home

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
whats your source in saying he would only play close to home
it was the reason he didnt go to tri city , he publicly stated that himself. UND is about as close to home as most east div teams except brandons really close

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4062&showToc=1
we get the 4th pick in each round !!! c,mon guys scout good ( NO BUSTS!!!)

Triton
03-23-2006, 12:51 PM
it was the reason he didnt go to tri city , he publicly stated that himself. UND is about as close to home as most east div teams except brandons really close

His mom has also made it publicly known that her boys would only be interested in playing in Brandon.Brandon ownes David Toews rights.I wouldn't doubt seeing him in a W'king jersey in the next yr or two.

westbeach55
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
His mom has also made it publicly known that her boys would only be interested in playing in Brandon.Brandon ownes David Toews rights.I wouldn't doubt seeing him in a W'king jersey in the next yr or two.

well i guess he choose not to play for any team in the dub, but i mean if the raiders were memorial cup contenders and they traded for his rights and he was coming back to the dub he wouldn't play. imagine the exposure he would get im just using an example. he is stupid to limit himself thats all im saying

FELIX17
03-23-2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=4062&showToc=1
we get the 4th pick in each round !!! c,mon guys scout good ( NO BUSTS!!!)

Hopefully O'Brien/Clark or whoever makes the final decision on draft day, picks a can't miss prospect. You think with the #4 overall pick, we will end up with someone special. Right? I realize Depape was a 4th overall pick and struggled this year. IMO, he still has potential to be a power forward in this league. Hopefully he will train hard all summer and will come back and have a banner year next season. For some reason, I remember PA picking Dylan Kemp 4th overall one year. Anyone remember Kemp? He shouldn't have even being playing SJ. Brutal pick by PA back then. I think Greg Watson was a 4th overall pick as well. PA needs a strong showing in the draft and by drafting 4th overall, hopefully they draft someone who will be a blue-chip prospect in this league.

Triton
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
well i guess he choose not to play for any team in the dub, but i mean if the raiders were memorial cup contenders and they traded for his rights and he was coming back to the dub he wouldn't play. imagine the exposure he would get im just using an example. he is stupid to limit himself thats all im saying

I agree.T.C refuses to deal his rights,so that no other team will have him.Junior hockey would be a better step to the NHL than the College route for anyone,especially Jonathan.

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Hopefully O'Brien/Clark or whoever makes the final decision on draft day, picks a can't miss prospect. You think with the #4 overall pick, we will end up with someone special. Right? I realize Depape was a 4th overall pick and struggled this year. IMO, he still has potential to be a power forward in this league. Hopefully he will train hard all summer and will come back and have a banner year next season. For some reason, I remember PA picking Dylan Kemp 4th overall one year. Anyone remember Kemp? He shouldn't have even being playing SJ. Brutal pick by PA back then. I think Greg Watson was a 4th overall pick as well. PA needs a strong showing in the draft and by drafting 4th overall, hopefully they draft someone who will be a blue-chip prospect in this league.

i remember kemp. his problems werent hockey related they were off ice. he had all the talent needed and at the time was a good pick, drafting isnt a exact science either (aka daigle over pronger steve kelly over iginla, pat falloon over scott neidermeir). there will always be busts, and there will always be sleepers, we can complaun all we want about the first rounders but look at some of the late round steals, shafer (i know i know but we got 4 years out of him) 9th round, may 7th round, peet in the tenth round, grant mcneill in the 6th round. there is some good talent to be had at #4 but it will be intersting to see who we get . any predictions on who might be the best availablble at # 4

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Here's a list of the top Bantam picks, done by International Scouting Services.

6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA (son of Ray Ferraro)

who will be a raider ?

Triton
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
i remember kemp. his problems werent hockey related they were off ice. he had all the talent needed and at the time was a good pick, drafting isnt a exact science either (aka daigle over pronger steve kelly over iginla, pat falloon over scott neidermeir). there will always be busts, and there will always be sleepers, we can complaun all we want about the first rounders but look at some of the late round steals, shafer (i know i know but we got 4 years out of him) 9th round, may 7th round, peet in the tenth round, grant mcneill in the 6th round. there is some good talent to be had at #4 but it will be intersting to see who we get . any predictions on who might be the best availablble at # 4

Wouldn't mind the Raiders to take Ferraro if he's still available at that point.

Triton
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Here's a list of the top Bantam picks, done by International Scouting Services.

6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA (son of Ray Ferraro)

who will be a raider ?

Do you have any stats on these players??

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Do you have any stats on these players??
jared cowan stoon contacts (as a underage 14 year old)
reg season 41 gp 4 goals 12 assists 16 points 66 pim
playoffs 8gp 0 goals 3 assists 3 points 6 pim

ryan howse i cant find anything on other than a tourny where he had 9g 4 a in 7 games
penner all i could find was 15 points in 7 playoff games
most of these are bc kids and bc is the hardest to track stats

westbeach55
03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
ISS SPOTLIGHT: Ryan Howse
ISS Scout: D. Caputo
This speedy center is a naturally gifted offensively player. At 5'11 Ryan plays a well-rounded style who creates offensive chances, battles in the corners and is responsible defensively. Plays on a weak team that relies on Howse for the majority of the offense. He demonstrates tenacity on the forcheck and often creates turnovers that result in offensive chances. His innate ability to see the ice, make plays look simple and score the "big goal" make him a highly-touted prospect. Was named Medicine Hat tournament All-Star forward and also played in the all-star game (in our opinion should have been Tourney MVP). Scored some big goals including an overtime winner vs Red Deer. Is a blue chip prospect that will go in the top 10 in the WHL draft. Needs to get stronger but that will come naturally with maturity.

Dwight Schrute
03-23-2006, 11:55 PM
will he be there at # 4 ? i think the hype around cowan will lead to him going # 1 although i bet he wont be the star of the draft

westbeach55
03-24-2006, 12:33 AM
just though i would put his scouting report up thats all

westbeach55
03-24-2006, 12:35 AM
if the raiders could pick up 6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA (son of Ray Ferraro) maybe we could get his dad on 900 ckbi and let go of drew wilson

Dwight Schrute
03-24-2006, 02:39 AM
if the raiders could pick up 6. Landon Ferraro, Burnaby Bantam AAA (son of Ray Ferraro) maybe we could get his dad on 900 ckbi and let go of drew wilson
i am sold on this idea
anything to get rid of wilson, he is gawd awful. hell can he be traded ???? id take a 14th round bantam pick for him ! or maybe a roll of hockey tape

Dwight Schrute
03-26-2006, 02:08 PM
. Spokane Chiefs - James Bettauer - Exceptional speed and grit with a deceptive shot. Watch out for him at KIBHIT.

2. Red Deer Rebels - Jared Cowen - Big stay-at-home defenceman with great offensive capability

3. Chiliwack Bruins - Ryan Howse - Sensational game-breaker. Future DUB goal scoring leader

4. Prince Albert Raiders - Cole Penner - All the tools for a successful DUB career.

5. Kamloops Blazers - Jesse Gray - Great team leader and great attitude. The perfect role player.

Hon. Mention:

* Daniel J. Merth - Great role model for young kids. A young Trevor Linden.

* Chuck DayChief - Great skater with exceptional hands. Must work on his physical play.

* Kyle Rademaker - Big hitter, great hands, A guy you always want out there in key situations

* Tyler Urry - Great positional goaltender with above average puck handling skills. Best goalie in this years draft. Was on the all star team in Medicine Hat. Get's his nose to the grindstone when times are tough. Great leader. Little on the chunky side. Could see this kid as next great DUB goalie. Any comment on this kid because he's a great guy in more than one way.

somebody posted this on the whiteboard. its the first i heard of this James Bettauer kid. for him to be put up to # 1 ?? howse and penner look interesting

N.W. Bruin
03-31-2006, 01:48 AM
http://www.puckmasters.com/tricities/students/index.html

Definitely not likely a first round bantam choice.

. Spokane Chiefs - James Bettauer - Exceptional speed and grit with a deceptive shot. Watch out for him at KIBHIT.

2. Red Deer Rebels - Jared Cowen - Big stay-at-home defenceman with great offensive capability

3. Chiliwack Bruins - Ryan Howse - Sensational game-breaker. Future DUB goal scoring leader

4. Prince Albert Raiders - Cole Penner - All the tools for a successful DUB career.

5. Kamloops Blazers - Jesse Gray - Great team leader and great attitude. The perfect role player.

Hon. Mention:

* Daniel J. Merth - Great role model for young kids. A young Trevor Linden.

