PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tiger Fans

Beaner
02-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Watching the Hitmen and Tigers game tonight I noticed something about the rink that sparked a question, maybe one of you know the answer.

The benches at the Tiger arena are quite obviously different in size, and with different door locations etc. according to the rulebook,

Rule 9. Players' Benches

(a) Each rink shall be provided with seats or benches for the use of players of both Teams. The accommodations provided, including benches and doors, MUST be uniform for both Teams. Such seats or benches shall have accommodation for at least fourteen (14) persons of each Team. The benches shall be placed immediately alongside the ice as near to the center of the rink as possible. Two doors for each bench must be uniform in location and size and as convenient to the dressing rooms as possible.

Each players' bench should be twenty-four feet (24') in length and when situated in the spectator area, they shall be separated from the spectators by a protective glass of sufficient height so as to afford the necessary protection for the players. The players' benches shall be on the same side of the playing surface opposite the penalty bench and should be separated by a substantial distance, if possible.

(NOTE) Each players' bench shall have two doors which must be uniform in location and size. ("Mirrored image benches") All doors opening to the playing surface shall be constructed so that they swing inward.

Has any opposing coach ever brought this up? Has MH received some kind of pass becuase it is an older building?

I know they arent the only rink with the benches on opposite sides, but the size difference is quite large, and the MH bench having doors at both blue lines is a very distinct advantage.

Just curious.

peatfan
02-20-2006, 03:05 AM
In the old Winnipeg Arena, we (Winnipeg) had the pentaly box right beside the players bench, while the vivitors had to skate across the ice (like almost all do now). Big advantage for Winnipeg. Also our gates was right by the blue line and the other past center ice while the visitors had theirs by the blueline(no dif) but just at the red line, so ours was closer to the nets. Winnipeg got the excemption by the NHL as it was an old building and I'm sure that this is the same reason for Medicine Hat. I could say that they need all the help they can get but since they beat my HITMEN tonight I'll won;t say that. Can't wait until the East finals. HITMEN over HAt in 7.( a classic series)

Beaner
02-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah thats what I assumed, just wonder if the coach of an opposition team has ever brought it up during a playoff series. Thanks.

Chuckles
02-25-2006, 11:50 AM
. Can't wait until the East finals. HITMEN over HAt in 7.( a classic series)

Maybe a little to confidant i could easliy see an up set in the first round with whoever makes the play offs out of swift or red deer hope its the bronco's but both are playing hot hockey and look back a couple years taht what it can take to knock off a team in the first round. plus Swift has got some good goaltending.. but i guess thats just a little biest.. but i could see up set somewere in first.. I personally think the hat is a better team than calgary but playoffs change everything