PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else embarrassed?

Triton
02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Besides me on our effort at the olympics?That has got to be the ****tiest performance at a tourny that I can recall.Don't know who to blame but I'am furious.

Triton
02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Pat Quinn needs to be fired.Why he was appointed the coach again I don't know.His Toronto team is crap.Why did Gretzky feel he could get this team going.Jeez I'm so pissed.

All thats left to say is..GO! Finland GO!...oh and GO! Brad Gushue's team in the Final.

Toswammi
02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Well first off i am proud of all those athletes that competed in the olympics and gave there all. Sadly the mens hockey team seemed to take this as a vacation. Is it me or did they just seem not to care? It was the most uninspired hockey, unphysical, team (if you can call it a team). They lacked any speed through the neutral zone & seemed slower than everyone else. Also for a best on best i was expecting more open ice, there was none, it seemed like most teams just sat back. With that said there is nothing wrong with hockey in Canada, (except for maybe Quinn, never liked him), but can t wait to hear what others think.

Dwight Schrute
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
canada broke my heart. simple as that

Triton
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM

Your having tough luck today Danno.Salo,Jovo,Ohlund all gone due to injury..Canada loses,and tonight the Raiders will lose.It's enough to have a hockey fan wanna hang himself.Yeah I had to wipe the tears from my eyes after watching Canada ***** the place up...again.

Jimmy
02-22-2006, 04:21 PM
They needed more youngsters on board that would come to play like it still meant something.

Triton
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
They needed more youngsters on board that would come to play like it still meant something.

I think alot of teams weren't focused on how to win the tourny,it was probably more or less a strategy on how to stop Canada..and their mission was completed.In 2010 we will win.Different team,different coach,motivation,home ice advantage like never before.That Olympics could and will be our best medal count ever.Thats what I think anyway.Well at least WJ's won gold and the Women's Canadian team.

WHEATMAN
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM

I hear that, But I still believe we sent the right team, as kelly Hrudey said "This team was built for 2 years ago" I believe that, this team just had a hard time finding an identity, and the lockout hurt alot of the guys who we thought would carry our team

am I dissapointed...YES so dissapointed, but in 2010 I think it will be a different story, this was probably the last olympics for our core group, and by 2010, Crosby, Staal, Speeza, Phaneuf, will finally be ready, and Luongo will likely be the starter, so we can just hope they develop, and bring the gold medal back to Canada

Carebear
02-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Exactly.

At least our boys in the World Juniors, and our women at the Olympics lived up to the reputation.

I say next Olympics we skip the NHL'ers and play our Juniors. :)

Triton
02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Exactly.

At least our boys in the World Juniors, and our women at the Olympics lived up to the reputation.

I say next Olympics we skip the NHL'ers and play our Juniors. :)

Just throw Medicine Hat or Vancouver in there and we'd shut em down.

WHEATMAN
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Todd Bertuzzi D+ Very bad, dumb PIM's with the exception of game 1
Shane Doan B- Excellent job as a checker and penalty killer
Kris Draper C- What I expected from Draper
Simon Gagne C- Average, I expected more from him
Jarome Iginla D Bad, hasn't rediscovered form since lockout
Vincent Lecavalier C Too many penalties, what i expected
Rick Nash D+ flares of excellence, was countereacted with bad play
Brad Richards D Shoot the puck when there is an open net
Joe Sakic B+ good job, good leadership, bad supporting cast for joe
Ryan Smyth B- good job as checker/ penalty kill
Martin St-Louis C barly noticed him
Joe Thornton B-liked what I saw, good defensivly, expected more on O
Dany Heatley C- seemed way to nervous

Wade Redden C couldn't keep the puck in the offensive zone
Robyn Regehr C- Average at best during tourney
Chris Pronger D expected more leadership on the ice
Bryan McCabe D Played Ok
Adam Foote C Expected better, didn't even notice him
Jay Bouwmeester B- Good job for a replacement player
Rob Blake C- No Physical Presence, can't see any big mistakes

Martin Brodeur A Excellent Play kept Canada in the mix
Roberto Luongo B- didn't see him play much, but played pretty good

we should have had Shanahan

Toswammi
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I was joking at the begining of the tourny that they should have went with last years world juniour team for the olympics. Now, i am left wondering...

Jimmy
02-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I was joking at the begining of the tourny that they should have went with last years world juniour team for the olympics. Now, i am left wondering...

Nothing to wonder about... look at who was on the Russia team that Canada schooled in 2005 juniors.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
the canadians came to these olympics as defending champions, and almost everyone expected perfection, and anything short of that was completly unacceptable. The Canadians were not hungry to win this tourny, unlike teams liek russia, the slovaks, swedes and finns. In 2010, they will be quite a force and the canadians should at least medal. The ice size was a factor too from what i hear so much on tv. Frankly i dont think 10 feet or whatever should make much of a difference.

I am also surprised that they did not choose paul kariya, brendan shanahan, or joe niewendyk to play for canada. being kariya was one of their top scorers and gets the shaft is beyond me

Getting back on topic, younger players like spezza, staal, crosby, and maybe phaneuf will have 4 extra years of experience behind careers, and i hope they put on a great performance to the home crowd that I might even be apart of, its a far trip from regina but why not go?

now im gonna root for swedan or finland to win these olympics, because after that upset from belarus, the swedes deserve more, or it might just be time for finland to surprise most and win, because they were severely underrated before this whole thing started, coming in with lots of injuries.

Triton
02-22-2006, 05:24 PM
I am also surprised that they did not choose paul kariya,joe niewendyk to play for canada. being kariya was one of their top scorers and gets the shaft is beyond me

Are you kidding?Niewendyk?Might as well of just went with the team from the '72 summit series.Paul Henderson could have scored the tying goal for Canada today and went flying like he did against the soviets.Maybe,and I say maybe Kariya,but no way in hell does Joe get on this team.Everyone will get theirs come 2010,just you wait and see.And yes kudos to Russia for advancing but I'm rooting for the Finns cause I'am half Finnish.My grand parents still live in Finland.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-22-2006, 05:33 PM
our 2002 team was full of older guys but i guess yeah, guys like joe just cant keep up, like yzerman and lemieux hes getting old. :thumb:

Tinner
02-22-2006, 05:36 PM
I think a lot of players were picked for the wrong reason. Canada has to pick the players who are hungry to play and I don't think this team was hungry enough. Is it time to change the coaching staff, yep, I think so.

Selfish might be the word of the day, but embarrassment certainly is how I would feel as a Team Canada member (player, coach or management)

Triton
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I think a lot of players were picked for the wrong reason. Canada has to pick the players who are hungry to play and I don't think this team was hungry enough. Is it time to change the coaching staff, yep, I think so.

Selfish might be the word of the day, but embarrassment certainly is how I would feel as a Team Canada member (player, coach or management)

I'm still wearing my paper bag..too embarrassed to show my face as a canadian.You might just see my bag at the game tonight.Could take a while before it comes off..lol

rinkrat
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Embarrassed? Thats a little harsh,remember the other teams want to win as much as Canada.They also have alot of talent.We can't win every championship,every year.I think alot of Canadians need to chill out and enjoy the remaining hockey games.Its not war,its a GAME! :D
I also think pointing the finger at individuals is petty and immature,remember the old saying..."you win as a team,and you LOSE as a team".

Triton
02-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Embarrassed? Thats a little harsh,remember the other teams want to win as much as Canada.They also have alot of talent.We can't win every championship,every year.I think alot of Canadians need to chill out and enjoy the remaining hockey games.Its not war,its a GAME! :D
I also think pointing the finger at individuals is petty and immature,remember the old saying..."you win as a team,and you LOSE as a team".

I'm not embarrassed we lost..it's how we lost,and the lack of effort.I could care less about how other teams want to win..you certainly don't go there to lose.We don't have to win every championship,but if we are gonna lose,I'd rather us lose going out with some effort and an attitude like they care.Didn't see that this past week or so.Us as fans,and even the media points fingers.It's what happens in sports.If your in the spotlight..your subject to being scrutinized and made for some sort of negative reaction,as well as positive.Thats comes with being an athlete.When you screw up everyone's on your case unfortunately.When you win,everyone's on your side.It's part of the job.They have learned to deal with it.

Tinner
02-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Canada is hockey, ask anybody if they care about other countries. If not embarrassed, be greatly dissappointed. Canada is hockey.

Triton
02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Canada is hockey, ask anybody if they care about other countries. If not embarrassed, be greatly dissappointed. Canada is hockey.

and Finkel is Einhorn! Einhorn is Finkel!

