PDA

View Full Version : doug weight on the move

westbeach55
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Doug Weight and 27-year-old Finnish forward Erkki Rajamaki from the St. Louis Blues.

In exchange, Carolina gave to the Blues three draft picks and three players. The package includes:

- Carolina's first-round pick in 2006.
- Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.
- Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.
- Tough guy forward Jesse Boulerice, a 27-year-old eighth-year pro
- Forward Mike Zigomanis, a 25-year-old fifth-year pro
- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1

Weight is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. At this point in time, Weight is considered by both the Hurricanes and himself to be a "rental" for the balance of this season.

Related Info
Predators acquire Sillinger from Blues
Numbers Game: Weight goes to Carolina
Although the Weight trade is not related to the ongoing ownership issues with the Blues, sources tell TSN it finally looks as though the franchise will be sold to a group headed by former New York Ranger executive Dave Checketts, who has been in on-again, off-again negotiations to buy the team for months now.

Sources say the deal was supposed to be finalized over the weekend, but that did not happen. Whether it's just a minor delay or yet another snag that could cause problems remains to be seen, but the sense is that Checketts' group will be able to close the deal to purchase the franchise

Weight, 35, is the Blues' leading scorer with 44 points in 47 games this season. A productive offensive centre throughout his career, Weight will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He's earning $5.7-million this year.

In 960 career games with the Blues, Oilers and Rangers, Weight has 235 goals and 637 assists for 872 points, adding 55 points in 68 career playoff games.

Boulerice, an enforcer, has zero points and 51 penalty minutes in 26 games this year. He has 10 points and 291 penalty minutes in 153 career games with the Flyers and Hurricanes. He's earning $501,600 this year.

Zigomanis has not been able to stick with the Hurricanes this year and has one goal in 21 NHL games, while putting up 13 points in 11 games with the Lowell Lock Monsters of the AHL. He has seven points in 57 career NHL games and makes $450,000.

Kahnberg, a 6-foot-2, 192-pound winger, is playing for Vastra Frolunda in Sweden He was a seventh round pick of the Hurricanes in 2000 and has 14 goals and 25 points in 37 games this season.

Rajamaki was reassigned on December 20 from Peoria in the AHL to the Espoo Blues in Finland, where he has two points and 65 penalty minutes in 12 games.

Triton
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I'am shocked still at how well the Canes are doing.I always liked the Hartford Whalers back when they were there,and when they moved to Carolina I was a bit sad,but the canes are my second favourite NHL team behind the Avs.Good for the Canes to aquire a player of Doug Weight's magnitude.He should add to their already impressive line-up.