PDA

View Full Version : Flu bug cripples Silvertips' lineup

Kristi
02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Flu bug cripples Silvertips' lineup

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - One of these days the Everett Silvertips will be back at something resembling full health.

However, it's unlikely tonight will be that day.

Despite the anticipated return of Peter Mueller, the Silvertips go into tonight's game at Seattle with more health question marks than answers.

"I'm so used to it by now that it doesn't bother me," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said with a wry grin.

Since late October Everett has been incapable of fielding it's best lineup because of injuries, illness and international call-ups.

This time around the culprit is more sickness than injuries. Everett has four players - forwards Zach Hamill, Brady Calla and Damir Alic and defenseman Graham Potuer - who were unable to practice Tuesday because of the flu. The status of those four for tonight's game was unknown.

Everett does get one player back from sickness in Mueller. Mueller had been out with a case of strep throat, but he practiced at full speed Tuesday and is slated for tonight's lineup.

Mueller, Everett's third-leading scorer with 42 points in 36 games, missed Everett's previous six games. He missed the first three because of a concussion, then fell victim to illness just as he was set to return from the concussion. His return will be welcome for a team that was shut out twice last week.

Of greater long-range concern is the status of captain Torrie Wheat. Wheat continues to be hampered by a bruised foot that's dogged him for more than two weeks. He sat out Everett's 2-0 loss at Kelowna last Wednesday, played in pain during Friday's 2-0 loss at Tri-City, then sat out again Saturday in Everett's 5-2 victory at Portland.

"I don't think he's going to play (tonight)," Constantine said. "He hasn't been able to practice yet.

"We thought it would come around and we thought he could play a little with it," Constantine added. "But it's more serious than we thought."

Constantine said there was no timetable for Wheat's return.

Left wing Karel Hromas continues to be sidelined with his cracked collarbone. However, he's made enough progress that he is now participating partially in practices.

Make-up: Tonight's game serves as yet another reminder of the Seattle Seahawks' Super Bowl loss Sunday.

The game at Seattle was not scheduled for tonight. It was originally scheduled for Jan. 22. However, the game was moved so that it wouldn't conflict with the Seahawks' 34-14 victory over Carolina in the NFC Championship Game.

Scouting report: Everett (30-19-2-1) and Seattle (24-22-1-4) play for the sixth time this season tonight. Seattle currently holds the edge, having won three of the previous five, including one shootout victory. The teams play 11 times this season.

Seattle appears to be the only realistic candidate to catch Everett for first place in the U.S. Division. However, the T-birds will have to work fast to accomplish that as Everett holds a 10-point advantage with 20 games remaining. Seattle has one game in hand.

Seattle's offense is led by 19-year-old Slovakians Roman Tomanek (16 goals, 17 assists) and Ladislav Scurko (10 goals, 20 assists). Nineteen-year-old center Aaron Gagnon (14 goals, 13 assists) has picked up his play as of late, having a six-game point streak snapped Saturday.

However, the T-birds may be without their leading goal scorer. Mammoth 20-year-old right wing Ryan Gibbons (17 goals) was suspended indefinitely for an elbowing major against Vancouver on Friday, a hit that left the Giants' second-leading scorer Tim Kraus with a broken jaw.

Seattle's nominal No. 1 goaltender, 20-year-old Bryan Bridges (15-7-1-2, 2.72 goals against average, .913 save percentage), has been yanked from each of his last two starts. Nineteen-year-old Kevin Opsahl has been excellent since arriving via trade from Lethbridge, going 2-2-0-1 with a 1.94 goals against average and .933 save percentage for the T-birds.

Around the WHL: Everett held steady at No. 7 in this week's Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association poll. Medicine Hat took over the top spot from Calgary, earning all 17 first-place votes. Calgary fell one spot to second, Vancouver remained in third. ... Kelowna goaltender Derek Yeomans was named the WHL Player of the Week for Jan. 30-Feb. 5. Yeomans won all three of his starts, including a 2-0 shutout of Everett, surrendering a total of just two goals in the process. ... Medicine Hat goaltender Matt Keetley was named the WHL Player of the Month for January. Keetley was 9-0 in the month, including four shutouts. ... Vancouver received a double blow this week. Not only did the Giants lose Kraus, who is expected to miss six weeks, they also lost defenseman Brendan Mikkelson to season-ending knee surgery. ... The sale of the Portland Winter Hawks has temporarily been put on hold. The sale was expected to be taken under consideration at a board of governors meeting Monday, but was taken off the agenda because the board needed more time to research the potential new owners. The identity of the purchasers has not been revealed.

Tipped Off
02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I think all the fans should show up on Friday at the EEC wearing those Bluemedical breathing masks over their mouth and nose.

Kristi
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I think all the fans should show up on Friday at the EEC wearing those Bluemedical breathing masks over their mouth and nose.

LOL! It probably isn't the "flu" its more like the viral infection I had last week. It completely wipes you out. I could barely get out of bed for 3 days and I am still fighting being tired.