Gotta love Ace Ventura.

rinkrat
02-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm not embarrassed we lost..it's how we lost,and the lack of effort.I could care less about how other teams want to win..you certainly don't go there to lose.We don't have to win every championship,but if we are gonna lose,I'd rather us lose going out with some effort and an attitude like they care.Didn't see that this past week or so.Us as fans,and even the media points fingers.It's what happens in sports.If your in the spotlight..your subject to being scrutinized and made for some sort of negative reaction,as well as positive.Thats comes with being an athlete.When you screw up everyone's on your case unfortunately.When you win,everyone's on your side.It's part of the job.They have learned to deal with it.

Ya so, We're with them "win or win".
I prefer to stick with my teams win or lose(mostly lose for my teams btw).I'm sick of canadians criticizing the teams the minute they lose.Why would you want to represent your country?We seem to be the worse bandwagon fans.Its sickening really. Still lots of great hockey to be played.Pick a country and cheer them on! :rolleyes:

Hatguy
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I am dissapointed in our effort today and throughout the tourney. I blame this on Pat Quinn, I hate him so much. Our team just wasn't playing the game right, we wern't hitting at all. We couldn't score, the lines were put together badly. We needed a lot more speed. Todd Bertuzzi shouldn't have been on the team either. I would've liked seeing guys like Phaneuf, Crosby, Stall and Spezza on the team, but we should a great team in 2010!
No excuses, we should've won! This should be a good lesson for next time around.

Triton
02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I prefer to stick with my teams win or lose(mostly lose for my teams btw).I'm sick of canadians criticizing the teams the minute they lose.Why would you want to represent your country?We seem to be the worse bandwagon fans.Its sickening really. Still lots of great hockey to be played.Pick a country and cheer them on! :rolleyes:

Where abouts does it say that I hate Canada and Canada sucks?Yes I said that now Canada is out I'm cheering for Finland to win cause I'am Finnish,but in no way am I a bandwagon jumper.I'm with the team win or lose..take Brandon for example.And actually I'm entitled to my opinion win or lose,because I'AM A FAN!And if it wasn't for fans..there'd be no NHL.Get it,got it,good! I will always root for Canada no matter what you think or what you say.

Number_4
02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Perhaps we are getting a bit spoiled up north. For the last 5 years or so, Canada has done well in just about every major tourney... in fact, other than todays loss, I cant rememebr the last time we were so disapointed with our team. Canada has a repetation of being a strong hockey country, and we take so much pride in that that we tend to take that for granted.

I want to support our team and its players no matter what, however when they dont seem to care about the game and winning gold, its hard. I know the players are disapointed, and they have every right to be disapointed in themselves, because in reality, they let themselves down first, us second. Its a heavy burden to carry, and hopefully these players will improve after the Olymipcs and make the NHL interesting to watch again.

So many people were blaming Pat Quinn, but how about the selection committee that included Wayne Gretsky? They chose to go with an older core of players (many of which were battleing injuries and shouldnt have been playing). Why not take a chance and put a few young guys in, even just for experience. I dont think our team is going to be great in 2010, in fact I think we are probebly going to do about the same. Without young
guys that have experience, they are still not all going to be accoustomed to playing in the international stage. We might do better, but I think that Wayne and co. forgot one important thing: training for the future.

Something else to think about. The Americans lost today to. Do you hear our American members crying about how angry they are?

rinkrat
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Where abouts does it say that I hate Canada and Canada sucks? I will always root for Canada no matter what you think or what you say.

No where in my post(s) have I said that you stated ANY one of the above.
Sorry if you're having trouble reading tonight,but please don't pin those statements on me.Thank-you. :spineyes:

LifelongChiefsFan
02-22-2006, 08:39 PM
If it's any consolation, the US lost too!! :dead: :dead:

But seriously, I was suprised at the Canadians lack of effort in the tournament. Ever since they got shut down by Gerber, they just didn't have it anymore. Although dissapointing I'm sure, it will just get you guys more excited about the 2010 olympics. That Canadian team should kick some ass! :thumb:

nivek_wahs
02-23-2006, 02:57 AM
I'm sure I will get ripped but here goes my opinion...

It sucks that we lost, but hindsight is always 20/20.

This team will be 2nd guessed until 2010 for lack of this and that or the inclusion of him or the exclusion of him but the fact is THEY LOST. End of story. No one player cost them the tournament... I think hockey is a TEAM SPORT if I'm not mistaken.

Is it the end of the world? I don't think so, my ticker is still ticking. Am I upset that they lost? O ya. But life goes on.

There is so many questions that need to be answered... from a fans/media standpoint I agree but, we have to get over it. Other hockey nations are getting better/more prominent (not saying that they were bad before). The European teams have learned to adapt to any situation and fix the problem. It didn't seem as though Canada or the Americans could figure out how to right their sinking ship(s). Let's face it we lost. I will NEVER EVER cheer against Canada but maybe this is a wake-up call for the Hockey Canada (US Hockey too) brass to step up and make changes... right from the top down. I dunno.

