PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 @ T-birds 0 Feb. 17

Beaner
02-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Another excellet game from the Giants tonight, as the first period was pretty even play wise, but the Giants dominated the 2nd and third periods and completely shut down the T-Birds. Bridges kept the T-birds in the game thru 2, but the birds could just not get anything going against the Vancouver D.

Vancouver fans were of course waiting for the Giants to get a little payback on Gibbons tonight, but the Giants were focusing on the win and once the game got to be about 4-0, Gibbons never saw the ice again.

NOTES
Slade and Bridges got the starts tonight
Giants got their first 40th win season in franchise history.
Slade got his 9th shut-out of the year.
Giants only dressed 16 skaters again tonight, Seattle only dressed 17.
Mikkelson (Knee), Watt (Shoulder), Rutherford (Shoulder), Kraus (Jaw), Reese (Shoulder) were the Giants scratches.
Scharff had to be helped off the Ice after taking a sucker punch from Olsen at the end of the game. No word on how he is, but Joey and Bill were saying he is more than likely will not play tomorrow based on how he was taken off the ice.
Shots 45/25 Giants
PPs' Giants 1/7, T-bird 0/5

GOALS
1. VAN Brule, (12) (Albers, Bartley), 19:21 (PP) Albers sends a pass to Brule at the faceoff dot and Brule one times a slapshot that blows right by Bridges.
2. VAN Fistric, (5) (Slade), 1:17 Fistric takes the puck from his own zone, all the way to the T-birds blue line and he just fires a bullet that beats Bridges High.
3. VAN Lucic, (9) (Repik, Brule), 9:54 Good forecheck from the Giants and Lucic ends up coming out form the corner all alone and he puts a backhand on net that beats Bridges.
3. VAN Brule, (13) (Fistric), 12:32 Brule gets a pass from Fistric skates into the zone, goes right thru the Dman and throws it at the net that Bridges catches 90% of but it manages to trickle thu him.
3. VAN Bliznak, (8) (Blum), 15:56 Point shot from Blum that Bliznak deflects right in front of Bridges

END OF GAME INCIDENT
So with about 9.8 secs remaining and a faceoff deep in the Giants zone, Bench boss Sumner throws McEwan and Olson on the ice. Puck goes to the front of the net, both Olson and McEwan crash the net, a melee of course ensues and everyone pairs up. Scharff is with Olson, they are mostly talking about going but neither has the gloves off. Festerling ditches his guy and goes over to break up Scharff and Olson. Mostly everyone else is pushing and shoving just jawing away.

Then while Festerling/Scharff and Olson are jawing at each other, Olson from out of nowhere, throws a short jab right on the button of Scharff, that knocks Scharff out cold and he crumples to the ice. Scharff was down on the ice for several minutes, and had to be helped off the ice.

3 - VAN Bliznak, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - VAN Festerling, 20:00 - Major-Fighting , 5 min
3 - VAN Franson, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - SEA Klinkhammer, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - VAN Lamb, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - SEA McEwan, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - SEA Olson, 20:00 - Major-Fighting , 5 min
3 - SEA Richard, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - SEA Schappert, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - VAN Scharff, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min
3 - VAN Slade, 20:00 - Roughing , 2 min

I am going to have to watch the end of the game again when the archive goes up, a it happened so fast I only caught a glimpse of it.

FISTICUFFS
Festerling vs. Olson
After Olson sucker punches Scharff, Festerling goes in and drops the gloves with Olson. Not many punches thrown as Festerling throws Olson up against the galass, and pins him there, mostly wrestling, and the linesman get in quick to break it up. NO DECISION. **Please see post below for better recap after watching the tape again**

OFFICIATING
Pat Smith got the call tonight, and did a nice job, in a game where it could have got out of hand very quick. Nothing he could have done about the end of the game incident.

INTERNET FEED
Had a few problems to start with choppiness, but was good the rest of the night. Commentators were fine.

OVERALL
Happy to see that the Giants focused on job one tonight, getting the win. As I said earlier the Giants completely dominated the game after the 1st as Seattle could just not stop Vancouver and could barely get anything going themselves. Both teams kept the stupidity that could have ensued in check until the final second, when the Seattle bench boss put out the goons to mix things up with a faceoff in the Giants zone with less than 10 seconds left.

A classless move by Sumner tonight at the end of the game considering that he had parked Gibbons firmly on the bench once the Giants had the 4-0 lead. Myself I was gaining some respect for Sumner for parking Gibbons so no stupidity would happen but sending out the goon squad to just be idiots just caused me to lose any respect I had for Sumner.

