PDA

View Full Version : Carey Price: Continuing the Legacy

Stay-Puft
02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
By Shane Malloy | NHL.com correspondent
Feb. 6, 2006

The Montreal Canadiens have had a long and proud tradition of goaltending and the Habs' first round (fifth-overall pick) in 2005 got a glimpse of that legacy over the summer. The gifted Carey Price, who currently tends goal for the Tri-City Americans of the Western Hockey League, has the capability to be the next franchise goalie in Montreal.

When you look at the names and faces that adorn the Canadiens' dressing room that have gone on to glory in Montreal, it intensifies the significance of the situation.

"Well, the legacy can be intimidating if you let it," Price said. "You cannot think about trying to live up to what other people have done. Instead, try and make your own name for yourself."

That lofty level of expectation and the intense glare of the spotlight has crushed weaker individuals. Someone who knows all about it is retired Vezina Trophy winner Charlie Hodge who tended the net in Montreal for eight seasons. "I think that the netminders that go through Montreal put the pressure on themselves," Hodge said. "All they want to do is be one of those faces on the wall in the locker room."

For most young netminders, the passion and dedication emanating from themselves and their families are the main components contributing to later success. Price's case is no different, as his parents had to drive him up to 200 miles, three times a week to get him to practice and minor hockey games. The mention of his parents' commitment allows him to reflect on how important they have been in his life. "I am fortunate to have great parents who are always there and my success is because of them," Price said.
The Philadelphia Flyers drafted Price's father, Jerry, in 1978 in the eighth round, so it is easy to see where Price' passion for the game comes from. His father never suited up in the NHL, but played four seasons of pro hockey in various leagues. His mother, Lynda, is the Chief of the Ulkatcho First Nation and that gave him understanding of dedication and commitment first hand.
Price's junior career began with the Quesnel Millionaires of the British Columbia Hockey League in 2002?03 after coming from AAA midget in Williams Lake. His brief, 11-game stint in the BCHL was enough to fan the competitive flames as Price moved on to the Tri-City Americans in the Western Hockey League the following season.

The first two seasons there were a tremendous learning experience and Price showed in his rookie season that he could become an elite goaltender. His playoff performance in 2004 drew rave reviews as he posted a .937 save percentage and a 2.21 goals-against average, despite his team losing the series in five games.

During the summer of 2004, Price got his first taste of international success at the Junior World Cup in the Czech Republic. He backstopped the Team Canada U-18 team to a gold medal by allowing only five goals and a posting a perfect 4-0-0 record.

Price's first full season as a starter in Tri-City was 2004-05. He felt this was the turning point where he began to develop at a higher learning curve. The catalyst for this change was when Washington Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig became the goaltending consultant in 2004, during the NHL lockout, and the new owner of the team in 2005. Price credits Kolzig for his recent development.

"He helped me a lot on and off the ice. He gave me a lot of technical advice," said Price, who felt just by being around Kolzig on a consistent basis gave him valuable insight. "I also learned a lot about being competitive from him, you can learn a lot about being an athlete just by watching one."

It was a challenging 2004-05 season in Tri-City where Price managed to keep his club in every game after posting a .920 save percentage and eight shutouts. The Americans were nine games under .500 and the offense just could not find a way to support their goaltender.

In April, 2005, Price took his show on the road again, suiting up for Canada at the 2005 IIHF World U-18, once again hosted in the Czech Republic. This time he led Canada to a silver medal, sporting a 2-2-0 record and a 2.65 GAA.
His hard work paid off in July at the NHL Entry Draft with the Canadiens taking him early in the first round.

"I was shocked that I went that high, I had heard from my agent that I would probably go after the 10th pick," Price said. "It is great honor for me to be chosen by a such a franchise and I will work hard for the team and the fans."
The busy summer did not end as he was invited to the 2006 World Junior Championships Team Canada evaluation camp in August and Montreal's training camp in September. It was at the Montreal camp where he got his first opportunity for a brief glimpse of his future.

"I learned a lot about what it takes to be a professional athlete, your dedication ... if you want to have a long and successful career," said Price.
Price was very appreciative of Jose Theodore and the way he took him under his wing through camp. "Jose helped me in a lot of aspects, especially how to work with the media. Everyone knows the Canadians have some of the most complete team coverage in the NHL," said Price.

"He also helped me a lot with how to adjust to the speed of the game, like holding your ground a split-second longer so you do not caught out of position," Price said of the lessons learned from the Hart Trophy winner.
The 2005-06 WHL season started soon after the Habs' camp and Price faced struggles as his team under-performed.

"It's adversity that makes you a good player and professional players do something about it and the rest give up.," Price said.

With a few more years before he hits the bright lights and big city of Montreal to don the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge, Price's next few seasons will be ones to watch. This 6-foot-2, 222-pounder has the physical skills and the mental makeup to have his name chanted by the Canadiens faithful. The remainder of his junior career will be spent chasing WJC gold and a Memorial Cup championship. It remains to be seen the path Price will take, but the challenge to contribute to the Montreal goaltending legacy will drive him onward.