PDA

View Full Version : No Rest For Tips - Article

Tipped Off
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - Everett Herald

No rest for the Silvertips

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - It was all business for the Everett Silvertips when they returned to practice Tuesday. There were no excess smiles, no air of accomplishment or self satisfaction.

No, there was little indication the Silvertips were coming off a pivotal week that went about as well as possible.

A perfect 3-for-3 week may have extended Everett's lead atop the WHL's U.S. Division, but the Tips don't want to rest on their laurels.

"When you play three games and get six points, you can't get any better than that," Everett center Mark Kress said. "Everyone's still pretty jacked, but there's still 14 games left and anything can happen. It's always good to have a little bit of a cushion, but it can change in a heartbeat. You want to keep going, you never want to look back at a cushion."

Everett went into last week peeking over its shoulder. Seattle had pulled within seven points, had a game in hand, and the T-birds had five more cracks at Everett, beginning last Tuesday.

But once the week was over, Everett had snapped its three-game losing streak to Seattle, the T-birds' game in hand was gone, and the Tips had stretched their lead to 11.

"It was an important week," Constantine said. "Our guys did a good job. The games were all close, but we did what we needed to do to win."

Perhaps as important as the results was Everett's improved play. The Tips went into the week in a rut, playing lethargic and losing four of their previous six. But Everett upped its energy level to re-establish its double-digit lead atop the division.

"It's always good to improve and get the results, but the ultimate goal is just improving our game," Kress said. "I think we played pretty good, and we had the results we wanted as we improved."

However, Constantine was quick to caution against reading too much into last week's results.

"We were a little healthier and we were at home, and that barely got us wins," he said. "Now we're headed into a stretch where we play more on the road and I don't know about our health. We still have lots of hurdles to get over here before we can settle down. We have a long road ahead of us yet."

And Seattle still has four more chances head-to-head to eat into Everett's lead, beginning Friday in Seattle.

Hat trick: Ever wonder what the players do with the hats that come cascading onto the ice after scoring a hat trick?

Peter Mueller provided a little insight after he scored three goals in Friday's 6-3 victory over the Spokane Chiefs.

"I don't get them, I think they give them to charity," Mueller said following his third hat trick of the season. "They gave me one at the beginning of the year and it was a University of Minnesota hat. They put it at my stall the next day and gave me some grief for that."

Of course, Mueller was originally committed to play for Minnesota before forfeiting his NCAA eligibility to play for Everett.

Around the WHL: Everett remained entrenched in seventh in this week's Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association poll. Vancouver, Medicine Hat and Calgary remained in the top three spots, respectively, with the Giants earning all 14 first-place votes. ... Vancouver center Gilbert Brule was named the WHL Player of the Week for Feb. 13-19. Brule had five goals and five assists in three games, helping the Giants go 3-0. ... Portland center Brandon Dubinsky had three assists in his first two games back from his knee injury. Dubinsky, who had been out since Jan. 7, helped the Winter Hawks earn two points, though Portland lost both games in a shootout. Portland won just twice in 18 games without Dubinsky. "He's coming," Portland coach Mike Williamson said following Saturday's 3-2 shootout loss at Everett. "His conditioning is still a little off, as well as his timing and sense of where people are. But he's an elite player, one of the best in the league, and I think he's going to get better and better with each game. I think he's already helped our team and I think he'll continue to give us a big boost. ... Seattle's Bryan Bridges and Calgary's Justin Pogge continue to jockey for the WHL record for career shutouts by a goalie. Bridges' 1-0 blanking of Tri-City on Sunday gave him 21, pulling one ahead of Pogge.

Tipped Off
02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Short-handed Silvertips win 3 in row, extend lead
By Jim Riley

The Seattle Times

The goal was just to survive.

The result was to thrive.

The Everett Silvertips pulled team captain Torrie Wheat out of the lineup to give his injured ankle a chance to completely heal, yet they still managed to win three straight games last week to stretch their lead in the U.S. Division to 11 points.

Everett, 34-20-2-2, could have a full lineup for one of the few times this season when the team returns to action Friday in Seattle.

Wheat, off the ice for 10 days, said his ankle had gotten better and that he would practice at least once before Friday's game.

"It was frustrating to watch, but it was also frustrating to try to play on a sore ankle because I didn't feel I could play to my full potential," Wheat said. "I'm not sure it will ever be 100 percent, but it's a lot better."

Wheat took a hard shot by Scott Jackson of the Seattle Thunderbirds off the side of his ankle and knew immediately it was no ordinary block.

"It just hit in a really bad spot," Wheat said. "I look forward to playing again and not taking off my skate and see a tennis ball appear on the side of my ankle."

It wasn't an easy decision to rest Wheat because Karel Hromas was already out with a cracked collarbone. When Brady Calla was helped off the ice after being awkwardly hit against the boards, the Silvertips moved Peter Mueller from center to the wing.

That gave Everett an all-star line of Zach Hamill, John Lammers and Mueller, and there was an immediate chemistry. It won't have to last, with Wheat and Hromas back this week and Calla not seriously injured.

"This is the first time we've been able to dress our best 20 skaters since the 13th game of the season," Wheat said. "We really feel like we haven't played our best hockey yet."

Besides having a leadership role as captain, Wheat is a key player on both of Everett's special-teams units that continue to rank near the top of the league.

Everett ranks third on the power play at 20 percent and fourth in penalty killing at 86.3 percent.

The Silvertips have 14 games left in the regular season to get ready for the playoffs, and it will be a grueling stretch.

Beginning Friday, the Silvertips will play eight games in 10 days while visiting Seattle, Kennewick and Portland. After that, the Silvertips are off to Prince George, B.C., for two games with the Cougars.

Best season yet?

With their next win, the Silvertips will tie the original 2003-04 team for most wins in the regular season. That first team went 35-27 with two losses in overtime and eight ties.

Who's hot in WHL

Vancouver center Gilbert Brule, who began this season in the National Hockey League, was the Western Hockey League's Player of the Week after scoring five goals and totaling 10 points in three wins. Vancouver, 41-14-0-6, is 12-2-0-2 since Brule returned after breaking his leg.

Seattle goaltender Bryan Bridges regained the record for career shutouts when he blanked the Tri-City Americans 1-0 on Sunday. Bridges has 21 shutouts in his WHL career, one more than Justin Pogge of Calgary.

A poll of writers covering the league has rated the Vancouver Giants as the WHL's top team. The Silvertips ranked seventh.