PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Olympics

Triton
02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Anyone see the opening ceremonies?Boy did Canada have ugly outfits.There was this chick from Kazakhstan,she was yummy looking..mmmm.So yeah thought that I'd start a thread for any Olympic info.

Dwight Schrute
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
good idea go canada go

LifelongChiefsFan
02-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Olympics should be good!!! Can't wait for that curling to start!!!! (Actually curling can be kind of entertaining, but I'm not exactly sure how you win lol.) Really excited about hockey though, if it's anything like the 2002 olympics it should be something special and exciting!

Triton
02-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Well alot of surprises today in men's hockey at the Olympics.Canada only a 7-2 win over Italy?USA/Latvia tied at 3?Slovakia over Russia 5-3?Kazakhstan had their own sticks?I guess a wins a win for Canada but not the most impressive effort.Nice to see Brad Gushue and team Canada bounce back and beat Switzerland in curling (yes I watch curling) after giving up 3 early on and being down 4-1 at one point.They prevailed 7-5 and take a share in the lead with Sweden and GB at 3-1 records.Nice to see as well us getting a bronze in the short track after some athlete from China was DQ.WOW a big 4 medals...for a country that's a winter country we sure aren't doing so great.Hopefully we can get more than a whole bunch of 32nd,56th,9th place finishes.

As a side note,I don't know about you but I'd love to see a steroid Olympics being held with all the Athletes that have been tested positive for any banned substance.

Jimmypop316
02-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Probably the greatest thing ever, Olympic Mens Hockey.

I woke up at 5 today and was shocked to see hockey on. I skipped a college class today to watch the russia/slovakia game. I was in some type of heaven, 4 top class hockey games, and then later tonight some good ol Chiefs action.

Triton
02-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Wow the Swiss knocked off the czechs today.I'm shocked.As well Finland destroyed Italy 6-0.Finland hasn't allowed a goal yet.Kiprusoff who?They got Antero Nittymaki.

Number_4
02-16-2006, 11:08 AM
And Russia beat sweden 5-0 this morning... its getting interesting....

Tinner
02-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I hope they baseball as one of the steriod Olympic sports, 'cus it would be interesting to see how Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa would do!!!

Bonds must not be rid of his 'roids yet, isn't reporting to spring training...yet.

Triton
02-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Team Sweden upsets U.S.A for the right to play in the gold medal game.Wow was Martin unbelievable.3-2 in a shootout,one of the best games I have seen on tv in a long time...other than the world junior finals this year.Congrats Sweden..I especially liked the part when all the women hugged and kissed..every man's dream..mmmm

TheBrass
02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I especially liked the part when all the women hugged and kissed..every man's dream..mmmm

Thank goodness men don't celebrate that way..........I'd never look at a hockey game the same way again. Every man's fantasy = one woman's nightmare. :laugh:

scamperdog
02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
TURIN, Italy (CP) - Canada will not be the home team when it plays for Olympic gold Monday despite outscoring its opposition 42-1 and racking up a 4-0 record.

Sweden, 3-1, will be the home team because Canada was on the home bench in an 8-1 win over the Swedes in the preliminary round.

An International Ice Hockey Federation bylaw states that if ''the teams play each other in any futher round again, the home team will be reversed.''

It's an ironic twist for the Canadian team. The defending champs were criticized for running up the score in the round robin.

The Canadians wanted to ensure if it met the U.S. in the final - and that would have meant the countries would be tied in points - that they would be home team and have right of last line change because of a higher goal differential. But Sweden upset the Americans 3-2 in a shootout semifinal.

The U.S. and Canada have won their pools and met in the final at each and every world championship and Olympic Games, so this scenario had not come up before in the women's game.

Canadian head coach Melody Davidson learned of it at an IIHF meeting Saturday morning.

''It's in some bylaw book that nobody has on their desk or anything we could have read,'' Davidson said Saturday.

But she said her team was still justified in pursuing goals in the round robin.

''You never know who you are going to play and you have to think it's going to be someone from the other pool,'' she said. ''We'll just move ahead.''

Jovorock
02-18-2006, 01:00 PM
If those are the rules then so be it, but usually you are rewarded for having the best record and getting to be home team. Same dummies making those rules as the people that run the NHL?

Triton
02-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Well we won bronze this morning in womens curling.