* Chuck DayChief - Great skater with exceptional hands. Must work on his physical play.

* Kyle Rademaker - Big hitter, great hands, A guy you always want out there in key situations

* Tyler Urry - Great positional goaltender with above average puck handling skills. Best goalie in this years draft. Was on the all star team in Medicine Hat. Get's his nose to the grindstone when times are tough. Great leader. Little on the chunky side. Could see this kid as next great DUB goalie. Any comment on this kid because he's a great guy in more than one way.

somebody posted this on the whiteboard. its the first i heard of this James Bettauer kid. for him to be put up to # 1 ?? howse and penner look interesting

Dwight Schrute
04-30-2006, 12:57 PM
any way the raiders can swing a deal with spokane to move up from #4 to #1
cowan wants to play close to home and well......... pa is pretty close.
perhaps the 4th pick and a decent 89-90 dman for #1
i dont even know if trades can be made at this time of year.

Dwight Schrute
04-30-2006, 04:30 PM
we dont need penner they gotta look for some scoring
isnt penner a scorer ? the kid from medicine hat ?

FELIX17
04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
isnt penner a scorer ? the kid from medicine hat ?

Yeah he's a scorer. Slipped as the season went on. Don't think PA will draft him. As we all know, PA likes drafting power forwards that they hope will develop. Sounds like they are interested in this kid named Jason Gardiner from Winnipeg. Another Manitoba kid, go figure. Gardiner could be the best pick of the draft or a bust. Sounds about right, Clark and the boys gambling with their first pick and hoping they develop down the road. Draft day will be interesting. Can't wait to see how it unfolds starting with Spokane and Cowen.

Dwight Schrute
04-30-2006, 05:38 PM
yeah i will be following the draft on thursday
but does anybody know if trades can be made ?

FELIX17
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
yeah i will be following the draft on thursday
but does anybody know if trades can be made ?

Yeah trades can be made. Remember a few years ago when PA had the #1 overall pick and they traded it to Vancouver for the 3rd overall pick and a third round pick. Turns out it was Brule for Gauthier and Jordan Morgan. I wonder if Clark still thinks about that one. I'm not sure why they didn't want to draft Brule. Maybe he didn't want to come to PA. I'm not sure if roster players can be traded on draft day due to the fact that there are still 2 teams playing. Anyone else who can clarify this?

Red celtic
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
My understanding is that Ferraro will be going to Red Deer if Spokane takes Cowan. According to the Red Deer Advocate May 2 paper.
:karate:

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
My understanding is that Ferraro will be going to Red Deer if Spokane takes Cowan. According to the Red Deer Advocate May 2 paper.
:karate:

I heard Kamloops wanted to take Cody Eakin with their 5th overall pick but now it appears PA is interested in him also and may draft him 4th overall.

Triton
05-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Carter Ashton would be perfect here,or Penner.I don't think Eakin is as good as the other 2 mentioned.

Triton
05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Both Iss And Tsn Had Eakins As Possibly The Best Offensive Player In The Draft

I would have thought Ferraro would have been.Where does Eakins play?Height?Weight?Stats?

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I would have thought Ferraro would have been.Where does Eakins play?Height?Weight?Stats?

Cody Eakin - Winnipeg Monarchs 5ft 9in 150 lbs.

34 Games Played - 34 goals 25 assists 59 points. One of the most highly skilled prospects of the draft.

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Cody Eakin - Winnipeg Monarchs 5ft 9in 150 lbs.

34 Games Played - 34 goals 25 assists 59 points. One of the most highly skilled prospects of the draft.

Sorry, that's 29 GP - 34 goals, 25 assists, for 59 points.

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
It Doesnt Matter To Me There Is 7 Good Forwards I Just Hope They Dont Go For The Powerforward Type.... Again..lol

Lol!! I agree 100%. I read on Hockey Scouting a few days ago that PA had been spending a lot time with this Jason Gardiner kid. Another power forward who may turn out to be a great prospect or a total bust. I hope they take a safe pick and not some kid who they hope will develop down the road. With the 4th overall pick PA should be getting a high-end prospect.

Dwight Schrute
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Lol!! I agree 100%. I read on Hockey Scouting a few days ago that PA had been spending a lot time with this Jason Gardiner kid. Another power forward who may turn out to be a great prospect or a total bust. I hope they take a safe pick and not some kid who they hope will develop down the road. With the 4th overall pick PA should be getting a high-end prospect.
from what i see gardiner isnt quite a first rounder.
perhaps the raiders are looking at him as a possible 2nd round pick ???

