PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumble affair

Jovorock
02-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Bryant Gumble said on his HBO show that the winter olympics are a joke because the best athletes in the world aren't there. African American athletes aren't there and has so much white athletes.

What do you think of his statement?

Beaner
02-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Bryant Gumble said on his HBO show that the winter olympics are a joke because the best athletes in the world aren't there. African American athletes aren't there and has so much white athletes.

I think he is trying to stir up _________. Its a stupid statement, and doesn't deserve my attention.

scamperdog
02-18-2006, 12:48 PM

I watched an African American win the gold today in speed skating today, maybe he is complaining to soon

Associated Press
Posted: 6 minutes ago

TURIN, Italy (AP) - Shani Davis became the first black to win an individual gold medal in Winter Olympic history on Saturday, capturing the men's 1,000-meter speedskating race. Joey Cheek made it a 1-2 American finish, adding a silver to his victory in the 500.
Erben Wennemars of the Netherlands captured the bronze.

Chad Hedrick, skating the weakest of his individual events, put up an early time that stood until Davis bested it in the 19th of 21 pairs with a time of 1 minute, 8.89 seconds.

Hedrick ended sixth in only the seventh 1,000 race of his career.

Davis came under scrutiny for skipping the team pursuit - especially when the Hedrick-led squad was knocked out in the quarterfinals, doomed by a slow skater who might not have been on the ice if Davis was available.

But Davis, world record holder in the 1,000, wanted to focus on his signature event and it certainly paid off.

After crossing the line and spotting his time, the first - and ultimately only - skater to break 1:09 on the slow Turin ice, Davis thrust his right fist in the air. As he coasted along the back straightaway, he raised both arms toward the roof of the Olympic oval, then put his hands on his head in obvious relief.

There were still two more pairs to go - four skaters, all capable of knocking off Davis.

Cheek went in the next group and came the closest, fading a bit at the end for a time 1:09.16. Five days earlier, he dominated the shortest race on the schedule and donated his $25,000 (?21,000) bonus to a charity run by speedskating icon Johann Olav Koss.

This time, he'll be forking over $15,000 (?12,500) to Koss. Dutch stars Wennemars and Jan Boss went in the final pair, but neither caught the Americans. Wennemars grabbed the bronze in 1:09.32, with Bos another tenth of a second behind, but only good enough for fifth.

Davis and Hedrick were the most intriguing figures on the ice.

Davis has dominated the 1,000 on the World Cup circuit and skated the fastest time ever last November in Salt Lake City. Hedrick is dominant at the longer distances, but decided to skate the 1,000 at Turin in hopes of challenging Eric Heiden's record of five gold medals at one Winter Olympics.

Hedrick passed the first test with a dominating win in the 5,000, but his hopes of picking up a medal in team pursuit were severely damaged when Davis decided not to skate. The U.S. was upset by the Italians in the quarterfinals, even though Hedrick was clearly the strongest skater on the ice.

Asked after the 1,000 if he was happy for Davis, Hedrick replied pointedly:

"I'm happy for Joey."

Jovorock
02-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I guess Davis and Iginla aren't true African Americans enough for this idiot? It's a stupid statement to make, if African Americans were better at winter sports than white athletes then they would be there. The best atheletes go to the game, doesn't matter about color of skin.

Using Gumbles's logic, I guess I can say there isn't enough white athletes representing China and Japan in the Winter Olympics! :confused: