PDA

View Full Version : Civic Center Expansion

Scout
02-14-2006, 06:49 AM
City council is to hold a special vote today on the expansion and improvements to the Civic Center today. It will if passed make the rink into a horseshoe shape adding 600-800 seats. It will also add more suites to the East end of the rink, another concession on the East side and a new curling rink. Also improvements to pretty much everything including the old concession area, Bronco offices and dressing rooms. Total cost is $11-12 million. With the Bronco's future depending on these improvements lets hope the city votes right.

Scout

Toswammi
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes, these improvements need to be done. If concoul wants to wait, great whatever you are just puting the only major tenate in jeopardy. Also the longer they wait, sadly the more expensive it gets. If it doesnt pass this year i am off the rink improvement band wagon, and jumping on the get us a new building bandwagon.

Oh-Vee
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
According to Southwest TV News the expansion has been approved for $11 million.

Flathead
02-14-2006, 12:41 PM
That's the best in Bronco hockey in the last 17 years. Expansion was a must if we wanted to stay in the dub. Great job to everyone involved.

Willis on the Welfare
02-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I have seen some of the designs for the new facility. I call it "new facility" cause we won't recognize the Civic Centre. The added luxury boxes will help with some much needed revenue. Good for Mayor Larson and the rest involved!

Triton
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I have seen some of the designs for the new facility. I call it "new facility" cause we won't recognize the Civic Centre. The added luxury boxes will help with some much needed revenue. Good for Mayor Larson and the rest involved!

Do you have any links to those designs?

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Finally, some construction in this city that doesn't involve the creation of yet another retirement complex!

I agree this is some of the greatest news to hit the Bronco organization in quite some time.

The designs look absolutly fantastic, and top class. Let's not disappoint the city, Bronco fans.

They had enough faith to invest $11 million towards this project, let's not betray their trust and provide low turnouts. Let's pack the rink from here on out!

CrazyGeorge
02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree, I'd like to see the design as well. I've been away from Swift Current for about 5 years now but I still follow the Broncos like I live in the city. The Broncos are a good reason what makes swift current swift current. I think a lot of people would agree to that.

02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Got this from swiftcurrentonline.com.

The other images in the design gave an even greater feel though of the eventual product.

Toswammi
02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Hehe, the curling side looks kinda goofy. Oh well, dont care, we finally got some major upgrades to the building. I hear seating will be around 2900, yeah no lets fill em. Agree with the willis, this place will have the feel of a new facility. Am i to assume that this project starts at the end of this season, with completion hopefully around the start of next year.

02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
From what I understood, the total seats should now be just above 2800 after the expansion, which should be a fair bit more then the 2400 seats we now have.

Also, construction should begin right at the end of the Bronco's playoff run, with construction slated to end in Fall of 2007. Should make for an interesting 2006/2007 season, with construction happening around the rink.

Triton
02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
The plans look good.

Scout
02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm guessing it will be done in a couple of steps. I think they will do part of the expansion before the start of the 2006-2007 and may finish in the spring and summer of 2007. I can't see the construction going on when the season starts next year. First will be the horseshoe addition and maybe the boxes. I think they will plan the first faze to be done by the season start. I'm only guessing on this but it makes sense so the season is not interupted.

Scout

dubfan
02-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Thats great news for Swift Current and area. The "horseshoe" design is almost perfect withthe BRONCO name. The OHIO State Football stadium is refered to as the Horseshoe it would be excellent for the new complex to be refered unofficially as the HORSESHOE, the seating design could add a lot of excitement to the arena. Will there be a video score clock?

Scout
02-15-2006, 06:55 AM
They announced the adding of the horseshoe and new seating will be done this summer. The curling rink is slated for next year. Hoping the luxury boxes will also be part of this years plan. As for the second concession area, i'm guessing that will be on next years plan. I also heard the old concession and intermission area are also getting a face-lift. The exterior design looks awesome but not sure if that is this year or next.

Scout