Dwight Schrute
05-03-2006, 06:58 PM
doesnt look like howse will go past 3 on the whiteboard there is a article about chilliwack saying they will take him at 3

Triton
05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Another small forward..yuck.Draft someone over 6ft.If they chose Eakin,P.A would be a very small team.They always draft small.

Triton
05-03-2006, 07:02 PM
doesnt look like howse will go past 3 on the whiteboard there is a article about chilliwack saying they will take him at 3

Yeah Howse is gone top 3 for sure.I do think Spokane will still take Cowen,and deal him at a later date.Cowen does have a year to peel away from the tit.Maybe he'll change his mind.

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I think the first 3 picks will be:
1. Cowen - Spokane
2. Ferraro - Red Deer
3. Howse - Chilliwack
4. PA ?????? Penner, Eakin, Gardiner, someone else?

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Carter Ashton or Jimmy Bubnick could also be possibilities. Ashton sounds like he'd be a good pick.

Dwight Schrute
05-03-2006, 09:36 PM
what are you talking about? who do they draft small?
yeah really
trach is 6f
palazzo 6f4
depape 6f3
gauthier 6f4
chipper 6f3
colliton 6f2

last 6 first rounders draft picks

FELIX17
05-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe he's refering to Steph Vigier who's 5 ft 8 in and 150 lbs. Most of the boys they draft have size and maybe not enough skill. However, with the guys coming up, I think they have a good combination of size and skill.

Dwight Schrute
05-03-2006, 10:31 PM
what time does the draft start ?

FELIX17
05-04-2006, 08:42 AM
what time does the draft start ?

I think it starts at 9:30 am our time (central).

Drop em' eh
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
COLE PENNER

another power forward , lets hope he comes around quickly.

From the TSN web site:

Ranked # 5 - Cole Penner, LW

Has a good combination of size and strength. Likes to throw the body. Skates well and has the makings of a typical power forward. Will make a great WHL star. Uses his strength and size to his advantage. Has a great nose for the net and loves to punish with the body. Plays the game with a chip on his shoulder. Is a top ten pick in the WHL bantam draft. Showed discipline problems at the end of the season.

FELIX17
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
2nd round a d man ryan button

Great defenceman, excellent skater, and has mean streak. Good pick by PA.

FELIX17
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Ryan Button Raiders second round pick.
Calgary, Alberta - In the second round of the 2006 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft in Calgary this morning, the Prince Albert Raiders selected defenceman Ryan Button from Edmonton CAC of the Alberta Major Bantam League.

Button, 6'1", 170 pounds, had 9 goals and 26 assists for 35 points in 28 games this past season with Edmonton CAC. In the post season Button had 5 assists in 5 games.
"Ryan Button has excellent speed and a hard shot," commented Raider Head Scout Dave O'Brien after making the selection. "He has great puck handling skill and is a guy that could run our power play."

The Raiders next selection will be in the third round, 46th overall.

Fans can follow the draft live on http://www.whl.ca/hm/draft.php.

Triton
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Raiders select RW Brandon Herrod from Meadow Lake.

Triton
05-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Raiders select Jorden Iron April 2, 1991 LW Meadow Lake, SK with the 111th pick in the 6th round

Triton
05-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Raiders select RW Brandon Herrod from Meadow Lake.

Meadow Lake product, right winger Brandon Herrod, was the Prince Albert Raiders 3rd round selection, 46th overall this morning at the WHL Bantam Draft in Calgary.

Herrod, 6', 175 pounds, played this past season with the undefeated Notre Dame Hounds in the South Saskatchewan Bantam League who won the league title. Herrod had 21 goals and 24 assists for 45 points in 25 games played during the regular season and added 3 goals and 8 assists for 11 points in 6 playoff games.

Raiders Head Scout Dave O'Brien is pleased to be able to select Herrod: "Brandon Herrod is a gritty player who can skate and score."

The Raiders do not pick again until the 6th round, 111th overall

Triton
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Raiders select Jorden Iron April 2, 1991 LW Meadow Lake, SK with the 111th pick in the 6th round

Calgary, Alberta - With their fourth selection of the day, the Prince Albert Raiders picked left winger Jorden Iron, their second straight player from Meadow Lake, in the 6th round, 11th overall in the WHL Bantam Draft underway in Calgary. This past season Iron played Midget AAA with the Beardy's Blackhawks in the Saskatchewan Major Midget League.

