PDA

View Full Version : The official WHL rule book

Billy Blade
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Courtesy of the Western Hockey League official site:

http://www.whl.ca/about/rules.php

pratt
08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Is it true that if a whl team keeps a 16 yr old they must play him at least 40 games?

Spungy
08-31-2007, 01:56 PM
I have never heard of a rule like that. Personally, our rookies 16-17 year olds play alot less than 40 games as far as i have ever seen

maybe a personal club rule?

Shortys
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I believe it is a club rule. It all depends on the coaches and GM just like any other aged player. 15 year olds on the other hand are limited to a max of 5 games I believe.

Five Hole
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
I copied and pasted some banter (see below) from the age guideline thread on this subject from about a year ago.. it says here 16 year olds they have to play 40 games, but I'm not sure if that is in fact true.
Also, not sure if post # 17 is accurate, where he says the league can have more than 40 16 year olds, as long as some of them are playing 39 games or less???
Can anybody clarify this?
__________________________________________________ _________

#13 08-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Wingnut
Grinder Join Date: Apr 2005

Update on 16 year olds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated earlier in the thread, WHL teams are allowed a maximum of 80 16 year-old players this season total. Each 16 year old must play in a minimum of 40 regular season games.
It will be interesting which team gets more than other teams as 21 does not divide into 80 evenly.

Wingnut
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Wingnut
Find all posts by Wingnut
Add Wingnut to Your Buddy List

#14 08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
N.W. Bruin
sniper Join Date: May 2005

As long as the 80 player rule stays in effect the league should be okay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut
As stated earlier in the thread, WHL teams are allowed a maximum of 80 16 year-old players this season total. Each 16 year old must play in a minimum of 40 regular season games.

It will be interesting which team gets more than other teams as 21 does not divide into 80 evenly.

Even with 22 teams next season. There was only 60 or so 16s last season that played any significant time. The minimum 40 games means that the kids can't be inserted into the lineup here and there as they have to play better than every second game. If it ever gets lower than the 80 it might be a problem.

N.W. Bruin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to N.W. Bruin
Find all posts by N.W. Bruin
Add N.W. Bruin to Your Buddy List

#15 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
AmsPhotos
Grinder Join Date: Aug 2006

40 game restriction

I assume the 40 game restriction wouldn't take effect if a player was injured for a significant amount of time or if they were a goaltender.

AmsPhotos
View Public Profile
Send a private message to AmsPhotos
Find all posts by AmsPhotos
Add AmsPhotos to Your Buddy List

#16 10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
pucksucker
List Player

16's for 2006-2007

Hello everyone!

Nice to see a forum without all the negative issues of the Oregonlive board or the White Board. Hope I don't ruffle too many feathers ;-)

What is the final ruling for the 16 year old cap in the WHL? I see Portland has 6 16-year olds, Calgary 5, Rockets 5, T-Birds have 4 and several teams have 3,2,or1. This puts the WHL over the 40 limit as well ! Could someone clarify what the team and league limits are ?
Thank you
PuckSucker[/FONT]

pucksucker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to pucksucker
Find all posts by pucksucker
Add pucksucker to Your Buddy List

#17 10-19-2006, 04:26 PM
canes77
Second Liner Join Date: Sep 2006

I never knew about the 16 yr old rule until this thread...Interesting that the league could have more than 40 16-yr olds as long as some of them play 39 games or less. In Leth, we had a handful of 16 yr olds last yr, but looking at Justin Leclerc, he played in only 34 games but ended up as the #1 goalie. Some teams could bend the rules like this, sitting out guys every other game or so, letting them play at the U-17s at Xmas, etc.

canes77
View Public Profile
Send a private message to canes77
Send email to canes77
Find all posts by canes77
Add canes77 to Your Buddy List

dagley
05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Anybody got a new link to the rule book?

nivek_wahs
05-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Anybody got a new link to the rule book?

http://www.whl.ca/WHL-Rulebook-s11102

iceman778
04-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Courtesy of the Western Hockey League official site:

http://www.whl.ca/about/rules.php

thanks for this site.......i found very interesting info

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Cannot find a link for it so I shall ask the question.

What is the deal with the amount of Refs in a game?
Every game I have seen so far has had 2 refs.
Last night at our game we only had one. Is there a rule on what is required?

SectionNDeserter
11-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Every game I have seen so far has had 2 refs.
Last night at our game we only had one. Is there a rule on what is required?Not that I am aware. There is a shortage of WHL officials of sorts, and I think they do their best to get as many games with two refs, but it doesn't always work out that way. Here in Red Deer, I would say that about 75% of the games have 2 refs.

CdnSailor
11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
On the books they have 41 officials.
Get rid of the sick, lame and lazy and I guess there is not that many around.

cjbhab
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Here is my question based on something that happened last night?

Is the home team permitted to crank their PA system and encourage fans to make noise while the road team has called a timeout?

To me.. it seems like there should be some kind of rule against this.. maybe I'm being picky.

mjw22
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Here is my question based on something that happened last night?

Is the home team permitted to crank their PA system and encourage fans to make noise while the road team has called a timeout?

To me.. it seems like there should be some kind of rule against this.. maybe I'm being picky.

Man you Pat fans whine about everything :groovy::groovy:

cjbhab
03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Man you Pat fans whine about everything :groovy::groovy:

I'm actually a Warriors fan.. I just thought it was classless on our part.

mjw22
03-28-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm actually a Warriors fan.. I just thought it was classless on our part.

take up a new sport :o:o:o

Richie69
10-28-2012, 04:42 PM
thanks for this site.......i found very interesting info

Looks like the WHL has removed/hidden their rules again. I can't believe that they don't have an easy to find link on their own website. What an embarassing organization!

(They probably do this on purpose so fans can't call them out on their frequent deviations from the rules, and their random punishment assessment.:evil:)

I can't track it down. Can someone find it and post the working link again?

Thanks.