But lost in all of the hockey woes was a terrific day for Canadian atheletes... Chandra Crawford won Gold in Cross-Country Skiing (1.1km Sprint)... Cindy Klassen won Gold in Speed Skating (1500m Long-track)... Kristina Groves won Silver in Speed Skating (1500m Long-track)... Women's short-track Speed Skating (Alanna Kraus, Anouk Leblanc-Boucher, Tania Vincent, Kalyna Roberge, Amanda Overland) won Silver (3000m relay).

O well that's my 2 cents,
Kevin

Triton
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
But lost in all of the hockey woes was a terrific day for Canadian atheletes... Chandra Crawford won Gold in Cross-Country Skiing (1.1km Sprint)... Cindy Klassen won Gold in Speed Skating (1500m Long-track)... Kristina Groves won Silver in Speed Skating (1500m Long-track)... Women's short-track Speed Skating (Alanna Kraus, Anouk Leblanc-Boucher, Tania Vincent, Kalyna Roberge, Amanda Overland) won Silver (3000m relay).

Don't forget about Brad Gushue and team Canada advancing in mens curling to the gold medal game against Finland.We actually this year have won more medals this winter games than ever before.That is something to be proud of.Now if we could have turned all those 4th place finishes into medals we'd be killing.I care about Canada and what happened,but it isn't the end of the world,and frankly there are more important things to worry about in life than hockey.Yesterday I was cheesed,but I got over it..with Brandon's win last night.

JDubb
02-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I can't say that I watched every single game as I think I saw about 6 periods total, but I didn't see them score a goal. Like everybody else I don't think the effort was there and there was zero intensity. I, for one, don't agree with NHLer's playing in the Olympics. They are already in the spotlight and in events where typically amateurs excel and have a chance to prove themselves why do NHLer's need to take over.

It is like the lockout and they go steal people's jobs in Europe. It took me a while to actually watch hockey this year, but getting back into it. I am a loyal baseball person though and excited for the season. Again, I am unsure about this World Baseball Challenge, but we will see. I guarantee that Canadian kids in that will be giving it everything they got, as most of them are trying to make a name for themselves against the powerhouses.

It would be nice if hockey was like that. I look at a guy like Jamie Heward who couldn't stay in the NHL, excelled in the world championships and is now back in the NHL and excelling. It would be nice for more stories like this.

Tiger Trauma
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
As i watched the final game I kept yelling at the tv screen :mad:

There were some players who didn't look like they were playing with all thier heart. The team I hope that wins is finland. They impressed me the most out of everyone, they play a good team game....and they go all out whether its teemu selanne or their 4th line grinders...

A couple players i would have changed for team canada(after watching their play)
IN
Spezza
Crosby
Staal
Phaneuf

Out
Pronger
Bertuzzi
Draper
St. Louis
Mccabe
Foote
I didn't watch every game..I only caught about half their games. Its sure dissapointing..having the best talent pool in the tourney and not being able to come up with a medal. It looked like the players for the most part were giving a good first effort..but there was no second or third effort.(exept burtuzzi who looked like a floater, escpecially in the game vs russia)

Whats with Malkin taking a swing at lecavlier?....

I guess we cant win them all...but the thing I'm most disapointed about is getting shut out 3 of the 6 games they played....we are really lucky to have the best hockey nation in the world, but it just goes to show that nothing is given to you!

Crosby rules
03-03-2006, 04:26 PM
3 words for u all. Todd Bertuzzi, & old

bandwagonboy
03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Yes, quite frankly I was embaressed over the way the men's team played at the olympics.

OK, in order for me to support a team I expect a few things from them. I expect effort, preparation, and for them to play with a little heart. I saw none of those things from the men's olympic hockey team. If you want to represent Canada you should expect to put a little bit of preperation into it. Having two practices before entering compitition isn't going in prepared. If the NHL is so important to them that they couldn't take two weeks off to prepare as a team then they shouldn't have went over there at all. A better question is if the NHL is so important that they can't take a few games away to prepare then why weren't they playing last year? Look at Brent Sutter. The man owns the Red Deer Rebels. He's choosen to lead team Canada and he takes a great deal of time away from a team in which he has millions of dollars invested in just so Canada is represented properly. Why can't we see that level of commitment from Quinn?