PDA

View Full Version : Rockets 2 @ Giants 4 - Feb. 10th

Beaner
02-11-2006, 01:05 AM
A very good game tonight at the PNE, in a division matchup between two very good teams. Game had everything, nice goals, good passing great goaltending, big hits, couple fights. Excellent entertainment for the night. Both teams worked hard, and wanted the win, but the Giants were the better team in the 2nd period and got 2 goals that propelled them to the win. Some huge saves by Yeomans in the 2nd kept the Rockets in the game, and Slade responded in the third with a couple of his own when the Rockets were making their push to tie it.

NOTES
Slade and Yeomans got the Stars.
Fistric returned to the lineup after missing 10 games with a broken ankle.
Mikkelson (knee), Kraus ( Jaw), Rutherford (Shoulder), and Flatters were the Giants scratches.
Shots 30/29 Kelowna
PP's, Giants 1/5, Kelowna 2/4

GOALS
1. KEL Darzins, (10) (Keller), 5:49 (PP) 5-4, Darzins fires a shot from the high slot that beats Slade. Might have been screened.
1. VAN Albers, (15) (Brule, Franson), 10:17 (PP) 5-3, Brule gets a pass from Franson and he spots Albers on the open side, fires a pass, and Albers makes no mistake and puts it into the open net.
1. KEL Card, (11) (Edler, Comeau), 19:59 (PP)5-3, apx. 5 secs left, off a faceoff, puck goes straight back to Edler, who passes to Card who has moved down by the opposite faceoff dot, and he has nothing but open net to shoot at. Couldn't have drawn it on the chalkboard better. 0.2 secs were left on the clock when it went in.
2. VAN Bouma, (1) (Franson), 5:57 Franson stops a clearing attempt at the blue line, throws the puck at the net and Bouma cutting thru the slot deflects it up and over Yeomans, for his first WHL goal.
2. VAN Machacek, (13) (Bouma), 8:05 Bouma flips the puck towards the Rockets zone, bounces off Machaceks chest, thru Edlers legs and Machacek goes right around Edler on the breakway, beating Yeomans glove side high, as Yeomans was still deep in the net.
3. VAN Franson, (14) , 19:46 (EN) A little bank shot off the boards from his own zone, that had enough energy to get in the net that Card just couldn't get to.

FISTICUFFS
Fistric vs. Bodie
After a goal mouth scramble, Fistric gives Bodie a slash, Bodie gives Fistric a shot and the next thing you know the gloves are off. They get in close, each gets a couple shots in, they fall down, and throw a couple more as they are going down. Quick, not much of a fight. Fistric the extra 2 for a slash.

Watt vs. Ofukaney
Watt gets Keller with a high stick, and Ofukany comes int o stand up for his team-mate. Fight is all Watt as he got numerous shots in, Ofukany might have got 2 shots in, but Watt threw a lot of punches and landed a lot more. Ofukaney was getting rag dolled by Watt pretty good in that fight. Ofukany gets the 2/5/10 + 10 for a wardrobe malfunction. Watt gets 2 for the High stick and a 5. WIN: WATT

OFFICIATING
Savage got the call tonight and I am sick of complaining with this incompetent boob. Inconsistent is all I have to say.

OVERALL
Overall, a great game, by 2 evenly matched teams. No team clearly dominated the game, but each team had its momments where they were the better team, followed by the other turning it up a notch. Giants best period was the second period by far, and I felt the Giants sat back a bit in the third and defended too much.

But not a lot too complain about, Giants capitilized when they could and Slade played great when the win was on the line. Nice work ethic by both teams tonight, can't really complain about anyone on the ice tonight.