PINEROLO, Italy (CP) -- Shannon Kleibrink's team from Calgary won an Olympic bronze medal Thursday by defeating Norway 11-5 in women's curling.

The Canadian women had lost in 7-5 in the semifinal to Switzerland a day earlier, but came out blazing for bronze. Kleibrink's rink took four points in the first and fifth ends in a match that was never close.

"It's still a medal -- for us, it's just like gold," a teary-eyed Kleibrink told CBC. "I'm so proud of my team."

Kleibrink scored four in the first end, stole a point in the second and cracked another four in the fifth end for a 9-2 lead. The two countries traded scores of two over the next two ends. Nordby scored one in the eighth and elected to shake hands.

"We had to go for it, we had nothing to lose," Kleibrink said. "The pressure was totally off once we were up five (points)."

Kleibrink's rink of Amy Nixon, Glenys Bakker, Christine Keshen and alternate Sandra Jenkins shook off a 7-5 semifinal loss to Switzerland a day earlier.

The Canadian rink skipped by Kelly Law also won bronze at the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City.

Triton
02-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Goody Gushue

The Canadian crew from St. John's, N.L., routed Finland 10-4 in eight ends in the gold medal match.

PINEROLO, Italy (CP) - Brad Gushue's rink won Canada's first Olympic gold medal in men's curling with a 10-4 victory in eight ends over Finland's Markku Uusipaavalniemi on Friday.

Gushue, third Mark Nichols, second Russ Howard and lead Jamie Korab played an aggressive game and broke the final open in the sixth end by scoring six for a 10-3 lead.

"I'm proud of the guys, it was a tough week but we did it," an emotional Gushue told CBC. "We struggled early, but we brought it on."

Canada controlled the game early for a 4-3 lead after five ends. Two stellar takeouts by third Nichols in the sixth gave Canada control of the house.

Uusipaavalniemi ticked a guard in front of the house with his final shot, leaving Gushue an open draw for seven . Gushue was heavy and put last shot through the house, but that mattered little at that point.

"That six stopped my heart. It hasn't stopped racing," he said.

Gushue blanked the seventh end before Uusipaavalniemi drew to the button for one in the eighth and then conceded. Olympic matches must last eight ends and the Canadians exchanged hugs as the final stone slid down the ice.

Afterwards, someone handed Gushue a phone with his mother Maureen on the other end of the line. She was supposed to be in the stands but couldn't make it because she's fighting bowel cancer.

"I just want to say thanks. I love you all," Gushue said, sobbing. "The support has been overwhelming. Everyone has hung with us all week."

The first half of the game was an entertaining battle with a lot of rocks in play in each end and both countries ran into time problems after five ends because there had been long discussions around some shots.

Each team has 73 minutes to play their 10 ends, plus two timeouts. Finland was about six minutes behind at the halfway mark and Canada was about five minute off the pace.

Canada's strategy was to play aggressively and put up a guard to draw around at the first opportunity. Stones were stacking up through the middle of the house like airplanes on a runway.

Gushue, who throws fourth stones, got more support from his teammates than Uusipaavalniemi, who was forced into making tough shots when he had last-rock advantage. Howard plays second for Canada, but the two-time world champion holds the broom and calls the shots.

Mark Nichols and Howard outcurled their Finnish counterparts and Gushue often put up guards to protect Canadian stones in the house.

Canada forced the hard-throwing Uusipaavalniemi into a finesse game and the Finn struggled with draw weight.

It was a long-awaited gold for Canada after runner-up finishes by Kevin Martin in 2002 and Mike Harris in 1998, when curling returned to the Games as a full-medal sport.

Gushue, Nichols and Korab are all from Newfoundland and Labrador and Howard lives in Moncton, N.B.

www.sportsnet.ca

Flathead
02-25-2006, 12:35 PM
We are in third in the medal count. Behind usa and Germany and followed by Russia. I personally think that this is a huge accomplishment and all atheletes should be very proud. take a look at the numbers that other countries get to draw from, it makes it even more of an accomplishment. Germany 83 million people, usa 300 million people, Russia 144 million people, while we sit in third with only 30 million people to draw from!! If we had 300 million Canadians, I think we would dominate the olympics. Best athletes in the world, right here in Canada! Proud to say "I am Canadian"