PDA

View Full Version : Scott Niedermayer ????????????

westbeach55
02-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim defenceman Scott Niedermayer has decided that he will not be playing for Canada at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Torino.

Niedermayer, one of Team Canada's top defencemen for almost a decade, has been playing over the last couple of months with a lingering knee injury. His agent says the 32-year-old blueliner will undergo knee surgery during the break.

He suffered a small tear in some cartilage in his right knee in December and had to decide whether to continue playing through the injury, or to use the Olympic break as an opportunity to have arthroscopic knee surgery and minimize the time missed playing with the Ducks.

The 2004 Norris Trophy winner underwent a second MRI last week, and the latest results showed more swelling than before, but not to the point where doctors said surgery is absolutely necessary.

Niedermayer was one of Canada's most experienced blueliners, having played at the 1991 and 1992 World Juniors, the 1996 World Cup, the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics, Canada's 2004 World Championship team and the 2004 World Cup team.

Sources suggest Florida's Jay Bouwmeester is the leading candidate to replace him, although Tampa Bay defenceman Dan Boyle is getting consideration as well.

More to follow.

Triton
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd pick Phaneuf.You can't garner experience unless your given the opportunity.So in 2010 are they gonna use that excuse as well (not enough experience).Put him in now,and help him gain that experience.Bouwmeester is a fine D-man but he doesn't put up points like he was supposed to.If Phaneuf doesn't get the call..I'd call Boyle.

Triton
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Will they need to add 2 defenceman?One for the taxi squad and one for the line-up cause both Spezza and Staal are forwards,so you need a defenceman on the taxi squad right?If thats the case..Boyle on the roster and Phaneuf on the taxi sqaud.

Flathead
02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I agree with Canadian eh, Boyle on the team, Phaneuf on the taxi squad.

Triton
02-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Well it's official,Bouwmeester on the team and Boyle on the Taxi squad.Not sure I like it but he is better defensively than the two...just can't find the net though.

Tinner
02-09-2006, 04:50 PM
i think they made the right picks. Jays skating will or makes the difference between Boyle and Phaneuf, especially on the big ice surface.

Tigerfan96
02-10-2006, 12:01 AM
i think they made the right picks. Jays skating will or makes the difference between Boyle and Phaneuf, especially on the big ice surface.

I cant help but agree. He has proven himself as an asset in international competition...on numerouse occasions. Good pick. While Phaneuf deserves to be there, Jay is a great pick. 2010 there will be no reason for Phaneuf to not be there, he will have added 4 years of NHL play and will have developed.
Congrats to Jay