Should be a great game tomorrow, we all know Kelowna wont want to lose both these games, and the Giants would love to get both wins. Have fun at the game tomorrow.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 14 Lance Bouma
2. KEL - 31 Derek Yeomans
3. VAN - 5 Mark Fistric

How about that Lance Bouma, second WHL game gets a goal and an assist, and had a couple excellent scoring chances. An impressive effort from the 15 yr. old, and he looks great. A very deserving 1st star tonight. Well done Lance. :thumb:

Section_Z
02-11-2006, 01:31 AM
OVERALL
Overall, a great game, by 2 evenly matched teams. No team clearly dominated the game, but each team had its momments where they were the better team, followed by the other turning it up a notch. Giants best period was the second period by far, and I felt the Giants sat back a bit in the third and defended too much.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 14 Lance Bouma
2. KEL - 31 Derek Yeomans
3. VAN - 5 Mark Fistric

I agree, A great game....exciting to the end....didn't feel comfortable to "warm up the bus" until just before Franson scored the insurance goal....
Slacked off way too much on the forecheck in the third....but, it worked....Hay may have had the plan there...Kelowna could have easily tied it up if we were caught too far forward in the offensive zone...
Looking forward to tomorrow night at Prospera....
I only need 1 more point to get my 5 for the week...I hope I'm wrong and we get more...
Good game for Bouma...a couple of you guys called it...Hay was impressed...and he certainly made an impression on the Vancouver Fans including myself tonight....
Not sure why Yeomans got #2....I saw some good chances, but were our scoring Chances that good?
If so that's a good sign.....

Beaner
02-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeomans had some amazing saves in the second, a couple on Repik, and if not for him it could have been 4-2 or 5-2 going into period 3.

He deserved the 2nd star for sure tonight.

Section_Z
02-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Yep, I'll give you that, On the south end you get the benefit of Giants Rocking offence in the first and third....but the 2nd is tough to judge from that far away....Yeomans Is a great goalie....hands down....
Give it up to the lads for putting it by him enough to win the game...

N.W. Bruin
02-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I had looked up at the clock before the faceoff. I remember thinking there was still enough time for something to happen but didn't really expect it.

Knuckles Muldoon
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Terrific game. I thought the play was very even and could have gone either way. Both goalies were real good and there was plenty of physical play. Kudos to the Giants for not allowing any even-strength goals, although they were on the ropes for much of the 3rd period. Great second period by the Giants. Typical strong forechecking by all lines. Great to see Bouma score a nice goal. He looks real good and although only 15, has to be considered for playoff duty here once his AA midget season is complete. Fisty looked good for first game back and did a pretty good job clearing out people around the net. Important for the Giants to get at least a split in these 2 games against the Rockets, so any points tonight is gravy, IMO. Sure would be nice to send a message and take another two, but its a tall order. But then again, this team is capable of just about anything with their work ethic. Hayzer said something about breaking up this 3 in 3 for Slade. Would he take a chance and put Sexsmith in tonight? Should be another great one.

Beaner
02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Slade had a great game, I think we see Sexsmith Sunday vs. Kootenay.

Kassian
02-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Does anybody know why this game wasn't archived? That really sucks. I was looking forward to watching parts of it the following morning. :(

Beaner
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Does anybody know why this game wasn't archived? That really sucks. I was looking forward to watching parts of it the following morning. :(

I have noticed that some of the Teams dont manage to ever get their weekend games up onto the archive until the following Monday or Tuesday, Vancouver especially.

Why that is I have no idea. It's strange that Vancouver never seems to get its weekend home games up on the archive for the next day, considering Insinch has an office right here in Burnaby......

Anyway the game is now up on the archive.

Woops no its not I was looking at the game in Kelowna.

Big Daddy
02-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I've noticed the same thing with archive games.
To all Giants fans, can everyone search their memory banks and come up with a list of games/venues that seem to have problems so I can summarize and send to Insinc at the end of the year? Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the off season.

Kassian
02-13-2006, 06:11 PM
The game is archived now. Thank god, I was having a bad feeling it wouldn't be up. I know a home game against Prince George a couple of months back wasn't archived. That was the one game I missed (due to being really sick) and I planned to just watch it over the internet. Figures it had to be that game that wasn't available/archived. :(