This could make for an extremely rough game tomorrow as these two teams meet again tommorrow night.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 17 Gilbert Brule
2. VAN - 5 Mark Fistric
3. VAN - 37 Dustin Slade

Congrats of course to the Giants being the first team int he Western conference to clinch a playoff spot, and for overtaking MH for 2nd overall.

Beaner
02-18-2006, 01:14 PM
OK, have to make some adjustments to my original recap about the end of game incident, now that I have had a chance to watch it again.

Play is moving along puck comes into the crease and Slade freezes it at the side of the net, with about 1 odd second left. McEwan takes a couple jabs it as the horn goes, which Slade takes exception too.

Slade jumps up grabbing McEwan, and mixing it up and then of course everyone else on the ice, jumps in and does a bunch of pushing and shoving. Linesman grab Slade and take him off the ice.

Olsen ends up grabbing and shaking Scharff, but Scharff really wants nothing to do with him and he has his back turned to Olsen as Olsen has grabbed onto him. Olsen is giving Scharff a couple gloved face washes etc. and Festerling is off by himself without a partner.

Festerling comes into the Olsen/Scharff shoving contest, to try and break it up I think. As Festerling comes in Olsen has ditched both of his gloves, all 3 are talking and then Olsen delivers a full on right cross to the side of Scharffs head, with both Festerling and Scharff having a piece of his jersey. Scharff goes immediatley to the ice, and Festerling shoves Olsen to the boards.

Olsen and Festerling wrestle for a fair bit, as Festerling is just trying to tie Olsen up, but Olsen manages to finally get position and hits Festerling with a couple uppercuts, and then hits Festerling with a couple shots to the top of the head as Festerling goes to his knees. A clear win for Olsen in this fight.

Kassian
02-18-2006, 03:12 PM
What the hell is Don Hay thinking? He knows that Seattle is going to put out McEwan and Olson for the final face off. So he puts out nobody with toughness and Scharff ends up getting punched and hurt and Festerling has to get into a fight with a tough guy like Olson. Why Lucic wasn't out there is beyond me. Not very bright on Hay's part...

Oh well. Hopefully Lucic will go right after Olson tonight. Hopefully the result will be a repeat of the last time these two fought. :clap:

GF71
02-18-2006, 06:06 PM
What the hell is Don Hay thinking? He knows that Seattle is going to put out McEwan and Olson for the final face off. So he puts out nobody with toughness and Scharff ends up getting punched and hurt and Festerling has to get into a fight with a tough guy like Olson. Why Lucic wasn't out there is beyond me. Not very bright on Hay's part...

Oh well. Hopefully Lucic will go right after Olson tonight. Hopefully the result will be a repeat of the last time these two fought. :clap:

Give Hay credit for not gooning it up. Lucic was not out for obvious reasons. Fingers should be pointed at Sumner for his bush league tactics. What an ass. :mad: I hope he gets a big fine for his bush league crap.

nelson951
02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Slade using his stick randomly. His is the cause of the skirmish, all your other players walked away initially.

Big Daddy
02-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Slade using his stick randomly. His is the cause of the skirmish, all your other players walked away initially.

You forgot to mention Olson's sucker punch. He got his tonight though! Something wrong with Gibbons if his coach has to protect a 6'5" 20 year old tonight by not having him on the ice when our tough guys are out. Sounds like he's got eggs in his pants. Maybe he only lays the cheap shots and not much else. Besides SCOREBOARD!!! :laugh: :clap:

rinkrat
02-19-2006, 01:09 AM
He's actually 21 (Jan 1st/85),but your right,he is gutless.He had his sister there in his jersey trash talkin' the Giants fans.lol :clap:

Kassian
02-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Give Hay credit for not gooning it up. Lucic was not out for obvious reasons. Fingers should be pointed at Sumner for his bush league tactics. What an ass. :mad: I hope he gets a big fine for his bush league crap.

Totally disagree. It has nothing to do with "gooning it up". Seattle put out their toughness and he counters with absolutely nothing. Luckily Scharff wasn't injured too badly so in the end it didn't cause that much of a problem. But he should've been smarter than that and put somebody out on the ice that can take care of themselves just incase it did get out of hand. Not a very good coaching strategy for a guy that has been around as long as Hay...

rinkrat
02-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Totally disagree. It has nothing to do with "gooning it up". Seattle put out their toughness and he counters with absolutely nothing.
Seattle had the last change,it was in their barn.Hay is not able to "counter".

