PDA

View Full Version : Stephenson Steps Up For Ams

HAF
01-26-2006, 05:56 PM
STEPHENSON STEPS UP FOR AMS - The Tri-City Americans had some big shoes to fill on their blue line at the start of 2005-06 Western Hockey League season. The departure Clayton Stoner and World Junior standout Shawn Belle to the pro ranks meant the Ams' would have to march on without two of their most valuable players.

However, for Americans rearguard Logan Stephenson, the loss of Belle and Stoner meant an opportunity for him to step up and show that he could lead the Ams' blue line brigade.

So far, Stephenson hasn't disappointed.

"It's been going really well for me," said Stephenson, who ranks second on the Ams in scoring with 37 points this season. "I've been given an opportunity by coach (Don) Nachbaur, who's given me more time on the power play and penalty kill.

"It's kind of been one of those seasons where you shoot the puck and it always seems to find someone," said the fourth-year Ams veteran. "At the same time, it's definitely a testament to a lot of other guys on the team as well."

It's not as if Stephenson has risen out of nowhere to become one of the WHL's elite defensemen. After all, the 19-year-old product of Outlook, SK, was selected 35th overall by the Phoenix Coyotes at the 2004 NHL draft, was selected to play for Team WHL in both the 2004 and 2005 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge events, and was the final cut on Canada's 2006 World Junior team.

But, playing on a Tri-Cities team with the likes of Belle and Stoner, Stephenson often didn't receive the same fanfare as his high profile teammates.

"Coming into the season, we were losing both Belle and Stoner, which were big, big shoes to fill, so I wanted to try and make that transition a bit more comfortable," said Stephenson, whose brother, Shay, won a Memorial Cup with Red Deer in 2001.

"I knew I had to play well this year because I'm the oldest returning defenseman and it's my job to lead," he said. "I put a lot of thought into it and decided 'yeah, I really need to step up if I'm going to fill those shoes'."

One of the big factors in helping Stephenson rise to the challenge was his experience at NHL training camp with the Coyotes in the fall of 2005, which gave the 6'3", 190-pound rearguard a strong confidence boost.

"It was kind of a feel-it-out process for a guy my age, but it was a great experience," said Stephenson.

"They said they liked my physical play, and the fact that I put an emphasis on my own zone first," said Stephenson. "They also told me to keep working on my game in the offensive zone, and work on my decision-making when I have the puck.

"I've been trying to work on those elements, and I think I've made some big strides in both those areas this season," he added.

His experience at the Coyotes' training camp also made his realize the dream of one day making it to the NHL is attainable.

"It's a huge confidence booster," he said. "When you're up there playing against the big boys, and you're starting to think 'maybe this isn't as far off as I thought it was'.

"When you come back to junior, you have all the confidence in the world," he said. "The things you learn up there, you can put into your game when you get back to the WHL."

While Stephenson has been very solid this season for the Ams, the team has had its struggles with consistency. A low start to the season put the Ams behind the eight ball early.

However, the team has picked up their game and played more consistently over the last two months. As a result, the Ams currently find themselves right in the thick of the playoff race in the U.S. Division.

"We did get off to a bit of a rough start but, as of late, we've been battling and playing our systems a lot better, and a lot of guys have stepped up and taken it upon themselves to play well," said Stephenson, who is currently tied for fourth among all WHL defensemen in scoring.

Stephenson says while the team is playing much better than at the start of the season, they will have to step it up another notch to make sure they don't fall behind in a tight U.S. Division.

"Division games are that much bigger now that the division is so tight," said the Ams captain. "Portland, Seattle and Spokane are all good teams, and they can all catch fire any time, so we really need to be on our toes.

"Something we're shooting for is to definitely finish in the top two and have home ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs, but we know it's going to be a dogfight to the end," he said.

Jesse Watts
whl.ca