PDA

View Full Version : Gagnon article

Number_4
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM

The Oracle: Coyotes prospect Aaron Gagnon

Shane Malloy / Special to FOXSports.com

When a player is chosen in the eighth round of the National Hockey League Entry Draft, he is usually dismissed. Aaron Gagnon, who was picked 240th overall by the Phoenix Coyotes in 2004, may show that how he started his NHL journey will have little bearing on where he ends up.

When the native of Armstrong, B.C., was drafted, the NHL was a much different environment. It was primarily a big man's game in which smaller players need not apply. However, with the post-lockout rule changes, Gagnon, at 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds, will get more of an opportunity to shine. The new NHL is all about speed and Gagnon has it in spades.
The new rules at the pro level have not been lost on Gagnon, as he understands clearly what he needs to make the next jump in his hockey career.

"I know my skating is my strength, but a small guy like me has to be much better than everyone else," Gagnon said. "There are some areas I need to work on — my overall strength and defensive responsibilities — if I want to make it to the NHL."

Gagnon's coach with the Western Hockey League's Seattle Thunderbirds, Rob Sumner, believes in Gagnon's ability, not only in the offensive zone, but also in his all-round play and his skills off the ice.

"He is a guy you can count on in all areas, offensively and defensively. He is strong on face-offs, on top of being a very good penalty killer," Sumner said. "He is our captain here and he is a big leader for us in all areas."

Whenever people talk about Gagnon, his speed and quickness is always mentioned. Sumner said there's a reason for that.

"He is a phenomenal skater," he said. "He is not the biggest guy but he never loses battles and he always gets there first. For my money he is one of the fastest, if not the fastest guy."

After experiencing the Phoenix Coyotes, camp last year Gagnon remarked at the differences between the the WHL and the NHL.

"The speed of the game stood out for me in terms of thinking quickly and making decisions," Gagnon said. "When guys get the puck on their tape it is off almost immediately and you have to learn to break to holes and understand that someone is going to be on top of you constantly."

Fortunately, for Gagnon, it was his speed that was the attraction for the Thunderbirds and the Coyotes.

Now in his fourth and most likely final season in the WHL, the 19-year-old speedster has compiled 152 points through 243 career WHL games to date. He has been hampered this season with a wrist injury that forced him to sit out 10 games and curtailed his offensive numbers.

The wrist ailment has also been part of an important lesson about the mental and emotional aspects of dealing with injuries and not letting them affect one's confidence.

"I started the season and two games in I am hurt," Gagnon said. "To go through an injury like that for six weeks was hard since most of it was a mental challenge more than physical to not let that pull you down."

As The Oracle gazes into the crystal ball, it looks as if Aaron Gagnon's future has unique potential and he will go as far as his passion and speed take him. He has shown the same intangibles and playing style as Todd Marchant of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. The Coyotes have had plenty of first-hand experience in trying to defend against Marchant this season so perhaps Gagnon can eventually bring a similarly effective playing style to Phoenix.

Should the Coyotes show the necessary patience with his development, do not be shocked if Gagnon becomes one of those late-round draft choices who blossoms with time. Gagnon is the type of player that can escape notice and slip down the through the rounds of the NHL draft, but nevertheless goes on to enjoy an NHL career.

nelson951
02-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Gagnon is the heart and soul of the team.
Now if he could only finish he'd lead the league in goals!!!