Beaner
02-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Totally disagree. It has nothing to do with "gooning it up". Seattle put out their toughness and he counters with absolutely nothing. Luckily Scharff wasn't injured too badly so in the end it didn't cause that much of a problem. But he should've been smarter than that and put somebody out on the ice that can take care of themselves just incase it did get out of hand. Not a very good coaching strategy for a guy that has been around as long as Hay...

I agree, sort of, but I also wish that Scharff would just drop the gloves every once in a while and go at it. If he had just gone with Olson to start with he probably would have got beat, but he wouldnt have got sucker punched.

He just doesnt seem to want to fight anyone for whatever reason that is.

Don may have been keeping the tough guys on the bench, because he knew he couldnt afford to lose any more players to a suspension if a line brawl broke out.

Kassian
02-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Seattle had the last change,it was in their barn.Hay is not able to "counter".

It doesn't matter. Hay should know better anyway and put some grit out on the ice just incase. It's better to be safe than sorry...

Kassian
02-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Don may have been keeping the tough guys on the bench, because he knew he couldnt afford to lose any more players to a suspension if a line brawl broke out.

Fair enough. And of course I thought about that as well. But it isn't like I'm saying Hay should put out those guys to specifically start some sort of altercation. Just have them out there incase things get a little out of hand. A guy like Scharff could've been hurt much worse. If someone like Lucic was out there, Olson would've never had the chance to get involved with either Scharff or Festerling.

nelson951
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Scharff dropped em and paid then Festerling was 3rd man in and got tuned too. You still owned Seattle this season so stop yer whining

Kassian
02-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Scharff dropped em and paid then Festerling was 3rd man in and got tuned too. You still owned Seattle this season so stop yer whining

Actually no. Scharff didn't drop his gloves. And after he was punched Festerling jumped in to his defense. There was no "3rd man in". I don't know what the hell you are talking about there...

Carebear
02-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I agree, sort of, but I also wish that Scharff would just drop the gloves every once in a while and go at it. If he had just gone with Olson to start with he probably would have got beat, but he wouldnt have got sucker punched.

He just doesnt seem to want to fight anyone for whatever reason that is.

I think Scharff might be afraid of getting hurt or something now.
I was at game next to the penalty box, he was in it, some guy behind me said "SCHARFF, FIGHT HIM!"..and Scharff turned to us and said "no way, I'm not stupid, he'll kill me".
Guess maybe he's just not a fighter anymore.

GF71
02-19-2006, 10:39 PM
He never was a fighter. :D

Carebear
02-19-2006, 11:09 PM
He never was a fighter. :D

Showed me! ;)

hahaha, I'm a new fan, just started really following them this year, but from some above comments I got the impression that he was.

Beaner
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Showed me! ;)

hahaha, I'm a new fan, just started really following them this year, but from some above comments I got the impression that he was.

Couldnt have picked a better time to follow the Giants, welcome aboard. :groovy:

Carebear
02-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Couldnt have picked a better time to follow the Giants, welcome aboard. :groovy:

Thanks!
I saw a couple games last year during the NHL Lockout..and thought, holy crap, look what I've been missing!

So nice to see guys who are trying their hardest ALL THE TIME, not slacking off (*ahem Canucks*).

So my friend and I try to go to at least 1 game a month, HOPING to get seasons tickets next year (if she can save up enough money).

:D

nelson951
02-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Actually no. Scharff didn't drop his gloves. And after he was punched Festerling jumped in to his defense. There was no "3rd man in". I don't know what the hell you are talking about there...
Iwas there he dropped em and got dropped then put on a pathetic show

Kassian
02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Iwas there he dropped em and got dropped then put on a pathetic show

Good for you. I assume you were sitting up in the nosebleeds because once again Scharff did not drop his gloves. I've watched the video several times and I can even post it here if you need me to prove you wrong once again.

Knuckles Muldoon
02-21-2006, 12:55 AM
Good for you. I assume you were sitting up in the nosebleeds because once again Scharff did not drop his gloves. I've watched the video several times and I can even post it here if you need me to prove you wrong once again.
I wouldn't mind seeing it....

nelson951
02-21-2006, 01:05 AM
No nosebleeds at Key

Get over it, he obviously wasn't hurt that bad. :turkey:

Kassian
02-21-2006, 02:23 AM
No nosebleeds at Key

Get over it, he obviously wasn't hurt that bad. :turkey:

That isn't the point. The fact is he didn't drop the gloves. That was the original debate.