PDA

View Full Version : Don Cherry

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
He is well known person in the sport of hockey,and he is a coach in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects game and is very patriotic towards hockey players born in Canda ( especialy players from the province of Ontario ) This is not something that is totally related to hockey,If it should be moved to the Water Cooler then that is ok too. Anyways I was watching his 1st intermission"Coaches Corner" a couple of Saturdays ago(Jan 14th or 21st) and he came to the subject of Canadian athletes not wanting to carry the Canadian flag for Canada at the olympic ceremonies,because it draws to much atttention or is a distraction to them. He also said something along the lines of: If you do not want to carry your country's flag to represent your country,then that athlete is a disgrace to their country(but he was talking about Canada in particular) I do not fully agree with him when he said that the athlete is a disgrace beacause,yes they are choosen to carry their contry's flag and if they refuse,that is their own descision,and I respect that. When he said that the athlete may be distracted or have to much attention put on thier shoulders, I am sure that all of the athletes that have carried the canadian flag in the past and present,were very proud to represent their country,as I would also be if I had been chosen to to do the same. This is just a topic that was on my mind and I felt that it could be shared.

The_Vulk
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Alot of it has to due with how the olympics schedule events.

Just look at how many athletes CAN'T make the opening cerimonies because they have to compete first thing in the morning. To be fair to all the participants, the Opening Cerimonies should have a full day rest before the first events, so ALL can attend and still be well rested/prepared for their competition.

Don Cherry should have recalled (from his playing days and during his coaching career) why players should not be out at all hours of the night before a game. Just look at how worn down they are during the game without the proper rest.

As much as it is an honour to carry the flag, the athelets representing their countries must not think just from the heart (as Don does), but with their mind and body, and what is best for their performance in the Olympics. And in games like this, every advantage one can get IS an advantage they should not pass over. (For do you think their competition will pass it over, if it will give them a chance for gold instead of a bronze?)