PDA

View Full Version : Kootney vs. Red Deer

dusty
01-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Finally picked up a win! Any comments on the game?

Tinner
01-25-2006, 07:09 AM
It was a good game. Rebels kept the Ice off stride and when they slipped a little, Lepp was there to shut the door. Giving credit where credit is due, I thought playing Versteeg on D the whole night gave the Rebels some added punch as he was able to make some great 1st passes for offensive threats. That said however, his defensive skills need honing, but all in all, having someone back there that moves/passes the puck helps. As is the norm, Sutter, Sutter and Petkau played well and to my surprise I thought the "bang and crash" line of Gillies, Lameroux and Frere added, if anything, a lot of heart to the Rebels play. Lepp was the star of the night with some of the saves he made (even if he didn't see the puck) and credit the remaining D men with keeping everything to the outside.

Also, I thought Cunning was a dominant Rebel last night.

SectionNDeserter
01-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Finally picked up a win! Any comments on the game?An excellent game by all players, there wasn't any players 'along for the ride'. I think the big thing that made this game special, was the fact that the Rebels were both passing the puck forward, and more often than not their passes were actually getting to their target. Could they be turning a corner here? And while it was a real team effort, a few players really stood out. Kris Versteeg played effectively from the point, generating offense while not creating any odd-man rushes. He even made a tremendous defensive play to break up a 2-on-1. Jordan Henry... Why did Moose Jaw give this guy up for a 4th string goalie again? This kid has got hands! On top of that, he is quite mobile and likes to hit. While he didn't connect on any of his shots on goal, he generated a handful of scoring chances and was easily the best defenseman on the ice. Cam Cunning not only scored, but he absolutely reamed Maxwell and Cracknell with some stiff checks that left them crawling to the bench. And last but not least, Shinyshoes and the rest of the section N guys for their work in steering in that curling shot into the empty net, with the power of their minds, to seal the deal! :thumb:

Rebrevs
01-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I think it is safe to say that the entire crowd in the centrium stopped breathing for a few seconds while praying that puck into the net!! THank you God!!!

Shinyshoes
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
And last but not least, Shinyshoes and the rest of the section N guys for their work in steering in that curling shot into the empty net, with the power of their minds, to seal the deal! :thumb:"The force is strong with this one"

Kudos for Versteeg, and Berube for that matter, for breaking up a 2 on 1 and a 3 on 1 respectively. I thought both had one of their most solid games on Defence this season. Its finally starting to come around....next season looks good.

tiny
01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Can't help but praise the determined effort by the Rebs in the last while. I admire the way they avoided getting down and continued to play knowing it will eventually pay off. My three stars: Cunning, Versteeg, Lepp, Chapman, Sutter and Sutter (so I can't count)

I, too, was pleased with the win but even more pleased with things I saw happening last night:

1. quick, effective outlet passes, especially in the first period, by all the D-men.
2. absolutely crunching hits by Cunning making ICE duck the rest of the night then Cunning adding a goal to boot (and some other very nice shots)
3. brilliant passing on the power play by Versteeg and Chapman setting up TWO PP GOALS :groovy:
4. Brandon getting into dangerous territory for the rebound on the second goal.
5. Berube breaking up a 3-on-one and playing solidly
6. Vandi making a terrific back check to save a goal when we were shorthanded and displaying true leadership all game long
7. GREAT penalty killing (1/7) against the top rated PP (only goal given up was on the back end of an accidental high stick 4m PP)
8. Versteeg breaking up a 2-on-one late in the game and choosing the best times to make rushes and and excite the crowd
9. Pierre-Paul for being first to react to the hit on Lepp early in the game. and with Frere adding solid minutes with your energy and hustle
10. Gillies laying some good hits and coming back hard in the last shift to cut off a scoring chance by the Ice's big guns.
11. Knackstedt working the corners like a much older player and making some very nice passes (I really like this line.
12. Scott playing one of his best all-round game of the year.
14. Kline playing with added grit and getting to the front of the net
15. not letting calls or non-calls upset anyone.
16. Poulter for answering the bell ( Ain't it great to be a lefty?)
17. Brett (no more need be said)
18. Petkau for fitting in so well with your linemates and using his speed down the wall.
19. the worm has turned, the monkey (gorilla is gone)...
20. and I won the $3.25 for picking the scorer of the first goal of the night. What could be better?

It is so much fun to be positive; right Shinyshoes? ;)

Tinner
01-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Its like this;

2 tickets to the game $22.00 (season ticket price)
great conversation with a couple of posters on this site - free
great 1st period of play - nice to see
1st win in the new year - priceless

3rebels
01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
And Mihalik and Egener finally looked like they belonged. And, YES, Frere the forward, who did not seem out of place. Lots of comments on the "fight" and Cunnings running over anything in his way. Good passing from EVERYBODY and how to work the crowd into the game. :D
I enjoyed it from the opening face-off to the 3Star annoucements !!!!
:groovy: :groovy:

RDRebelsfan
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Great all aorund effort from the team last night. Great to see, good for confidence and good for us fans. They'll need to keep this momentum rolling however.

As long as we can score more than 2 goals we'd probably be in pretty good shape. I'm liking what I see with Lepp already. However before that one Ice goal was scored I found myself yelling at him to get up.

Sgt. Zeek
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
The Rebels consistant physical play payed off against the ice. Cunning & Gillies layed out some big hits,just to name two.(Mahalik would have had one in the second comming back to the Rebels end after a line change, but the Ice winger didn't want to sacrifice himself to make a play. lol) The team as a whole played physical and it payed off for them. I would like to see them play that style every game.