PDA

View Full Version : Shoot outs

HAF
02-18-2006, 02:19 AM
During the summer and even early into the 05-06 season the topic of shoot outs seemed like a pretty sore subject around here and through out the rest of the league. I wasnt real crazy about the idea either...
Now that we are on the down hill stretch of the season has anyones opinions of the shoot outs been changed at all? Do you think they should stay or would you like to see them go?
I'm interested in what everyone really thinks now that we have all seen some of them. Personally, I've kind of enjoyed them from a spectator point of view.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Overall, the fans seem to love the shootouts. Adds more excitement to the game. I was in favor of the shootout since the beginning of the season though. It was my opinion that if the game was going to end in a tie anyway, why not give out the extra point and add a little excitement to the end of the game. Is it a little gimicky? Perhaps, but the overall excitement that it does indeed bring is fantastic, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the shootouts that I have seen so far this year. I hope they keep them!!

Sput
02-18-2006, 03:51 AM
The shootouts haven't been as bad as I thought they would be. I still think its a lousy way to loose a game, but its better than all the ties. At least the extra point gets rewarded to someone.

Tinner
02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Yes, from the fans point of view the shoot-outs are popular. Its also a lousy way to lose a game. Here's something to think about though. Somehow, if they can make something work the promotes scoring rather than teams sitting back, playing a defensive zone, doing the same in OT hoping to get to the shoot-out because they have the better players to score and a goalie the loves the shoot-out.

We have witnessed teams that play for the point first (tie), then worry about the extra point later.

Beaner
02-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Very exciting from a marketing point of view the shoot-outs are a great feature, sucks to lose that way, but its still very, very, exciting.

We have witnessed teams that play for the point first (tie), then worry about the extra point later.

Yes, very exciting but a change to the scoring system may be in order now that we have a winner every single game.

Couple thoughts.

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime win
1 point for a shoot-out win

no points for a loss, period.

or,

2 point for a regulation win
2 for OTW 1 for OTL
1 point for Shoot-out win. 0 for Shoot-out loss.

I like the first option, although it would screw up all the record books. But I think rewarding teams for winning in Regulation is a better option. There is tal NHL may change the scoring system themselves, you may just see a change for next year.

RunTheGoalie
02-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Teams playing for the tie first has been a problem since the overtime losers point was introduced. The Shootout has not changed this. This was, in my opinion, one of the worst rule changes the NHL (and therefore the CHL) has ever made. The guaranteed point for getting to OT has led to a massive increase in the number of overtime games becuase teams play defensive hockey in the third period. This has led to a significant decrease in the quality of games.

As far as the shootout itself goes, I can't stand it, and even though it has benefitted the Hitmen greatly this year, I would be most happy if this joke of a gimmick went away. However, since it is here to stay, I would much rather at least that the losers point is done away with.

a 3-2-1-0 W-OTW-OTL-L system would mitigate this problem somewhat. However, I would prefer a straight win-loss system. No half points, no half wins, no half losses. You win, or you lose. Nothing else.

Toswammi
02-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Yikes!!! shoot-outs, you aint going to find very many bronco fans that really love it. I for one hate shoot-outs (probably cause the boys in swift never win em). As far as the point structure, how many times can you change it, i mean it has changed a few times the last 3/4 years. Leave it be, i dont mine playing for ot, (again look at the time i cheer for, will take points any way they can get it).

Beaner
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
a 3-2-1-0 W-OTW-OTL-L system would mitigate this problem somewhat. However, I would prefer a straight win-loss system. No half points, no half wins, no half losses. You win, or you lose. Nothing else.

I could live with a 2 points for a win nothing you lose system, no matter when you win, I just dont see the leagues adapting it.

Flathead
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Still against them in all aspects. They have no place in hockey, as hockey is a team sport and a shoot out has a zero "team aspect" about it. Boo to the shoot out! :dead:

RunTheGoalie
02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Teams playing for the tie first has been a problem since the overtime losers point was introduced. The Shootout has not changed this. This was, in my opinion, one of the worst rule changes the NHL (and therefore the CHL) has ever made. The guaranteed point for getting to OT has led to a massive increase in the number of overtime games becuase teams play defensive hockey in the third period. This has led to a significant decrease in the quality of games.

As if to prove my point, the Saskatoon Blades tonight, a team that has no concept of defense whatsoever, fell into a shell in the last 5 minutes of the third just trying to hold onto that guaranteed point. Classic example of how that rule has deteriorated the quality of play.