Iron, 5'8", 170 pounds, picked up 6 goals and 11 assists with the Blackhawks playing as a 14 year old in Midget AAA this past season. In the playoffs, Iron had 2 assists in 4 games.

"Jorden Iron is a smaller player that is very sturdy on his skates and has good hands," commented Dave O'Brien, Raiders Head Scout. "He pays the price to go to the tough areas to score."

The Raiders next selection is in the 7th round, 133rd overall

Dwight Schrute
05-04-2006, 12:21 PM
anyone know why our 6th rounder was traded to kooteney ?
i dont remember any deal with them(except polak but that was in 03)

Dwight Schrute
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Meadow Lake product, right winger Brandon Herrod, was the Prince Albert Raiders 3rd round selection, 46th overall this morning at the WHL Bantam Draft in Calgary.

Herrod, 6', 175 pounds, played this past season with the undefeated Notre Dame Hounds in the South Saskatchewan Bantam League who won the league title. Herrod had 21 goals and 24 assists for 45 points in 25 games played during the regular season and added 3 goals and 8 assists for 11 points in 6 playoff games.

Raiders Head Scout Dave O'Brien is pleased to be able to select Herrod: "Brandon Herrod is a gritty player who can skate and score."

The Raiders do not pick again until the 6th round, 111th overall
another power forward ?

Dwight Schrute
05-04-2006, 12:33 PM
brant henry norton ranked #13 by iss
picked in round 6 by the blades
he is from pa. having a local player would be nice but man he was ranked 13th overall and we let him go to the blades. i hope this one doesnt bite us

FELIX17
05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
he is from pa. having a local player would be nice but man he was ranked 13th overall and we let him go to the blades. i hope this one doesnt bite us

Hockey Scouting had Henry-Norton rated for the 4th round 71st overall.

Penner was listed as 12th overall and Button was rated 20th overall.
Herrod was rated for the 3rd round at 62nd overall.

From everything I read on Button, he was a great pick for PA in the second round. Probably should have been a first round pick.

Triton
05-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Raiders select Zach Zayak with their pick 133rd overall.

Triton
05-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Raiders select Zach Zayak with their pick 133rd overall.

Awesome name.Will be sweet to hear his named called for the starting line-up by Jack Sander.

I can hear it now..."Starting at leftwing #? ZACH ZAYYYYYYYYY-AK"!

Triton
05-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Raiders select Dane Olsen April 9, 1991 D Island Lake, AB

Triton
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM

Another local picked by Medicine Hat is Tyson Newell April 17, 1991 D Prince Albert, SK.

Yeah I think not choosing Norton could come back and bite us.

Triton
05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Raiders select Cody Abbey January 10, 1991 LW Kaslo, B.C.

Triton
05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
With the Raiders back to back picks they selected Jordan Kochan May 12, 1991 C Edmonton, AB

Knuckle Chucker
05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Another local picked by Medicine Hat is Tyson Newell April 17, 1991 D Prince Albert, SK.

Yeah I think not choosing Norton could come back and bite us.

What do you guys know about Newell????

Triton
05-04-2006, 02:22 PM
What do you guys know about Newell????

Newell had 5 goals, 14 assists for 19 pts in 20 games with 18 PIM.Very good in his own end,and carries the puck well.Makes a good first pass.Not sure about height or weight.Physical and has good hockey sense.

Triton
05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Raiders just drafted local product Josh Dueck June 1, 1991 D Prince Albert, SK.

Dueck had 4 goals and 11 assists for 15 pts and 30 PIM.He was Newell's defence partner and basically is a carbon copy of Newell.Josh plays like Nick Schultz.

Triton
05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
With the 193rd pick the Raiders selected Jesse Matthewson June 23, 1991 D Carlyle, SK

Knuckle Chucker
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Newell had 5 goals, 14 assists for 19 pts in 20 games with 18 PIM.Very good in his own end,and carries the puck well.Makes a good first pass.Not sure about height or weight.Physical and has good hockey sense.

Thank for that

Dwight Schrute
05-04-2006, 04:57 PM
any thoughts on our new prospects? ???
my only complaint is that we didnt get brant henry-norton