PDA

View Full Version : Crucial weekend series

Triton
02-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Moore reaches milestone Friday

Brandon, Manitoba -- A critical Western Hockey League home and home weekend series between the visiting Prince Albert Raiders and Wheat Kings begins Friday night at Brandon's Keystone Centre.

Winners of four of their past six games, including Wednesday's 3-2 victory over the Prince George Cougars, the Wheat Kings enter the weekend battle with a record of 22-27-5-3, good for 52 points and a four point lead on the Raiders for the fourth and final playoff spot in the WHL's Eastern Division.

Of Brandon's fifteen remaining regular season games - four will be against the Raiders - including three at the Keystone. In addition to tonight's game, the Wheat Kings will host Prince Albert in a 2-game series on Wednesday and Friday, March 1st and 3rd - a series that could go a long way in determining who will earn a berth into the playoffs. The Wheat Kings are hoping to qualify for the post-season party for the thirteenth time in the last fourteen years.

Tonight is the seventh meeting of the season between these two teams. Brandon is currently 3-2-1 against Prince Albert and 1-0-1 at home. During the 6-game season series, veteran Mark Derlago (3-2-5) and rookie Tyler Dittmer (1-4-5) lead Brandon in scoring while netminder Tyler Plante has posted a 2.55 goals against average and a .919 save percentage in five appearances against the Raiders.

Brandon product Mike Hellyer meanwhile leads the Raiders in scoring, with two goals and 7 points in six games. Former Regina Pat Jesse Deckert has appeared in five of the six games, compiling a 2.80 goals against average and a .914 save percentage.

After back to back "winning months", the Wheat Kings are currently 4-3-0 in February, while the Raiders, who are coming off Wednesday's 5-1 win over the visiting Swift Current Broncos, are coming off their longest home stand of the season - 7 games. During that stretch, Prince Albert was 4-3-0.

Wheat Kings' captain Teegan Moore will be playing in his 250th career WHL game Friday night, while Plante enters the weekend three games shy of the century mark.

After attracting their second lowest crowd of the season on Wednesday, the Wheat Kings will be hoping for a large, noisy turnout tonight.

Triton
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Great game guys.Nice to see you take 3 out of 4 points on the weekend.Really were able to shut down the raiders with a physical presence tonight.If we could actually kill a penalty and score on the PP,we could really turn some heads.I still find it amazing how we average giving up 2 PP goals a game and never scoring on the PP,yet finding ways to win.Just imagine if we could turn those two special teams around.Well Regina,you stopped the streak against the Warriors.Hopefully that gives you some confidence to come here tomorrow night and beat the Raiders.Us Wheatking fans will be cheering you on.GO! PATS.

Triton
02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Is it just me or is it that the guys we were giving a hard time to now key components to our team?Topilko seems like after every injury he comes to play hard.Dittmer has turned out to be a very good player for a rookie.Next season he should put up solid points.I think we will have a very good team next season.Courchene has stepped it up lately both physically and offensively.I do wish that Hallick and Aulie could play more.Does anyone think we will see Sanfred King this year at all?Or Green?I liked what Lockerby brought to the table as well.I'am so excited what we could have for a line-up next season...

Possible line-up for next season:

Goaltenders:Plante,Jory

Defenceman:Erb,Kohn,Yeo,Aulie,Boyle,Louis,Lenoski( 20)

Forwards:Kauk,Dittmer,Moore(20)Hallick,Reaves,Clar k,Derlago(20),Sandell(Euro),Strautman(could be gone),Burki

Gone:Courchene,Topilko,Hunter,Strautman,Wikner,and Day

Rookies:Another euro,Hale,Robak,King,Green,Lockerby,Fehr,Grill,Toe ws(if he shows),McLean,Caliguiri or Chivilo or even Hayes.

I don't know about you but this looks promising.We could contend for the division with that line-up.Although Regina will be decent as well.Keep up the good work Brandon.

Joe Hallenback
02-19-2006, 10:01 PM
You forgot about Burki :p

Ya we should have a great team next year. If the offensive gets better we should challenge for top spot.

I think King,Hale and Robak will be our 16 year olds

Triton
02-20-2006, 12:46 AM
You forgot about Burki :p

Ya we should have a great team next year. If the offensive gets better we should challenge for top spot.

I think King,Hale and Robak will be our 16 year olds

I added Burki.