PDA

View Full Version : Canadiens coach checks up on Price

HAF
02-03-2006, 02:31 PM
http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/hockey/americans/story/7413615p-7325318c.html

Canadiens coach checks up on Price
This story was published Friday, February 3rd, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Rollie Melanson has traveled hundreds of thousands of miles worldwide as an assistant coach for the Montreal Canadiens, but during his eight years with the Habs, his travels have never brought him to the Pacific Northwest -- until now.

When your top pick from the 2005 NHL draft -- goalie Carey Price -- plays for the Tri-City Americans, its a no-brainer to pack your bags and head west.

"When our coaching staff picked him fifth overall, they did their homework," said Melanson, a former NHL goaltender from Moncton, New Brunswick. "He has an extraordinary talent and we want to make sure that he makes the right development to play to the peak of his talent. He's definitely going to be a big part of our organization.

"As with any young player, there is a process to go through. He might be playing in the NHL three years from now. But goaltenders usually break into the league at 23-25 years old."

Melanson, 45, recently saw Price play in Kelowna, Seattle and at Toyota Center against Vancouver, and he was impressed with the progress Price has made this season.

"In today's way of goaltending, you have to play under a system. You have to play a percentage game as well as playing your angles like in the olden days," Melanson said. "You have to have a stronger butterfly and be able to recover from the butterfly. It doesn't surprise me when I got to Kelowna and see him get first star, and win with 40-odd shots. His talents allows him to come out with those victories."

Price spent nearly a month in Montreal at the Canadiens' team camp last fall, working with Melanson and Montreal starter Jose Theodore.

"The main thing that we tried to address with him in training camp, is we wanted to see if he could put it into practice the things he learned once when he left Montreal," Melanson said. "What I like about Carey is the energy he brings to the room, the respect he has for the guys and the cool approach he has to everyday life. Just the maturity he has at 18 years old that a lot of kids don't have."

Melanson supervises the development of all the goaltenders in the Montreal organization, but it wasn't until the Canadiens changed coaches that he got to check out their top prospect in the Western Hockey League.

"Since we changed coaching staffs, Bob Gainey has allowed me to do things the way I think they should have been done," Melanson said. "When we draft a goaltender, I think I should be allowed to see him in juniors. I would have liked to have seen Carey before Christmas and again this time of the year."

Montreal has a long-standing tradition of turning out some of the top netminders in the NHL, which adds to the pressure of Melanson's job.

"I just try to approach my job day-to-day," he said. "I also take care of the guys in Hamilton (AHL) and Jose and I have been together for nine years. You just try to get your guys to play to their potential. That's what's the most important thing. Not all the guys are going to make it to the NHL, but if you can get them to play to their potential, you are at least giving them a chance."

Melanson played the better part of 11 years in the NHL for the New York Islanders, Minnesota North Stars, Los Angels Kings, New Jersey Devils and the Canadiens. He won three Stanley Cups with the Islanders from 1980 to 1983.

He played 291 regular-season games with a 129-106-33 record. He finished his career in 1992 with Montreal, going 5-3-0.