PDA

View Full Version : Should've let loose Ashton

GoHard1986
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
I think it was a mistake to keep ashton for the season. He is a waste of an overager and could have gotten the hurricanes a younger player 18 or 19 that would actually contribute to the team. From what I've heard he is not much of a leader, and from watching him play all season I find it hard to say he is anything greater than average. Olafson and Wick I believe are key players as overagers and will be an asset for the remainder of the season, but I just fail to see what the organization see's in ashton.

scout59
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Although I haven't heard anything about his leadership abilities, I was also surprised to see him stay in Lethbridge. He can be a frustrating player to watch since he does not seem to have the skill to match the expectations. I think the team has made some good moves late in the year but I'm not sure what the Hurricanes were thinking by keeping mark ashton.

loudi94
01-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Although I haven't heard anything about his leadership abilities, I was also surprised to see him stay in Lethbridge. He can be a frustrating player to watch since he does not seem to have the skill to match the expectations. I think the team has made some good moves late in the year but I'm not sure what the Hurricanes were thinking by keeping mark ashton.
It's called player and fan loyalty. They looked to move him to a team with playoff hopes, but the only takers were teams that were no better than the Canes. If the right deal would have presented itself, they would have moved him. Remember that they do have to finish the season and Ashton logs a lot of time. Replacing him with a comparable player would have been tough.

grainbear
01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Every general manager we have had has stated something positive about Ashton and the intangiables that he makes in the dressing room. Part of the problem in Lethbridge is everyone trying to outguess the coaches and managers including board members. Be happy now , give a few weeks for chemistry to develop and then if necessary us patient and loyal fans will acknowledge whether your right or wrong

Nielson11
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Ashton is what he is...a solid defensive d-man with very little upside who isn't afraid to drop the mitts.

He really couldn't have been replaced on that blueline, so might as well keep him. I think he is helping Ben Wright develop nicely.

As for 20 year olds....Wick is cold right now, he needs to step it up a notch.

As for Olafson, he can hit and he can swing his stick, but boy would I like to see him drop the mitts....a guy his size has to be willing to drop the gloves.

loudi94
01-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Ashton is what he is...a solid defensive d-man with very little upside who isn't afraid to drop the mitts.

He really couldn't have been replaced on that blueline, so might as well keep him. I think he is helping Ben Wright develop nicely.

As for 20 year olds....Wick is cold right now, he needs to step it up a notch.

As for Olafson, he can hit and he can swing his stick, but boy would I like to see him drop the mitts....a guy his size has to be willing to drop the gloves.

I think the next game against the Hat should be a game where the 'Canes try to take it to them physically. There's a big mental block there since the time the Hat smacked them around last season. Drop the gloves and serve notice that this team will not get pushed around.

scout59
01-24-2006, 11:47 PM
True, Just because Ashton isn't the most skilled player on the team doesn't mean he can't serve a purpose. Personally I think Shawn Mezei would have been Much more valuable. No one is scared of ashton but Mezei could intimidate the hell out of teams.

GoHard1986
01-24-2006, 11:57 PM
As far as fan loyalty goes, I think keeping Mezei would have been the way to go. Everyone I knew loved to watch him because he could hit like a train and scrap with the best in the league. I can't say that ashton is very exciting to watch at all and perhaps even dull. he is not an offensive threat and his stay at home defense is around par. I could only wish Mezei was still around to teach these teams some manners and mix it up for the fans a bit.

loudi94
01-25-2006, 08:15 AM
As far as fan loyalty goes, I think keeping Mezei would have been the way to go. Everyone I knew loved to watch him because he could hit like a train and scrap with the best in the league. I can't say that ashton is very exciting to watch at all and perhaps even dull. he is not an offensive threat and his stay at home defense is around par. I could only wish Mezei was still around to teach these teams some manners and mix it up for the fans a bit.
Mezei should have done all the things listed in the last two posts, but for whatever reason, he wasn't. That's why he was let go.

grainbear
01-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree that Mezei brought a physical presence to the team that Ashton does not. However, lets look at last year stats

Ashton 15 points and + 27
Mezei 8 points and +10

For a young defense like we have who would you keep to set the example. We can always pickup a policeman if we need one. Bryce even though he has not won every scrap has at least served notice that he will look after his fellow players to the best of his ability. Perhaps the leaque should allow 3 - 20 year olds and an additional if he is offshore.